Page 40 of 120 FirstFirst ... 3038394041425090 ... LastLast
Results 391 to 400 of 1198

Thread: Protests over Missouri teen's death turn violent[W:647,807]

  1. #391
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Last Seen
    08-25-17 @ 02:13 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,127

    re: Protests over Missouri teen's death turn violent[W:647,807]

    Quote Originally Posted by Cryptic View Post
    Not to split hairs, but I dont think tear gas per se, is not banned in combat. Rather, it is technically permissable so long as it is not used as a lethal asphixciant (thrown into bunkers where the people cannot get out and suffocate etc). It can be used to cover retreats etc.
    It's actually banned. Lachrymatory agents are banned under 1925 Geneva Protocol and the Chemical Weapons Convention. US can make it and use it against civilians as long as it's reported.
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. It is inaccurate to say that I hate everything. I am strongly in favor of common sense, common honesty, and common decency. This makes me forever ineligible for public office. H.L Mencken

  2. #392
    cynical class clown
    Luftwaffe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    CONNECTICUT
    Last Seen
    11-18-17 @ 10:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    10,499

    re: Protests over Missouri teen's death turn violent[W:647,807]

    Quote Originally Posted by Capster78 View Post
    If you try to lock these guys up, and one resists and another shooting happens.. We will hear all about how it was the officers fault again.. And this will be a never ending issue. I say we should gate off crime ridden communities like this, post the army around them and let them all shoot each other until all of them are dead.
    Back to reality with you.
    -----MOS 19D = cavalry scout = best damn MOS there is

  3. #393
    cynical class clown
    Luftwaffe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    CONNECTICUT
    Last Seen
    11-18-17 @ 10:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    10,499

    re: Protests over Missouri teen's death turn violent[W:647,807]

    Quote Originally Posted by austrianecon View Post
    It's actually banned. Lachrymatory agents are banned under 1925 Geneva Protocol and the Chemical Weapons Convention. US can make it and use it against civilians as long as it's reported.
    You understand there were quite a few things the U.S didn't recognize from things in Geneva?

    The U.S has done nothing unlawful, because there was no law to begin with. We didn't accept it.
    -----MOS 19D = cavalry scout = best damn MOS there is

  4. #394
    Hates Kittens
    NonoBadDog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Mountains
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    15,264
    Blog Entries
    1

    re: Protests over Missouri teen's death turn violent[W:647,807]

    Quote Originally Posted by Thorgasm View Post
    My father was also a marksmanship trainer too. You obviously know what you are talking about when it comes to ammo. Police around here are required to qualify regularly.

    With that said, I don't think it really matters what grain or load you use when shooting an unarmed man running away from you. From what I understand, his body was 35 ft. from the car, where the altercation started. He was unarmed. While I am assuming things, I assume that the eyewitnesses probably have that part correct. It's not like they all got together and got their story straight because he was the first man the police in St. Louis have ever shot and killed.
    For the sake of everyone long term I hope that is wrong. If it isn't they need to fry the cop. When a person applies for a position of authority and then abuses it they should get twice what a normal person gets. They know better. They are in a trusted position. They are representing the rest of the people that are in that agency. There should be no quarter given to someone that abuses that authority.

  5. #395
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Last Seen
    08-25-17 @ 02:13 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,127

    re: Protests over Missouri teen's death turn violent[W:647,807]

    Quote Originally Posted by Luftwaffe View Post
    You understand there were quite a few things the U.S didn't recognize from things in Geneva?

    The U.S has done nothing unlawful, because there was no law to begin with. We didn't accept it.
    You do realize the US signed BOTH, right?

    And I never said US hasn't done anything unlawful as they haven't used it in combat. I just stated it's ironic a weapon that's banned under the Geneva Convention and the CWC is used against civilians, that is all.
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. It is inaccurate to say that I hate everything. I am strongly in favor of common sense, common honesty, and common decency. This makes me forever ineligible for public office. H.L Mencken

  6. #396
    Pragmatic Idealist
    upsideguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Rocky Mtn. High
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,105

    re: Protests over Missouri teen's death turn violent[W:647,807]

    As a sidebar, but because this is a teachable moment, one should take note of the intensity of the underlying racial tension, which contrary to the belief of some, still very much exist. Should the Republicans do the stupid and actually impeach and convict Barack Obama next year, what is happening in Fergueson will play out in every major US city.... and when some over militarized police officer actually pulls the trigger, and it will happen, we will send race relations (and urban security) back 50 years.....
    Last edited by upsideguy; 08-14-14 at 01:24 AM.

  7. #397
    cynical class clown
    Luftwaffe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    CONNECTICUT
    Last Seen
    11-18-17 @ 10:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    10,499

    re: Protests over Missouri teen's death turn violent[W:647,807]

    Quote Originally Posted by austrianecon View Post
    You do realize the US signed BOTH, right?

    And I never said US hasn't done anything unlawful as they haven't used it in combat. I just stated it's ironic a weapon that's banned under the Geneva Convention and the CWC is used against civilians, that is all.
    You do realize the U.S has un-withdrawn reservations which therefor limit the applicability of the provisions of said protocol?
    -----MOS 19D = cavalry scout = best damn MOS there is

  8. #398
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,691

    re: Protests over Missouri teen's death turn violent[W:647,807]

    Quote Originally Posted by upsideguy View Post
    As a sidebar, but because this is a teachable moment, one should take note of the intensity of the underlying racial tension, which contrary to the belief of some, still very much exist. Should the Republicans do the stupid and actually impeach and convict Barack Obama next year, what is happening in Fergueson will play out in every major US city.... and when some over militarized police officer actually pulls the trigger, and it will happen, we will send race relations (and urban security) back 50 years.....
    "teachable moment"...



    Still cracks me up...

  9. #399
    Sage
    Moot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:24 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    27,467

    re: Protests over Missouri teen's death turn violent[W:647,807]

    Quote Originally Posted by Capster78 View Post
    If you try to lock these guys up, and one resists and another shooting happens.. We will hear all about how it was the officers fault again.. And this will be a never ending issue. I say we should gate off crime ridden communities like this, post the army around them and let them all shoot each other until all of them are dead.
    Or the police could just stop harassing them for being black.

  10. #400
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,090

    re: Protests over Missouri teen's death turn violent[W:647,807]

    The police are going bat crazy there.. arresting journalists, gassing the public and probably worse.
    PeteEU

Page 40 of 120 FirstFirst ... 3038394041425090 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •