Page 7 of 25 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 247

Thread: House passes $694 million border bill

  1. #61
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: House passes $694 million border bill

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    Nope, only if you cross the border illegally first and then ask for it as an excuse to stay. And once again, the humanitarian asylum thing is bogus in this case. They are gaming the system.
    Wrong. US law recognizes that refugees have the right to enter the country to seek asylum.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  2. #62
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,584

    Re: House passes $694 million border bill

    Quote Originally Posted by EnigmaO01 View Post
    Yep not serving the people or getting anything done due hyper partisanship is the way to go. I don't know what your smoking but I want some.
    What isn't getting done?
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  3. #63
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    37,136

    Re: House passes $694 million border bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Misterveritis View Post
    Let us begin with the word you are missing. Illegal. They have entered the country illegally. We can eliminate the comforts of the welfare state and we will have Americans working again instead of plundering their neighbors.

    Throw them out and declare the state who helped them arrive at our borders as hostile nations.
    i'm not interested in how you feel about the immigrants.

    if Republicans were as pissed off as they claim to be about the immigration problem, here's what they'd do :

    1. every job from dishwasher to CEO goes through everify.

    2. businesses found with undocumented workers are fined $10,000 per worker per day, even if it's a subcontractor, and even if they claim they didn't know.

    this draconian plan would remove the draw overnight. however, it would shut down big ag, and food prices would skyrocket.

    the fact remains that the draw is the private sector, not the public sector.

    the solution i prefer is amnesty, everify, and an immigration system that is more Ellis Island than wait ten years in line. it will do the economy a lot of good to bring this part of the labor market out of the shadows, and deporting all of them is something that i'll never support.

    i understand that we'll never agree on this. however, you must admit that the draw is the private sector, which wants cheap labor. you can rage against the government all you want, but the private sector is hiring them, and is the reason that they are coming here.

    also, we should do something to help central America develop. i'm not sure exactly what that looks like, but it is a piece of the puzzle, and we should be brainstorming it.

  4. #64
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Last Seen
    03-03-17 @ 10:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,813

    Re: House passes $694 million border bill

    Quote Originally Posted by EnigmaO01 View Post
    Yep not serving the people or getting anything done due hyper partisanship is the way to go. I don't know what your smoking but I want some.
    When you claim hyper-partisanship I am sure you mean the evil democrats not caving to reasonable Republican requests.

  5. #65
    Sage
    Unitedwestand13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Sunnyvale California
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    14,992

    Re: House passes $694 million border bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Misterveritis View Post
    When you claim hyper-partisanship I am sure you mean the evil democrats not caving to reasonable Republican requests.
    Cuts to social security, food stamps, and other forms of discretionary spending is reasonable?
    "If you can't stand the way this place is, Take yourself to higher places!"
    Break, By Three days grace

    Hilliary Clinton/Tim Kaine 2016

  6. #66
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Last Seen
    03-03-17 @ 10:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,813

    Re: House passes $694 million border bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Helix View Post
    i'm not interested in how you feel about the immigrants.
    Therefore what?

    if Republicans were as pissed off as they claim to be about the immigration problem, here's what they'd do :

    1. every job from dishwasher to CEO goes through everify.

    2. businesses found with undocumented workers are fined $10,000 per worker per day, even if it's a subcontractor, and even if they claim they didn't know.

    this draconian plan would remove the draw overnight. however, it would shut down big ag, and food prices would skyrocket.

    the fact remains that the draw is the private sector, not the public sector.

    the solution i prefer is amnesty, everify, and an immigration system that is more Ellis Island than wait ten years in line. it will do the economy a lot of good to bring this part of the labor market out of the shadows, and deporting all of them is something that i'll never support.

    i understand that we'll never agree on this. however, you must admit that the draw is the private sector, which wants cheap labor. you can rage against the government all you want, but the private sector is hiring them, and is the reason that they are coming here.

    also, we should do something to help central America develop. i'm not sure exactly what that looks like, but it is a piece of the puzzle, and we should be brainstorming it.
    Establishment Republicans are looking for some underhanded way to achieve amnesty without their base understanding the establishment Republicans have deceived them.

    The draw is the welfare state and the mistaken belief that this remains a land of opportunity. Do you want open borders? If so then completely eliminate the welfare state.

    I know you prefer amnesty. I will never understand why Americans ( I assume you are one) want to be willing accomplices in changing the electorate. Perhaps you believe you will be a Mastermind in the new utopian one-party, democratic rule of the failing, balkanized, nation.

  7. #67
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Last Seen
    03-03-17 @ 10:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,813

    Re: House passes $694 million border bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Unitedwestand13 View Post
    Cuts to social security, food stamps, and other forms of discretionary spending is reasonable?
    Sure. But it is the mandatory spending that is killing the nation.

  8. #68
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Last Seen
    03-03-17 @ 10:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,813

    Re: House passes $694 million border bill

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    Wrong. US law recognizes that refugees have the right to enter the country to seek asylum.
    What a great pretext for an invasion.

    US law is not (supposed) to be a suicide pact.

  9. #69
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Last Seen
    03-03-17 @ 10:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,813

    Re: House passes $694 million border bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    Americans once did the same thing in Canada and were allowed to stay.
    Does Canada have chain migration?

  10. #70
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    21,853

    Re: House passes $694 million border bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Misterveritis View Post
    When you claim hyper-partisanship I am sure you mean the evil democrats not caving to reasonable Republican requests.
    Is that a serious response? Can't be..... So good one!!

Page 7 of 25 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •