Page 15 of 35 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 344

Thread: Judge rules Ten Commandments monument must go

  1. #141
    Sage
    Visbek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:16 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,003

    Re: Judge rules Ten Commandments monument must go

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Technically, they can't. Why aren't the atheists going after the satan monument in Oklahoma City?
    Because it hasn't been approved, let alone installed. Legally, there is nothing to go after.

    The 10 Commandments monument in Oklahoma City is under legal review, and the city council is refusing to consider any additional monuments until the case is resolved.

  2. #142
    Sage

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Texas, Vegas, Colombia
    Last Seen
    11-28-16 @ 06:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,295

    Re: Judge rules Ten Commandments monument must go

    Quote Originally Posted by Swit View Post
    I think he was pointing out that the people that are upset at this ruling would attempt to deny displays of other religions (in this case Satanism) from public spaces whilst defending their position of keeping the 10 commandments there. In other words they're asking that the government provide preferential treatment to one religion over another. Basically I believe he was just trying to point out the hypocrisy of the situation.
    yes, I know... the habit of using an extreme comparisons in order to prove some sort of hypocrisy is rather common on political forums.

    "Let me know when a religious group can put this"...that's not a statment in opposition to those particular symbols going up. <shrugs>

    overall, I don't care much...allow em', disallow em'.. whatever..... on a 1 to 10 scale, 1 being unimportnat... 10 being super important,.
    this issue registers around a .0000001

  3. #143
    Advisor Swit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-13-16 @ 12:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    390

    Re: Judge rules Ten Commandments monument must go

    Quote Originally Posted by Thrilla View Post
    yes, I know... the habit of using an extreme comparisons in order to prove some sort of hypocrisy is rather common on political forums.

    "Let me know when a religious group can put this"...that's not a statment in opposition to those particular symbols going up. <shrugs>

    overall, I don't care much...allow em', disallow em'.. whatever..... on a 1 to 10 scale, 1 being unimportnat... 10 being super important,.
    this issue registers around a .0000001
    While I agree with you on the importance meter part..... It's not an extreme example. Satanism IS a federally recognized religion. I had the option of selecting from something like 36 different religions (of which Satanism was one) as a religion placed on my dog tags when I was in the Marine Corps, and if a particular state allows a Christian display and simultaneously denies a Satanic display they are in fact providing preferential treatment for one religion over another, which is obviously specifically prohibited by the constitution (or at least the USSC interpretation of it, which ultimately is all that matters).

  4. #144
    Guru

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    In a Blue State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,733

    Re: Judge rules Ten Commandments monument must go

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    No, the wall of separation was a later idea.

    Which doesn't make it a bad idea, not at all.

    As for the Ten Commandments, they say:



    Only three of the ten are written into law in the USA: Murder, stealing, and false testimony. Should we write the rest of them into law? If not, why would they be on a government building?
    That is the most logical argument. Well done.
    We went from sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me to safe spaces.

  5. #145
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: Judge rules Ten Commandments monument must go

    Quote Originally Posted by Thrilla View Post
    are you one of those " religion shouold be banned" type of commies?
    No. It shouldnt be celebrated in public office. One of the "type of commies" believing "God" shouldnt be in the pledge, on our cash, in our motto, or used on any government sanctioned event.


  6. #146
    Sage

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Texas, Vegas, Colombia
    Last Seen
    11-28-16 @ 06:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,295

    Re: Judge rules Ten Commandments monument must go

    Quote Originally Posted by Swit View Post
    While I agree with you on the importance meter part..... It's not an extreme example. Satanism IS a federally recognized religion. I had the option of selecting from something like 36 different religions (of which Satanism was one) as a religion placed on my dog tags when I was in the Marine Corps, and if a particular state allows a Christian display and simultaneously denies a Satanic display they are in fact providing preferential treatment for one religion over another, which is obviously specifically prohibited by the constitution (or at least the USSC interpretation of it, which ultimately is all that matters).
    sure stanism is a regligion... but it's an extrem example because it's a wild fringe religion (in comparion to the major popular ones)
    a more apt comparison would be of islamic or jewish symbols

    my dog togs , around 1980 or so, said "infidel"
    it pays to have friends in the S-1 shop.

  7. #147
    Sage

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Texas, Vegas, Colombia
    Last Seen
    11-28-16 @ 06:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,295

    Re: Judge rules Ten Commandments monument must go

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    No. It shouldnt be celebrated in public office. One of the "type of commies" believing "God" shouldnt be in the pledge, on our cash, in our motto, or used on any government sanctioned event.
    well, I guess you'll have to settle for not having momuments..everythign else you listed is allowable.

    as an aside, what is your position on taxing churches?.... do you like them having tax exempt status, or do you want them to pay taxes?

  8. #148
    Sage
    poweRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    35,045

    Re: Judge rules Ten Commandments monument must go

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    Since when did the US become an anti-religious nation?
    Straw man argument. This ruling says nothing about America being religious or anti-religious. It's about mixing church and state. A terrible and horrifying no-no... if you want a stronger time-line argument made for you... here you go:

    United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion -- American diplomat Joel Barlow wrote and President John Adams endorsed @ the Treaty of Tripoli 1797
    Last edited by poweRob; 08-08-14 at 11:55 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    The sad fact is that having a pedophile win is better than having a Democrat in office. I'm all for a solution where a Republican gets in that isn't Moore.

  9. #149
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,461

    Re: Judge rules Ten Commandments monument must go

    Quote Originally Posted by Summerwind View Post
    Aw, aren't you sweet. There is no evidence in the majority of your posts to indicate this is anything but bull dung.
    Liberals are impossible to get along with.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  10. #150
    Advisor Swit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-13-16 @ 12:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    390

    Re: Judge rules Ten Commandments monument must go

    Quote Originally Posted by Thrilla View Post
    sure stanism is a regligion... but it's an extrem example because it's a wild fringe religion (in comparion to the major popular ones)
    a more apt comparison would be of islamic or jewish symbols

    my dog togs , around 1980 or so, said "infidel"
    it pays to have friends in the S-1 shop.
    Lol.... yeah I actually always wanted some flying spaghetti monster ones but never got them.
    Can you explain a little more than it's extreme? I mean it is Federally recognized. I understand its a very offensive religion to the Christians.... but by the same note Christianity is probably extremely offensive to Satanists. Are you implying that just because its a "fringe" (low population?) religion, the governement should be allowed to discriminate against it (i.e. denying their permit for placement of their display whilst granting the Christian one)?

Page 15 of 35 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •