Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 77

Thread: Who: Ebola moving faster than control efforts

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where I am now
    Last Seen
    09-11-17 @ 03:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,386

    Who: Ebola moving faster than control efforts

    'CONAKRY, Guinea (AP) — An Ebola outbreak that has killed more than 700 people in West Africa is moving faster than the efforts to control the disease, the head of the World Health Organization warned as presidents from the affected countries met Friday in Guinea's capital.

    Doctors Without Borders said its teams were overwhelmed with new Ebola patients in Sierra Leone and that the situation in Liberia was now "dire."

    Dr. Margaret Chan, director-general of the World Health Organization, said the meeting in Conakry "must be a turning point" in the battle against Ebola, which is now sickening people in three African capitals for the first time in history.

    "If the situation continues to deteriorate, the consequences can be catastrophic in terms of lost lives but also severe socio-economic disruption and a high risk of spread to other countries," she said.'

    WHO: Ebola moving faster than control efforts



    This is not good...I wonder what kind of panic this will create if it starts spreading to other countries?
    Last edited by DA60; 08-01-14 at 03:22 PM.

  2. #2
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Who: Ebola moving faster than control efforts

    So the answer for these great geniuses is to move the patients around the globe instead of containing them.

  3. #3
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:21 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    43,402

    Re: Who: Ebola moving faster than control efforts

    Quote Originally Posted by DA60 View Post
    'CONAKRY, Guinea (AP) — An Ebola outbreak that has killed more than 700 people in West Africa is moving faster than the efforts to control the disease, the head of the World Health Organization warned as presidents from the affected countries met Friday in Guinea's capital.

    Doctors Without Borders said its teams were overwhelmed with new Ebola patients in Sierra Leone and that the situation in Liberia was now "dire."

    Dr. Margaret Chan, director-general of the World Health Organization, said the meeting in Conakry "must be a turning point" in the battle against Ebola, which is now sickening people in three African capitals for the first time in history.

    "If the situation continues to deteriorate, the consequences can be catastrophic in terms of lost lives but also severe socio-economic disruption and a high risk of spread to other countries," she said.'

    WHO: Ebola moving faster than control efforts



    This is not good...I wonder what kind of panic this will create if it starts spreading to other countries?
    there was program on news TV the other day saying there was no real problem, because the virus did not spread very easily. I guess that was optimistic.

    The upside is that we are getting a good feel for what it is to live in a B movie.

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where I am now
    Last Seen
    09-11-17 @ 03:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,386

    Re: Who: Ebola moving faster than control efforts

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    So the answer for these great geniuses is to move the patients around the globe instead of containing them.
    Yeah, that seems pretty dumb to me as well.

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Melbourne Florida
    Last Seen
    04-18-17 @ 03:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    16,763

    Re: Who: Ebola moving faster than control efforts

    The answer is thermonuclear.

  6. #6
    Sage
    truthatallcost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 03:51 AM
    Gender
    Posts
    12,323

    Re: Who: Ebola moving faster than control efforts

    I remember hearing a spokeswoman for the CDC say that it was inevitable that Ebola would make it's way to the US eventually. This was on NPR during the Clinton years. I was angry when she said it, but she's right.

  7. #7
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,090

    Re: Who: Ebola moving faster than control efforts

    Quote Originally Posted by joG View Post
    there was program on news TV the other day saying there was no real problem, because the virus did not spread very easily. I guess that was optimistic.
    It does not spread easily. The problem is simple.. ignorance and tradition. These people are basically killing themselves because of it.

    When people die in most west African countries, their families take the body and wash it for burial. Bad idea when the disease spreads via bodily fluids.

    On top of that, many of these people believe that westerns brought the disease with them and hence refuse to listen to advice.
    PeteEU

  8. #8
    cynical class clown
    Luftwaffe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    CONNECTICUT
    Last Seen
    11-18-17 @ 10:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    10,499

    Re: Who: Ebola moving faster than control efforts

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    It does not spread easily. The problem is simple.. ignorance and tradition. These people are basically killing themselves because of it.

    When people die in most west African countries, their families take the body and wash it for burial. Bad idea when the disease spreads via bodily fluids.

    On top of that, many of these people believe that westerns brought the disease with them and hence refuse to listen to advice.
    Bye bye then, we tried helping, they don't want it :/
    -----MOS 19D = cavalry scout = best damn MOS there is

  9. #9
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,090

    Re: Who: Ebola moving faster than control efforts

    Quote Originally Posted by Luftwaffe View Post
    Bye bye then, we tried helping, they don't want it :/
    Sorry but that is also bull****. The more Ebola spreads, the more chance of it mutating.. which means the bigger chance of it becoming airborne.. and THAT is a serious problem for everyone.
    PeteEU

  10. #10
    cynical class clown
    Luftwaffe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    CONNECTICUT
    Last Seen
    11-18-17 @ 10:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    10,499

    Re: Who: Ebola moving faster than control efforts

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    Sorry but that is also bull****. The more Ebola spreads, the more chance of it mutating.. which means the bigger chance of it becoming airborne.. and THAT is a serious problem for everyone.
    Assuming that mutations are that fast, is there a history showing how Ebola has mutated in the past? Or is your behind speaking on the matter?

    I demand evidence that Ebola is some alien disease that can mutate to become airborne on a whim.
    -----MOS 19D = cavalry scout = best damn MOS there is

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •