Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 199

Thread: Suburban Detroit homeowner convicted of second-degree murder in porch shooting

  1. #121
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 01:26 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,997

    Re: Suburban Detroit homeowner convicted of second-degree murder in porch shooting

    And make sure you read the comments by the supposed lawyers too.
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

  2. #122
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,913

    Re: Suburban Detroit homeowner convicted of second-degree murder in porch shooting

    From the same attorney-blogger link, information I hadn't heard about Wafer's front door:

    Unlocking and Opening the Steel Front Door

    Wafer’s decision to unlock and open the steel front door of his home. McBride never, in FACT, threatened entry–whatever she might have done to the screen door, there remained the steel door to get through. Had that steel door been substantively damaged or had there been any evidence to suggest an actual entry was imminent, I think Wafer would have been fine. Absent that, however, the jury likely expected him to hunker down and wait until entry was imminent before using deadly force–and certainly not to unlock and open that very steel door that was keeping the “intruders” outside.

  3. #123
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 01:26 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,997

    Re: Suburban Detroit homeowner convicted of second-degree murder in porch shooting

    Quote Originally Posted by nota bene View Post
    From the same attorney-blogger link, information I hadn't heard about Wafer's front door:

    Unlocking and Opening the Steel Front Door

    Wafer’s decision to unlock and open the steel front door of his home. McBride never, in FACT, threatened entry–whatever she might have done to the screen door, there remained the steel door to get through. Had that steel door been substantively damaged or had there been any evidence to suggest an actual entry was imminent, I think Wafer would have been fine. Absent that, however, the jury likely expected him to hunker down and wait until entry was imminent before using deadly force–and certainly not to unlock and open that very steel door that was keeping the “intruders” outside.
    Which would be wrong for the jury to allow to take precedence over her jumping out at him.


    So what else is your point?
    As noted in the comments where you got that from.
    "A steel door is not a safe.
    A steel door with a wood frame will slow down a violent criminal exactly one solid kick’s worth of time. Having a violent criminal on your porch, beating on your door, does not make me feel like “Well, I can call the police and they’ll be here in an hour or so…” ..." ~ georgfelis
    Last edited by Excon; 08-08-14 at 11:00 AM.
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

  4. #124
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,913

    Re: Suburban Detroit homeowner convicted of second-degree murder in porch shooting

    A neighbor testified that "...he heard noises outside his home that were sufficiently alarming to induce him to go outside in the early morning hours and check on his cars." Not sure whether he called the police.

    About fingerprints and the muddy footprint on the a/c unit[bolding mine]:

    Dearborn Heights Police Officer Cyndi Maxwell, a fingerprint expert, testified that she was unable to identify any of the prints collected from Wafer’s screen door.

    Michigan State Police Forensics Scientist Jennifer Rizk was also unable to identify these prints from the screen door. Importantly, she did mention evidence of an apparent footprint on an air conditioner unit from outside Wafer’s home. This footprint was neither collected nor preserved, again suggesting substantive defects in the investigative procedures and execution. The footprint would become important to the defense’s narrative of Wafer’s reasonable fear, in that it suggested that someone might have stood on the air conditioner in an effort to gain access to his home. Renisha McBride | Theodore Wafer | Review Into Week 3

  5. #125
    Professor

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Last Seen
    06-21-17 @ 12:55 PM
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    1,577

    Re: Suburban Detroit homeowner convicted of second-degree murder in porch shooting

    Yeah, I don't see much evidence that would validate any claims of self-defense. If a drunk person is banging on your door in the middle of the night, call the cops and wait.

    As for the tragedy of a teen dying like this: don't go off on your own in the middle of the night when you are hammered. There are hundreds of ways you can get yourself seriously hurt or killed by doing so.

  6. #126
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,851
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Suburban Detroit homeowner convicted of second-degree murder in porch shooting

    [QUOTE=Excon;1063616825]Just as your absurd opinion matters not to most as well.
    Funny that you don't realize that is a given on these type of boards.



    Says the one who's opinion mattered not to the outcome as well. D'oh![
    /QUOTE]




    Right now my life is going on fine and I have zero problems.




    "Better days are coming."
    ~ But not for today's out of touch, running out of time, GOP

    How are you doing?

  7. #127
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,851
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Suburban Detroit homeowner convicted of second-degree murder in porch shooting

    Quote Originally Posted by CycloneWanderer View Post
    Yeah, I don't see much evidence that would validate any claims of self-defense. If a drunk person is banging on your door in the middle of the night, call the cops and wait.

    As for the tragedy of a teen dying like this: don't go off on your own in the middle of the night when you are hammered.
    There are hundreds of ways you can get yourself seriously hurt or killed by doing so
    .



    And those who kill you can end up just like the loser in this story, eh?

    Does anyone get that message?

    If you kill everyone who knocks on your door you might end up in prison.

    Think about that the next time that you answer your door.
    Last edited by shrubnose; 08-08-14 at 11:23 AM.

  8. #128
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,170

    Re: Suburban Detroit homeowner convicted of second-degree murder in porch shooting

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Yes, sometimes they do knock first.
    That's great, but that doesn't mean you shoot everybody who knocks because one of them MIGHT hurt you.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  9. #129
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,170

    Re: Suburban Detroit homeowner convicted of second-degree murder in porch shooting

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Speaking of over-reacting.
    So shoot first, don't hesitate even for a second. If someone knocks on your door, they MIGHT be a criminal, so it's better to shoot them without hesitation. Sounds great. I don't think it's out of line to say that you should stop and think for a second if you're going to possibly kill another person.


    What I'll point out here - to everyone who said during the Z/M dustup that "following someone isn't a crime" neither is knocking on someone's door.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  10. #130
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,851
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Suburban Detroit homeowner convicted of second-degree murder in porch shooting

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    That's great, but that doesn't mean you shoot everybody who knocks because one of them MIGHT hurt you.



    Before or after you put a few dozen holes in their bodies?

    Fill us in.




    Most people with massive blood loss are zero threat to anyone.

Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •