Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 161

Thread: 4 states face gay marriage showdown in Cincinnati

  1. #111
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,013

    Re: 4 states face gay marriage showdown in Cincinnati

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    No, it's solely about sexual orientation. But you would know this if you had been following the SCOTUS decisions. Both men and women have equal access to marriage. Unless you have another gender up your sleeve there.
    No, men and women do not have equal access to marriage. I cannot marry a woman, not because I am heterosexual, but because I a woman, but a man can marry a woman. This is discrimination based on sex. This is unequal access to marriage based on my gender. It doesn't matter that men cannot marry men, but I can. That only shows that every single person is being treated unequally by the laws of marriage so long as same sex marriage bans exist within our laws.

    It is like saying that only women can hold a teaching license, not men, but only men can hold a license to practice medicine, not women, and saying that both have equal access to licensed career opportunities since both are restricted from being able to be licensed in a single career field.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  2. #112
    Sage
    Hicup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Last Seen
    12-07-17 @ 03:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    7,846

    Re: 4 states face gay marriage showdown in Cincinnati

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Situation 1) Everyone can marry someone of the same race
    Situation 2) Everyone can marry someone of the opposite gender.

    Explain why 1 is unconstitutional, but 2 is acceptable. Explain that rational reason of yours. Because you are absolutely right. The question is whether society, and the government, have a rational reason in doing so. In the case of a distinction of gender, that test is that the measure is "substantially related" to an "important state interest."

    So, name the interest.
    I did, that regardless of how you libbos wish to frame the debate, marriage has been and always will be important to the state for one reason. The children, and whether parenthood is more than what you libbos think it is. It's not just about who carries the egg and who delivers the sperm. It's more, MUCH more than that, and you can't convince me otherwise. This is not radical, YOU'RE radical and the ilk that think like you.

    Tim-
    “When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators.” - P. J. O’Rourke
    “Socialism is great until you run out of someone elses money” Margaret Thatcher

  3. #113
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,822

    Re: 4 states face gay marriage showdown in Cincinnati

    I love the amount of disdain, fear, anger, dishonesty and desperation that equal rights winning brings out in the bigots and or ant-equal rights people.

    Equal rights is winning and is going to be the victory, now the only question is when. I bet at the longest 2016.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  4. #114
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    Re: 4 states face gay marriage showdown in Cincinnati

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Marriage is a specific contract that is barred to same-sex couples in many states. It provides many benefits and rights at both state and Federal levels, and not all of these benefits and rights can be duplicated via a different private contract. (even civil unions don't get all of them)

    For example, I cannot be compelled to testify against my spouse in a criminal hearing, and any communications between me and my spouse are assumed to be private and confidential. This is not something a civil contract can duplicate.
    No it's not..... ANYONE can engage in a civil contract....

    Technically all marriage is contract.....

    Marriage and it's ties to the state is extremely complex - especially when it comes to taxation. That is something I have no desire to even have time to compute for you, especially since I think it is nonsense anyways and secondly because it would be just too difficult to explain it to you - not because I don't think you're intelligent enough to understand but because it's extremely confusing and flawed..... This is a concept that takes years to fully understand - unless you're a lawyer that practices civil law.

    The best even concept I could give you about the contract(s) I'm talking about would be similar to "estate law" - but it goes way beyond that.

    Of course every state is different and has different civil laws - I just know Illinois (well as most as I could learn) and I'm obviously familiar with federal law...

    BTW, DOMA is a pain in the ass, if you legally wanted to make a contractual argument for marriage and circumvent the entire system...

  5. #115
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,797

    Re: 4 states face gay marriage showdown in Cincinnati

    Quote Originally Posted by Summerwind View Post
    I disagree. I don't see marriage as a net good or a net bad. And I don't see demonizing or attempting to humiliate single people by claiming they are defective. There aren't enough men to go around so some women are going to be single. It costs more to be single, so it makes no sense to offer the more cost effective situation tax breaks. It also doesn't make sense to exclude other non-sexual partnerships that are otherwise equally financially dependent, such as a woman and her adult daughter, who rely on each other's incomes and co-habitation to assure bills are paid and life is halfway comfortable.
    In general, married households raise superior children, they have more disposable income, they are more stable and they form stronger communities. These, among other reasons, is why marriage is the preferred option of society and why society chooses to reward those who get legally married. If you choose not to, that's up to you. All choices have consequences. When people choose not to legally entangle their financial lives, most of those benefits to society go out the window. So long as that's the case, singles do not get those benefits and should not get those benefits.

    Thank you for your careless bit of bs about singles. It is discouraging to see you be that person.
    Sorry, but most of the people I see making those arguments fit what I said. They are people who, for whatever reason, choose not to be married. They want theirs and since they aren't getting theirs, they want to take away everyone else's. It's a choice and choices, as I said, have consequences. That's the consequence society has assigned to not getting married. The same as, in another thread, the whiny Christians who want to be able to talk about politics from the pulpit and maintain their tax-exempt status. Sorry, it doesn't work that way. You can't have your cake and eat it too.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  6. #116
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,822

    Re: 4 states face gay marriage showdown in Cincinnati

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    1.)No it's not..... ANYONE can engage in a civil contract....
    2.)Technically all marriage is contract.....

    3.)Marriage and it's ties to the state is extremely complex - especially when it comes to taxation. That is something I have no desire to even have time to compute for you, especially since I think it is nonsense anyways and secondly because it would be just too difficult to explain it to you - not because I don't think you're intelligent enough to understand but because it's extremely confusing and flawed..... This is a concept that takes years to fully understand - unless you're a lawyer that practices civil law.

    4.)The best even concept I could give you about the contract(s) I'm talking about would be similar to "estate law" - but it goes way beyond that.

    5.) Of course every state is different and has different civil laws - I just know Illinois (well as most as I could learn) and I'm obviously familiar with federal law...

    BTW, DOMA is a pain in the ass, if you legally wanted to make a contractual argument for marriage and circumvent the entire system...
    1.) repeating this topically uneducated lie wont make it true.
    2.) not technically it factually is and the majority of states banned gays in the marriage contract and civil unions. Some did domestic partnerships and some even further
    3.) all meanignless to equal rights and failed insults wont help that
    4.) again nothing to do with equal rights and SSM
    5.) correct and when they violate individual rights the fed steps in which is what is happening

    Please educate yourself on this specif topic, thank you
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  7. #117
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,847

    Re: 4 states face gay marriage showdown in Cincinnati

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicup View Post
    I did, that regardless of how you libbos wish to frame the debate, marriage has been and always will be important to the state for one reason. The children, and whether parenthood is more than what you libbos think it is. It's not just about who carries the egg and who delivers the sperm. It's more, MUCH more than that, and you can't convince me otherwise. This is not radical, YOU'RE radical and the ilk that think like you.

    Tim-
    Banning same-sex marriage does not further this interest. Banning same-sex marriage does not result in more children, or more stable family units, or a better environment for raising children. In fact, it harms that interest.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  8. #118
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,847

    Re: 4 states face gay marriage showdown in Cincinnati

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    No it's not..... ANYONE can engage in a civil contract....

    Technically all marriage is contract.....

    Marriage and it's ties to the state is extremely complex - especially when it comes to taxation. That is something I have no desire to even have time to compute for you, especially since I think it is nonsense anyways and secondly because it would be just too difficult to explain it to you - not because I don't think you're intelligent enough to understand but because it's extremely confusing and flawed..... This is a concept that takes years to fully understand - unless you're a lawyer that practices civil law.

    The best even concept I could give you about the contract(s) I'm talking about would be similar to "estate law" - but it goes way beyond that.

    Of course every state is different and has different civil laws - I just know Illinois (well as most as I could learn) and I'm obviously familiar with federal law...

    BTW, DOMA is a pain in the ass, if you legally wanted to make a contractual argument for marriage and circumvent the entire system...
    I cannot sign any contract to prevent me from being forced to testify against a spouse, except a marriage contract. I cannot exempt you from an estate tax upon my death, I can only do that with a spouse that the state chooses to recognize.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  9. #119
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,966

    Re: 4 states face gay marriage showdown in Cincinnati

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    And there you finally arrive at the point. It's a state issue, that should be decided by the individual states.
    No, gender discrimination is federal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  10. #120
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,966

    Re: 4 states face gay marriage showdown in Cincinnati

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    Yes...actually...it does need to be black and white. Marriage is a construct that affects people in all 50 states. The court battles and voter battles go on forever. It isnt healthy. One way or the other it just needs to be decided, even if that decision is that the states have the right to make the rules laws and definitions or not.
    So the people/society...and their needs and desires....in those 50 states are frozen, set in stone?

    Apparently not...since it has changed in the past and many many desire it to be changed again (changes: polygamy, interracial marriage, SSM)

    So to actually SERVE our society apparently it needs to remain somewhat flexible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •