Page 16 of 35 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 160 of 344

Thread: Judge rules Ten Commandments monument must go

  1. #151
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: Judge rules Ten Commandments monument must go

    Quote Originally Posted by Thrilla View Post
    well, I guess you'll have to settle for not having momuments..everythign else you listed is allowable.
    Where did I list anything "allowable"? My post about satanism was sarcastic.

    as an aside, what is your position on taxing churches?.... do you like them having tax exempt status, or do you want them to pay taxes?
    I dont have a solid position on this argument. I see the argument for both sides.


  2. #152
    Advisor Swit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-13-16 @ 12:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    390

    Re: Judge rules Ten Commandments monument must go

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    Where did I list anything "allowable"? My post about satanism was sarcastic.


    I dont have a solid position on this argument. I see the argument for both sides.
    I say tax em. At least here in America churches (some, think of the mega-churches. not all) appear at face value to be profit oriented.

  3. #153
    Sage

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Texas, Vegas, Colombia
    Last Seen
    11-28-16 @ 06:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,295

    Re: Judge rules Ten Commandments monument must go

    Quote Originally Posted by Swit View Post
    Lol.... yeah I actually always wanted some flying spaghetti monster ones but never got them.
    Can you explain a little more than it's extreme? I mean it is Federally recognized. I understand its a very offensive religion to the Christians.... but by the same note Christianity is probably extremely offensive to Satanists. Are you implying that just because its a "fringe" (low population?) religion, the governement should be allowed to discriminate against it (i.e. denying their permit for placement of their display whilst granting the Christian one)?
    it's fringe becasue it doesn't have the social standing of the 3 major religions... and no, i'm not saying that would justify discrimination
    if he looking for hypocrisy, which he most certainly is, he could use any other major religion,. he chose the one that has like 8 people following it... the
    he's comparing the nations top religion with the very least regliion ... IE ..extreme comparison.

    I'm not really an infidel... i just did it becasue i'm an asshole and i thought it would be cool to see if a chaplain would show up to give my my last rites if I put "infidel" down
    in 1969,when i enlisted, I was a Mormon... the LDS was not regocnized by the DOD at that time( or so i was told).... it wasn't until the late 70's that i could put my real religion on my tags... it wasn't until the late 80's that I actaully put my real religion in my tags

  4. #154
    Sage

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Texas, Vegas, Colombia
    Last Seen
    11-28-16 @ 06:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,295

    Re: Judge rules Ten Commandments monument must go

    Quote Originally Posted by Swit View Post
    I say tax em. At least here in America churches (some, think of the mega-churches. not all) appear at face value to be profit oriented.
    spearation of church and state is supposed ot go both ways... why do you only support it going one way and oppose it going the other?

  5. #155
    Sage

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Texas, Vegas, Colombia
    Last Seen
    11-28-16 @ 06:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,295

    Re: Judge rules Ten Commandments monument must go

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    Where did I list anything "allowable"? My post about satanism was sarcastic.
    yoiur list of things you don't want ( god on money, etc) ... all of them are allowable.

    I dont have a solid position on this argument. I see the argument for both sides.
    interesting.

  6. #156
    Sage

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Texas, Vegas, Colombia
    Last Seen
    11-28-16 @ 06:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,295

    Re: Judge rules Ten Commandments monument must go

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Liberals are impossible to get along with.
    some are very cool... some are stone cold assholes with no redeeming qualities.

  7. #157
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: Judge rules Ten Commandments monument must go

    Quote Originally Posted by Thrilla View Post
    yoiur list of things you don't want ( god on money, etc) ... all of them are allowable.
    By current law. And I disagree with that law.


    interesting.
    Yup.


  8. #158
    Advisor Swit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-13-16 @ 12:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    390

    Re: Judge rules Ten Commandments monument must go

    Quote Originally Posted by Thrilla View Post
    it's fringe becasue it doesn't have the social standing of the 3 major religions... and no, i'm not saying that would justify discrimination
    if he looking for hypocrisy, which he most certainly is, he could use any other major religion,. he chose the one that has like 8 people following it... the
    he's comparing the nations top religion with the very least regliion ... IE ..extreme comparison.

    I'm not really an infidel... i just did it becasue i'm an asshole and i thought it would be cool to see if a chaplain would show up to give my my last rites if I put "infidel" down
    in 1969,when i enlisted, I was a Mormon... the LDS was not regocnized by the DOD at that time( or so i was told).... it wasn't until the late 70's that i could put my real religion on my tags... it wasn't until the late 80's that I actaully put my real religion in my tags
    OK... i get it now.... I was taking the line of looking at it like this:

    Federally recognized religion A's display gets "approved"
    Federally recognized religion B's display gets "denied
    Government is showing preferential treatment for Federally recognized religion A over Federally recognized religion B

    But yes I see what you are saying.... but at least in my eyes (as a non-believer) they are both the same if they both meet whatever qualifications are needed to be Federally recognized.

  9. #159
    Advisor Swit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-13-16 @ 12:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    390

    Re: Judge rules Ten Commandments monument must go

    Quote Originally Posted by Thrilla View Post
    spearation of church and state is supposed ot go both ways... why do you only support it going one way and oppose it going the other?
    I don't understand what separation of church and state has to do with taxation. They were given a tax break NOT becuase of the separation of church and state but primarily because they were viewed as humanitarian institutions and basically non-profits. Once the televangelists and the mega-churches used religion as a cover to avoid paying taxes I believe that situation goes out the window. But it doesn't matter what I think. I would just prefer that those persons that are using religion to 1. scam people out of their money and 2. shelter themselves from tax liabilities on those gains should not be allowed to do so. Just my 2 cents.

  10. #160
    Hot Flash Mama
    Summerwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Last Seen
    01-23-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,010

    Re: Judge rules Ten Commandments monument must go

    Quote Originally Posted by Swit View Post
    I don't understand what separation of church and state has to do with taxation. They were given a tax break NOT becuase of the separation of church and state but primarily because they were viewed as humanitarian institutions and basically non-profits. Once the televangelists and the mega-churches used religion as a cover to avoid paying taxes I believe that situation goes out the window. But it doesn't matter what I think. I would just prefer that those persons that are using religion to 1. scam people out of their money and 2. shelter themselves from tax liabilities on those gains should not be allowed to do so. Just my 2 cents.
    Even before televangelists and such, the Catholic church surely gathered plenty of riches and land instead of pursuing humanitarian issues.
    jallman: "It's all good. At least you have a thick skin and can take being poked fun back at without crying. "

Page 16 of 35 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •