Page 49 of 120 FirstFirst ... 3947484950515999 ... LastLast
Results 481 to 490 of 1198

Thread: Protests over Missouri teen's death turn violent[W:647,807]

  1. #481
    Sage

    ocean515's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,705

    re: Protests over Missouri teen's death turn violent[W:647,807]

    Quote Originally Posted by Unitedwestand13 View Post
    they need to identify the cop in order to bring charges against him.

    2+3-1=4
    So you think the police department will refuse for the rest of eternity to release the name of the officer involved?

    No, can't be. Nobody is that ignorant. I must be misunderstanding your point.

    Since the officers name is a matter of public record, and the only reason his identity is being withheld at this point just to protect his life, and that of his family, the effort to uncover and release his name has one purpose. To see harm come to him, and likely his family as well.

    2+2=4

  2. #482
    Don't Give a Rat's Ass
    SMTA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    OH
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    21,885

    Protests over Missouri teen's death turn violent

    Quote Originally Posted by Unitedwestand13 View Post
    they need to identify the cop in order to bring charges against him.

    2+3-1=4
    Which will involve impaneling a grand jury.

    That should be quite interesting.
    Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher
    Baby sister, I was born game and I intend to go out that way - Rooster Cogburn

  3. #483
    Don't Give a Rat's Ass
    SMTA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    OH
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    21,885

    re: Protests over Missouri teen's death turn violent[W:647,807]

    Quote Originally Posted by Thorgasm View Post
    Someone has a crush on me.
    You done got yourself a bona fide stalker!
    Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher
    Baby sister, I was born game and I intend to go out that way - Rooster Cogburn

  4. #484
    Sage

    ocean515's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,705

    re: Protests over Missouri teen's death turn violent[W:647,807]

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    Because as a public official they work for the public and when you kill someone in the public you are held responsible. And in Missouri there is something called the "Sunshine Law"
    ACLU Files Sunshine Law Requests To ID Officer Who Shot Michael Brown
    I haven't read anywhere that the Police Department plans to never release the officers name. Under the circumstances, the Police Department has a duty to protect it's employees and it's citizens. It is reasonable to withhold the identity of the officer in light of the charged atmosphere. Probably wouldn't be good when vigilates try to storm the officers house, and they are mowed down by friends trying to protect the officer.

    Under such circumstances, the Police Chief could be held liable for anything that happens, because in his position, he should have known something would have happened.

  5. #485
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 01:26 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,997

    re: Protests over Missouri teen's death turn violent[W:647,807]

    Depending on your view, the supposed victim, or the supposed criminal/thug.


    Sharptongue’s Ferguson Follies, Day 5 | The Last Refuge
    Last edited by Excon; 08-14-14 at 01:42 PM.
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

  6. #486
    Sage
    Lutherf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    24,700

    re: Protests over Missouri teen's death turn violent[W:647,807]

    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    So you think the police department will refuse for the rest of eternity to release the name of the officer involved?

    No, can't be. Nobody is that ignorant. I must be misunderstanding your point.

    Since the officers name is a matter of public record, and the only reason his identity is being withheld at this point just to protect his life, and that of his family, the effort to uncover and release his name has one purpose. To see harm come to him, and likely his family as well.

    2+2=4
    In situations like this it's important to feed the animals. At this point they've already eaten a decent portion of the stuff they had immediately available and now they're looking for more.

  7. #487
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    re: Protests over Missouri teen's death turn violent[W:647,807]

    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    I haven't read anywhere that the Police Department plans to never release the officers name. Under the circumstances, the Police Department has a duty to protect it's employees and it's citizens. It is reasonable to withhold the identity of the officer in light of the charged atmosphere. Probably wouldn't be good when vigilates try to storm the officers house, and they are mowed down by friends trying to protect the officer.

    Under such circumstances, the Police Chief could be held liable for anything that happens, because in his position, he should have known something would have happened.
    There are things called laws. They, even the police department must follow this thing called laws.


  8. #488
    Sage
    Unitedwestand13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Sunnyvale California
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    14,987

    re: Protests over Missouri teen's death turn violent[W:647,807]

    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    So you think the police department will refuse for the rest of eternity to release the name of the officer involved?

    No, can't be. Nobody is that ignorant. I must be misunderstanding your point.

    Since the officers name is a matter of public record, and the only reason his identity is being withheld at this point just to protect his life, and that of his family, the effort to uncover and release his name has one purpose. To see harm come to him, and likely his family as well.

    2+2=4
    let me throw a curveball at your math equation

    St. Louis County Police to Be Removed From Ferguson: Clay - Bloomberg

    Missouri Governor Jay Nixon will announce that St. Louis County law enforcement will be relieved of duty in Ferguson, which has been roiled by protests after the shooting death by police of an unarmed teenager, according to Representative William Lacy Clay.

    “The governor just called me, and he’s on his way to St. Louis now to announce he’s taking away St. Louis County police out of the situation,” Clay, a Missouri Democrat, said in a telephone interview. He added that Nixon may ask the U.S. Federal Bureau of Investigation to step in.

    Clay said that he has been urging U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder to “take over the entire situation because we will not get justice for Michael Brown and his family and friends if the St. Louis County police and prosecutor have a say.”

    Police and protesters in the St. Louis suburb are engaged in a standoff entering its sixth day in the wake of the Aug. 9 shooting of Brown. Police say the 18-year-old had fought the officer over his weapon, while Ferguson residents say Brown was shot while putting his hands up in surrender.
    to quote a popular internet meme
    "what a twist!"
    "If you can't stand the way this place is, Take yourself to higher places!"
    Break, By Three days grace

    Hilliary Clinton/Tim Kaine 2016

  9. #489
    Guru
    Gringo allstar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Detroit area
    Last Seen
    07-27-17 @ 05:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,215

    re: Protests over Missouri teen's death turn violent[W:647,807]

    Thugs are sooo misunderstood.

  10. #490
    Light△Bender

    grip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ☚ ☛
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 02:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,224
    Blog Entries
    2

    re: Protests over Missouri teen's death turn violent[W:647,807]

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    Missouri police shooting of teen Michael Brown sparks protests, looting, vandalism - CBS News


    The looting and violence is in response to the shooting of Michael Brown when, according to police, Brown and another man assaulted the police officer, there was a struggle and shots were fired, ultimately killing Brown. The two men in the alleged assault were not armed. However, a different account was provided by one Dorian Johnson, who says the struggle was initiated by the police officer, who assaulted Brown - Brown broke free and started to run when the police officer then shot Brown.

    The point of this post is NOT justifying or dismissing the shooting which was the flashpoint of the violence (though I am resigned to the fact it will devolve into that at some point) but I'm more interested in why looting is the preferred method of showing distrust and dissatisfaction with police actions, when the owners of these stores which were broken into have absolutely NOTHING to do with the police shooting. Why is looting and destroying innocent people's livelihoods the preferred method of action in these circumstances? We see this time and time again - and I'm reminded of the 1992 So.Central LA riots.
    I think it's their only way of showing intense dissatisfaction with the current structure of society. This is obviously not just rioting over the perceived prejudice of the police, but of the controlling political and economic forces in general. Rioting of this nature with looting and destruction of property is common all over the world, when a group feels they have been treated unjustly.

    Look at the Anti-austerity protests in Europe, since the Recession, and the Arab Spring started out similar, till it turned into social revolutions.
    Einstein, "science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

Page 49 of 120 FirstFirst ... 3947484950515999 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •