Page 14 of 35 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 344

Thread: Judge rules Ten Commandments monument must go

  1. #131
    Sage
    Peter King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Netherlands
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    14,014

    Re: Judge rules Ten Commandments monument must go

    Quote Originally Posted by faithful_servant View Post
    National News - WEAR ABC Channel 3



    I get so sick of this idiotic crap. Nowhere in the Constitution is this judge's decision supported. No law has been passed by Congress that gives preference of one religion over any other in this case. This is nothing more than some dumbass getting all butt-hurt over the Ten being displayed and deciding to sue to get it removed.
    You might think the judge should not have decided to rule in the way that he did, but you cannot say the person who decided he did not want to be confronted by this large and very very obvious religious statement that prominently on "government land" and decided to sue to get it removed is a dumbass.

    I think it is very wrong when a lot of conservatives keep pointing to the constitution to get their way but then turn around when someone else blast someone as a dumbass for doing the same.

    Because even before the holy second amendment (according to a lot of Americans) there is something like the first amendment:

    Amendment I

    Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
    Because not only has this "dumbass" the right to think that this eyesore (because it is big and very "present" for any visitor of the place that ought to represent everybody in Bloomfield, and not just the people who believe in the bible) is almost tantamount to establishing of religion but he has even a bigger right.

    He has the right, as stated in the first constitution, to petition the government for a redress of grievances. And that is exactly what he did and the judge ruled in his favor. You can be angry about that, but just like Hobby Lobby has the right to petition the courts for the ACA rules, this person had the right to petition the courts for his problem with this monument. I think it is very unfair to say he is a dumbass.

    And FYI The dumbass won!!
    Former military man (and now babysitter of Donald Trump) John Kelly, is a big loud lying empty barrel!

  2. #132
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,246

    Re: Judge rules Ten Commandments monument must go

    Quote Originally Posted by Summerwind View Post
    You wish, but if wishes were horses, beggars would ride.
    I wish a happy and healthy life for you. That's about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  3. #133
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: Judge rules Ten Commandments monument must go

    Let me know when a religious group can put this

    or this up


  4. #134
    Hot Flash Mama
    Summerwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Last Seen
    01-23-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,010

    Re: Judge rules Ten Commandments monument must go

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    I wish a happy and healthy life for you. That's about it.
    Aw, aren't you sweet. There is no evidence in the majority of your posts to indicate this is anything but bull dung.
    jallman: "It's all good. At least you have a thick skin and can take being poked fun back at without crying. "

  5. #135
    Sage

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Texas, Vegas, Colombia
    Last Seen
    11-28-16 @ 06:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,295

    Re: Judge rules Ten Commandments monument must go

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    Let me know when a religious group can put this

    or this up

    interesting... why do you only have a problem with Chritians stuff going up?

  6. #136
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: Judge rules Ten Commandments monument must go

    Quote Originally Posted by Thrilla View Post
    interesting... why do you only have a problem with Chritians stuff going up?
    My point=No religious stuff should go up.


  7. #137
    Sage

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Texas, Vegas, Colombia
    Last Seen
    11-28-16 @ 06:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,295

    Re: Judge rules Ten Commandments monument must go

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    My point=No religious stuff should go up.
    are you one of those " religion shouold be banned" type of commies?

  8. #138
    Pragmatist
    SouthernDemocrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    KC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,400

    Re: Judge rules Ten Commandments monument must go

    Quote Originally Posted by faithful_servant View Post
    The Ten Commandments are one of the foundational legal statements of mankind. They are entirely appropriate to posted in front of a courthouse. The examples you give are NOT part of the foundational legal examples of our society, the Ten are (along with several other documents). This is the reason they are there an as such, they should be left alone. It's why we haven't removed all the rest of the examples of the Ten from our federals buildings, because they represent one of the core documents of our legal system.

    Now, I'll most likely be accused of stating that the Ten are the foundation of our laws, which I most certainly am not stating. They are a part of it, but not the whole of it.
    1. Civilization existed and laws existed long before some Hebrew Scribes recorded the Ten Commandments around 6th century BCE.

    2. The first 4 of the Ten Commandments have nothing to do with modern law or morality, and are simply religious commandments.

    3. This notion of "nowhere in the Constitution is this Judge's decision supported" reflects a fundamental misunderstanding of how the constitution works and how constitutional law is interpreted on your part. What you, me, or any other Joe Blow out there thinks is in the constitution is irrelevant. The constitutional role of the courts is to interpret the constitution. If the federal courts rule that you have a constitutional right to a federal employee wiping your ass for you, then for all in intents and purposes you have that constitutional right until the decision is overturned. In this case, the courts have consistently ruled for decades that the state cannot promote, compel, or endorse specific religious beliefs. Placing a monument depicting the Ten Commandments in front of City Hall is a clear example of using the state to endorse a religious belief. Your getting upset about its removal is all the more evidence of that.
    "You're the only person that decides how far you'll go and what you're capable of." - Ben Saunders (Explorer and Endurance Athlete)

  9. #139
    Advisor Swit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-13-16 @ 12:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    390

    Re: Judge rules Ten Commandments monument must go

    Quote Originally Posted by Thrilla View Post
    interesting... why do you only have a problem with Chritians stuff going up?
    I think he was pointing out that the people that are upset at this ruling would attempt to deny displays of other religions (in this case Satanism) from public spaces whilst defending their position of keeping the 10 commandments there. In other words they're asking that the government provide preferential treatment to one religion over another. Basically I believe he was just trying to point out the hypocrisy of the situation.

  10. #140
    Advisor Swit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-13-16 @ 12:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    390

    Re: Judge rules Ten Commandments monument must go

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDemocrat View Post
    1. Civilization existed and laws existed long before some Hebrew Scribes recorded the Ten Commandments around 6th century BCE.

    2. The first 4 of the Ten Commandments have nothing to do with modern law or morality, and are simply religious commandments.

    3. This notion of "nowhere in the Constitution is this Judge's decision supported" reflects a fundamental misunderstanding of how the constitution works and how constitutional law is interpreted on your part. What you, me, or any other Joe Blow out there thinks is in the constitution is irrelevant. The constitutional role of the courts is to interpret the constitution. If the federal courts rule that you have a constitutional right to a federal employee wiping your ass for you, then for all in intents and purposes you have that constitutional right until the decision is overturned. In this case, the courts have consistently ruled for decades that the state cannot promote, compel, or endorse specific religious beliefs. Placing a monument depicting the Ten Commandments in front of City Hall is a clear example of using the state to endorse a religious belief. Your getting upset about its removal is all the more evidence of that.
    Finally someone here remembers basic civic

    legislative = enact / make laws
    executive = execute laws
    judicial = interpret laws
    public = put people in the: legislative / executive / judiacial positions

Page 14 of 35 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •