Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 77

Thread: Who: Ebola moving faster than control efforts

  1. #21
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:56 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    43,415

    Re: Who: Ebola moving faster than control efforts

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    Yea but at least HIV can be treated prolonging the life of the patient.. where as ebola kills up to 90% in a matter of days. Problem is incubation period of ebola is relatively long.
    It took quite some time before advances were made in HIV treatment and every patient died after a while. It practicality wiped out the homosexul population my parents were friendly with in New York and Munich. The contagion was unclear and dangerous. Do you think ebola might kill millions or would that require a mutation? What do you say?

  2. #22
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    NE WI.
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 03:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,029

    Re: Who: Ebola moving faster than control efforts

    Quote Originally Posted by joG View Post
    It took quite some time before advances were made in HIV treatment and every patient died after a while. It practicality wiped out the homosexul population my parents were friendly with in New York and Munich. The contagion was unclear and dangerous. Do you think ebola might kill millions or would that require a mutation? What do you say?
    `
    `
    When I hear or see medical scientists saying things like this: "Ebola Outbreak 'Not in the Cards' for U.S., CDC Director Says"....."not in the cards".....weasel words, doublespeak. That sends up all sorts of red flags to me at least. I can understand the use of such language on a population that is pretty much dumbed down, in order to avoid panic, but some of us are not that ignorant.

    A far as it turning into an airborne mutation, according to virologist Beth Levine, M.D., director of virology research in the infectious diseases division at Columbia University's College of Physicians and Surgeons;


    "Single amino acid mutations can change the tropism [the residential preference] of a virus" in some experimental situations, but there haven't been any examples of such mutations actually occurring in nature, changing a virus from a bloodborne or bodily fluid route of transmission to a respiratory route."

    So, says Dr. Levine, "The media's claim is not totally without scientific basis. But there are no precedents for it, and it's unlikely.

    "I think it's irresponsible to raise that concern," she added - source

    Key word; "unlikely". Linguistically it lacks a high degree of certitude and that sounds more like a PR statement as opposed to something factual.

    Logic dictates that a prudent person be aware of the myriad of possibilities such a disease may entail and plan accordingly.

    `

  3. #23
    Guru
    1750Texan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Southcental Texas
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 02:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,569

    Re: Who: Ebola moving faster than control efforts

    Quote Originally Posted by Luftwaffe View Post
    Assuming that mutations are that fast, is there a history showing how Ebola has mutated in the past? Or is your behind speaking on the matter?

    I demand evidence that Ebola is some alien disease that can mutate to become airborne on a whim.
    Because all pathogens mutate. It is the reverse...it is highly unlikely that this virus does not mutate. A pathogen does not have to be airborne to be highly contagious.


  4. #24
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    East Coast USA
    Last Seen
    10-14-16 @ 11:58 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,543

    Re: Who: Ebola moving faster than control efforts


  5. #25
    Guru
    1750Texan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Southcental Texas
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 02:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,569

    Re: Who: Ebola moving faster than control efforts

    Quote Originally Posted by Dibbler View Post
    It is dumber to not care for them and learn as much as we can. Fear is dumb. People in our modern age thought AIDS could be picked-up from toilet seats and door knobs.

    fear is dumb.


  6. #26
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    East Coast USA
    Last Seen
    10-14-16 @ 11:58 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,543

    Re: Who: Ebola moving faster than control efforts

    Quote Originally Posted by 1750Texan View Post
    It is dumber to not care for them and learn as much as we can. Fear is dumb. People in our modern age thought AIDS could be picked-up from toilet seats and door knobs.

    fear is dumb.
    Your premise is not dumb, but I would like to modify it by saying that 'irrational' fear is dumb. There is cause for concern of the disease escaping into the environs of Georgia and spreading. Concern: not dumb.

  7. #27
    Sage
    Papa bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-25-15 @ 01:35 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,927

    Re: Who: Ebola moving faster than control efforts

    Quote Originally Posted by Paxaeon View Post
    `
    `
    When I hear or see medical scientists saying things like this: "Ebola Outbreak 'Not in the Cards' for U.S., CDC Director Says"....."not in the cards".....weasel words, doublespeak. That sends up all sorts of red flags to me at least. I can understand the use of such language on a population that is pretty much dumbed down, in order to avoid panic, but some of us are not that ignorant.

    A far as it turning into an airborne mutation, according to virologist Beth Levine, M.D., director of virology research in the infectious diseases division at Columbia University's College of Physicians and Surgeons;


    "Single amino acid mutations can change the tropism [the residential preference] of a virus" in some experimental situations, but there haven't been any examples of such mutations actually occurring in nature, changing a virus from a bloodborne or bodily fluid route of transmission to a respiratory route."

    So, says Dr. Levine, "The media's claim is not totally without scientific basis. But there are no precedents for it, and it's unlikely.

    "I think it's irresponsible to raise that concern," she added - source

    Key word; "unlikely". Linguistically it lacks a high degree of certitude and that sounds more like a PR statement as opposed to something factual.

    Logic dictates that a prudent person be aware of the myriad of possibilities such a disease may entail and plan accordingly.

    `
    It is unlikely that you will be killed by falling airplane parts. But logic dictates that a prudent person be aware of this risk and take actions to mitigate it. Might I suggest living in a cave?

    Chance of being killed by falling airplane parts. 1 in 10 million. That's unlikely. But possible. So now you have something else to fret about. You needn't thank me. I was just trying to help.
    You can't reason anyone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into in the first place.

  8. #28
    Sage
    Infinite Chaos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Last Seen
    11-19-17 @ 06:45 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    14,858

    Re: Who: Ebola moving faster than control efforts

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    Er that is exactly what I wrote..
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    -- When people die in most west African countries --
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    -- Have you been following the news at all? All the stations have reported that one of the reasons that it is hard to contain is because people in the remote villages dont trust western doctors who came around the time that ebola showed its face and hence are being blamed for bringing it.

    As Ebola spreads in Africa, some blame health workers - World News Report
    Key words highlighted; doesn't justify saying it as a generalisation. It's like some country hick bumpkin here in the west and saying he or she represents the viewpoint of all in a country or worse still - a section of a continent. If I found a UK country bumpkin who thought all Danes were blonde and good looking would that mean all Western Europeans thought all Danes were blonde and good looking?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dibbler View Post
    God, don't reporters have a duty to research the story they are telling? Ebola requires close physical contact with a sufferer to be contagious. This report and the youtube video is just playing on the fears of the ignorant.
    Last edited by Infinite Chaos; 08-02-14 at 12:13 PM.

  9. #29
    Sage
    Fenton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,324

    Re: Who: Ebola moving faster than control efforts

    Quote Originally Posted by Dibbler View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 1750Texan View Post
    It is dumber to not care for them and learn as much as we can. Fear is dumb. People in our modern age thought AIDS could be picked-up from toilet seats and door knobs.

    fear is dumb.

    Lol ! What !??

    The " care " for Ebola patients is IV hydration. That can bs done in Africa

    We can " learn " about the disease without transporting two walking talking live cultures back to the States.
    Last edited by Fenton; 08-02-14 at 01:14 PM.

  10. #30
    cynical class clown
    Luftwaffe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    CONNECTICUT
    Last Seen
    11-18-17 @ 10:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    10,499

    Re: Who: Ebola moving faster than control efforts

    Quote Originally Posted by 1750Texan View Post
    Because all pathogens mutate. It is the reverse...it is highly unlikely that this virus does not mutate. A pathogen does not have to be airborne to be highly contagious.
    Mutations are low, random, and in most cases, are either neutral or harmful.

    VERY few pathogens/viruses/what-have-you mutate at lightning speed (HIV I believe is a good example).

    My question was is Ebola one of these pathogens that mutates at such a speedy rate, I want to see the evolution o the virus because people seem to be assuming that this is some super disease that can just instantly become airborne.
    -----MOS 19D = cavalry scout = best damn MOS there is

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •