Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 161

Thread: 4 states face gay marriage showdown in Cincinnati

  1. #11
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,775

    Re: 4 states face gay marriage showdown in Cincinnati

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    Maybe it is time our government(s) stop defining or acknowledging marriage.
    I think the government should be forced to treat my wife as something more than a roommate. You just want to take your ball and go home.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  2. #12
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,775

    Re: 4 states face gay marriage showdown in Cincinnati

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    The federal government can indeed stop adding benefits onto state contracts. That is what is being proposed.
    Why? Marriage is an important part of a stable family unit, which is important to society. It should be encouraged.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  3. #13
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: 4 states face gay marriage showdown in Cincinnati

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Why? Marriage is an important part of a stable family unit, which is important to society. It should be encouraged.
    So, let the individual states encourage it the way that makes sense for them. Take away the federal element.

  4. #14
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: 4 states face gay marriage showdown in Cincinnati

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    So, let the individual states encourage it the way that makes sense for them. Take away the federal element.
    Why? There is no need to "take away the federal element" here. The federal government has more programs than most states and are more likely (at least within most of our history) to actually protect our individual rights than the state governments are.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  5. #15
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: 4 states face gay marriage showdown in Cincinnati

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Why? There is no need to "take away the federal element" here. The federal government has more programs than most states and are more likely (at least within most of our history) to actually protect our individual rights than the state governments are.
    Once again, there is no federal marriage "right". That is something made up out of whole cloth by the SCOTUS. If the federal benefits weren't at stake, the whole rights argument put forth thus far goes away. The feds can benefit those who support others through tax relief just as they do through marriage now, without having to muggle around with the state contract of marriage.

  6. #16
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    21,751

    Re: 4 states face gay marriage showdown in Cincinnati

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    It has absolutely nothing to do with "rights"......It has to do with taxes and aristocratic nonsense.
    Marriage confers a number of legal rights involving healthcare, inheritance, children, employee benefits, and more.

  7. #17
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: 4 states face gay marriage showdown in Cincinnati

    Quote Originally Posted by JasperL View Post
    Marriage confers a number of legal rights involving healthcare, inheritance, children, employee benefits, and more.
    In context, not the sort of rights at discussion. In this discussion thus far, rights=federal constitutional rights. But everything listed there could indeed be handled by the individual states.

  8. #18
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,662

    Re: 4 states face gay marriage showdown in Cincinnati

    Eventually this will all have to go to the Supreme Court and they will have to settle this once and for all and when they do...good riddance.

  9. #19
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: 4 states face gay marriage showdown in Cincinnati

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    Eventually this will all have to go to the Supreme Court and they will have to settle this once and for all and when they do...good riddance.
    Knowing that court as we do, they'll be an incomplete gotcha attached. Room for wiggle. They will only "sorta" decide.

  10. #20
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: 4 states face gay marriage showdown in Cincinnati

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    Once again, there is no federal marriage "right". That is something made up out of whole cloth by the SCOTUS. If the federal benefits weren't at stake, the whole rights argument put forth thus far goes away. The feds can benefit those who support others through tax relief just as they do through marriage now, without having to muggle around with the state contract of marriage.
    No, why should the federal government not recognize legal relationships, which is why they are in marriage? They have programs that recognize spouses and rely on this recognition to determine how they deal with certain things, including SS, military benefits, and taxes.

    The states don't have any right to have a definition of marriage that treats people differently in whether they can marry or who they can marry based on their religion, race, sex, or other characteristics that they cannot show further a legitimate state interest by basing restrictions on, whether the federal government recognizes marriages or not.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •