Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 61

Thread: NASCAR's Tony Stewart hits, kills driver

  1. #31
    dangerously addictive
    americanwoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    17,436

    Re: NASCAR's Tony Stewart hits, kills driver

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    Ever seen one catch on fire?

    I have. Depending on the fuel they're running, often times you can't see the flames.

    You don't want to be strapped into a race car that's a sitting duck after it's been involved in a crash.
    It's also a way to show your crew and family you're okay.
    The first thing the emergency crews are going to do is get you out of car when they get there.
    Good points. But if all the cars are speeding past you, what's the best thing to do?
    I call my own shots, largely based on an accumulation of data, and everyone knows it.
    _____________________________________________

  2. #32
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Last Seen
    12-16-17 @ 02:43 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,940

    Re: NASCAR's Tony Stewart hits, kills driver

    Leta not forget drag racing which is explosion propelling a vehicle top 300+ mph in four seconds. ALL racing is dangerous and some down right stupid. But it is loved world wide so get over it.

  3. #33
    Sage
    Dragonfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    East Coast - USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:32 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    15,566

    Re: NASCAR's Tony Stewart hits, kills driver

    Quote Originally Posted by americanwoman View Post
    Good points. But if all the cars are speeding past you, what's the best thing to do?
    Get out of wrecked car. Move to outside of track (in this case). Wait for track emergency crews.

    A stopped/wrecked car on a short track brings out a full course yellow flag.

    The protocol for drivers still in race is to SAFELY slow down, no passing or racing allowed at that point, move down track (in this case), and provide room for crews to safely remove wreck.
    It's possible ambulance, tow truck, and/or push vehicle would need to gain access to wreck.

  4. #34
    Sage
    Dragonfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    East Coast - USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:32 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    15,566

    Re: NASCAR's Tony Stewart hits, kills driver

    Quote Originally Posted by rhinefire View Post
    Leta not forget drag racing which is explosion propelling a vehicle top 300+ mph in four seconds. ALL racing is dangerous and some down right stupid. But it is loved world wide so get over it.
    What's any of this got to do with anything???

    Walking down stairs is dangerous.

  5. #35
    Sage
    jmotivator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,709

    Re: NASCAR's Tony Stewart hits, kills driver

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    Ever seen one catch on fire?

    I have. Depending on the fuel they're running, often times you can't see the flames.

    You don't want to be strapped into a race car that's a sitting duck after it's been involved in a crash.
    It's also a way to show your crew and family you're okay.
    The first thing the emergency crews are going to do is get you out of car when they get there.

    That isn't advisable even on asphalt, let alone a dirt track.

    If you aren't on fire you sit in the car and wait for the emergency crew.
    Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he stops voting for the Free Fish party.

  6. #36
    Sage
    Fenton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:51 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,325

    Re: NASCAR's Tony Stewart hits, kills driver

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    I never said any of the above.

    I used to roadrace motorcycles. I know what yellow flags mean.

    Please re-read what I said.

    I read it.

    You said that because of the yellow flag Stewart had enough control to avoid the kid.

    Google Tom Pryce.

    He was a F1 driver who lost his life when a he hit a Track Marshal who had raced out onto the track under a yellow flag condition.

    Or you could just watch the video of Stewart hitting the kid.

  7. #37
    Sage
    Fenton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:51 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,325

    Re: NASCAR's Tony Stewart hits, kills driver

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    Ever seen one catch on fire?

    I have. Depending on the fuel they're running, often times you can't see the flames.

    You don't want to be strapped into a race car that's a sitting duck after it's been involved in a crash.
    It's also a way to show your crew and family you're okay.
    The first thing the emergency crews are going to do is get you out of car when they get there.

    That's Methanol, which is used in Indy Cars because it remaims stable under extremely high compression ratios.

    Not Sprint Cars or Top Fuel Dragsters.

    Yes the Flames can be " invisible " and are hotter than flames from other types of fuel.

  8. #38
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,193

    Re: NASCAR's Tony Stewart hits, kills driver

    I've got to tell you, I've watched the youtube video now (I hadn't before). One thing that catches me is that you hear an engine revving just before Stewart hit him. Not sure if the two things are connected, but he was not travelling fast at the time of the crash. He didn't seem to lose control of the car, and other drivers were able to avoid hitting the other driver before Stewart was apparently unable to.

    That is strange. I wonder if he was trying to pass close to him and misjudged? In which case...definitely culpable even if he didn't intend to hit him.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  9. #39
    Sage
    Fenton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:51 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,325

    Re: NASCAR's Tony Stewart hits, kills driver

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    I've got to tell you, I've watched the youtube video now (I hadn't before). One thing that catches me is that you hear an engine revving just before Stewart hit him. Not sure if the two things are connected, but he was not travelling fast at the time of the crash. He didn't seem to lose control of the car, and other drivers were able to avoid hitting the other driver before Stewart was apparently unable to.

    That is strange. I wonder if he was trying to pass close to him and misjudged? In which case...definitely culpable even if he didn't intend to hit him.
    Some fans reported that Stewart sped up prior to hitting the other driver
    Last edited by Fenton; 08-11-14 at 06:08 PM.

  10. #40
    Dungeon Master
    Chicks dig the long ball

    azgreg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:30 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,142

    Re: NASCAR's Tony Stewart hits, kills driver

    This slow motion video supposedly shows that Stewart was on the brakes when he made contact with Ward. The quality is too low for me to tell on my monitor.

    I have CDO, it's like OCD but the letters are in alphabetical order like they should be.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •