Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 199

Thread: Suburban Detroit homeowner convicted of second-degree murder in porch shooting

  1. #31
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where I am now
    Last Seen
    09-11-17 @ 03:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,386

    Re: Suburban Detroit homeowner convicted of second-degree murder in porch shooting

    I try not to judge trials from a distance.

    I did not hear all the evidence nor did I witness the event in question, so I (imo) am not qualified to pass judgement.

  2. #32
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,872

    Re: Suburban Detroit homeowner convicted of second-degree murder in porch shooting

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    Justice served?
    1.) He wasn't an asshole.
    2.) Someone calling him one though?

    There was no evidence that she was seeking help. None. So stop with the spin.

    That said; He should have stuck with what he initially said. Accidental discharge, as that could only be manslaughter.
    From the WSJ:

    The racially mixed jury deliberated for about eight hours on Wednesday and Thursday before rendering its verdict in a much-watched case that raised questions about whether the race of the victim played a role.The jury also convicted Mr. Wafer of a separate manslaughter and felony firearm charge. He could be sentenced to life in prison at a hearing scheduled for Aug. 21.

    Detroit-Area Man Convicted of Second-Degree Murder in Porch Shooting - WSJ

  3. #33
    Sage
    Kreton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Last Seen
    11-13-17 @ 08:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,118

    Re: Suburban Detroit homeowner convicted of second-degree murder in porch shooting

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    They were both black. No race card to play.
    He was a white guy. And the card card was played a lot in the media

    Edit: sorry noticed someone else already said that
    “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.”
    Stephen R. Covey


  4. #34
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,872

    Re: Suburban Detroit homeowner convicted of second-degree murder in porch shooting

    Quote Originally Posted by DA60 View Post
    I try not to judge trials from a distance.

    I did not hear all the evidence nor did I witness the event in question, so I (imo) am not qualified to pass judgement.
    I hope more info on the evidence heard by the jury will become available. I remember that in a NY Times article, mention was made of a muddy footprint on the a/c unit. Still curious about that and what, if anything, was said during the trial.

  5. #35
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,582

    Re: Suburban Detroit homeowner convicted of second-degree murder in porch shooting

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    I would have figured voluntary manslaughter, but meh.
    that is what I predicted back when this issue was first discussed



  6. #36
    Sage
    Kreton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Last Seen
    11-13-17 @ 08:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,118

    Re: Suburban Detroit homeowner convicted of second-degree murder in porch shooting

    Quote Originally Posted by nota bene View Post
    I hope more info on the evidence heard by the jury will become available. I remember that in a NY Times article, mention was made of a muddy footprint on the a/c unit. Still curious about that and what, if anything, was said during the trial.
    The facts the trial were pretty clear. Neither side argued or disagreed about what happened. The question the jury faced was not what happened but rather whether his actions were justified. He felt he was in danger, however it was determined his feeling threatened was not justified.
    “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.”
    Stephen R. Covey


  7. #37
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Colorado mountains
    Last Seen
    01-03-15 @ 08:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,729

    Re: Suburban Detroit homeowner convicted of second-degree murder in porch shooting

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    I would have figured voluntary manslaughter, but meh.
    He was also convicted of involuntary manslaughter and firearms charges.
    Detroit porch shooting: Homeowner found guilty of second-degree murder - Chicago Tribune

  8. #38
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Colorado mountains
    Last Seen
    01-03-15 @ 08:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,729

    Re: Suburban Detroit homeowner convicted of second-degree murder in porch shooting

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    Justice served?
    1.) He wasn't an asshole.
    2.) Someone calling him one though?
    I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that a murderer is an asshole.

  9. #39
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,715

    Re: Suburban Detroit homeowner convicted of second-degree murder in porch shooting

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Yes, sometimes they do knock first.
    That's it? LOL

    I anticipated that and added the entire next sentence: If they do, if that was your assumption, wouldnt you also assume they were armed and not just throw open the door and become a target?

    I was trying to remain close to the context of the event in question.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  10. #40
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,715

    Re: Suburban Detroit homeowner convicted of second-degree murder in porch shooting

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Right, now it has.
    If he had been found innocent....gun owners would have looked better?

    George Zimmerman didnt do cc permit holders any favors.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •