Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 80

Thread: U.S. economy adds 209,000 jobs, unemployment rate rises to 6.2%[W:59]

  1. #11
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,250

    Re: U.S. economy adds 209,000 jobs, unemployment rate rises to 6.2%

    Quote Originally Posted by Helix View Post
    my (for realz) take :

    it's moving in the right direction. however, the recovery is still really top heavy, and i doubt that these are mostly kickass, raise-a-family type jobs.

    still, looking at what the rest of the world is currently going through, we should definitely be grateful that we live in a place where the fight of the day is about how strong the recovery is this month. seriously.
    What you are seeing here is the benefit of having a private sector economy vs. the world economy dependent on the govt. which is what Obama wants this country to be like. The private sector economy and individual initiative is trying to counter the negative Obama Administrative polices. Imagine what our economy would be like with a pro growth govt. that worked along side the private sector?

  2. #12
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    37,064

    Re: U.S. economy adds 209,000 jobs, unemployment rate rises to 6.2%

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    What you are seeing here is the benefit of having a private sector economy vs. the world economy dependent on the govt. which is what Obama wants this country to be like. The private sector economy and individual initiative is trying to counter the negative Obama Administrative polices. Imagine what our economy would be like with a pro growth govt. that worked along side the private sector?
    i don't agree. the private sector hasn't kept up with the need for good jobs. this is because the private sector has an incentive to run with minimal employment, and doesn't need that many people working full time. our resource distribution model is job > money > access to resources. this requires enough jobs for everyone, unless you'd prefer to support a growing group of unemployed workers as we progress ever closer to a post labor economy.

    personally, i see a lot of things that need done, most of which aren't immediately profitable. i also see a lot of people who could be trained to do those jobs. i'm fine with the public sector employing everyone that the private sector doesn't need. beats paying people not to work, though in the current employment environment and with a huge paywall between the average citizen and higher education / training, i don't have much of a problem with entitlements. laissez faire is a lot like communism : it works in theory, but not in practice. assuming that we want to keep our current resource distribution model, we need to hire people to do things that need to be done. since i'm not for forcing the private sector to pick up the slack (though i would support tax breaks for the corporations that do,) the public sector is the remaining option.

  3. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where I am now
    Last Seen
    09-11-17 @ 03:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,386

    Re: U.S. economy adds 209,000 jobs, unemployment rate rises to 6.2%

    Quote Originally Posted by Helix View Post
    i don't agree. the private sector hasn't kept up with the need for good jobs. this is because the private sector has an incentive to run with minimal employment, and doesn't need that many people working full time. our resource distribution model is job > money > access to resources. this requires enough jobs for everyone, unless you'd prefer to support a growing group of unemployed workers as we progress ever closer to a post labor economy.

    personally, i see a lot of things that need done, most of which aren't immediately profitable. i also see a lot of people who could be trained to do those jobs. i'm fine with the public sector employing everyone that the private sector doesn't need. beats paying people not to work, though in the current employment environment and with a huge paywall between the average citizen and higher education / training, i don't have much of a problem with entitlements. laissez faire is a lot like communism : it works in theory, but not in practice. assuming that we want to keep our current resource distribution model, we need to hire people to do things that need to be done. since i'm not for forcing the private sector to pick up the slack (though i would support tax breaks for the corporations that do,) the public sector is the remaining option.
    And your links to proof of this matter-of-fact statement are...?

    Or would you care to rephrase it in the form of an opinion?
    Last edited by DA60; 08-01-14 at 04:21 PM.

  4. #14
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    37,064

    Re: U.S. economy adds 209,000 jobs, unemployment rate rises to 6.2%

    Quote Originally Posted by DA60 View Post
    And your links to proof of this matter-of-fact statement are...
    it's pretty much on the opposite end of the spectrum from a command economy, which also can't work. in a laissez faire system, there's only incentive to cut costs and make profit. it's pretty much capitalism without any hint of social responsibility. systems like that result in winners, and then fewer winners, and then even fewer until you have massive monopolies. once you get there, the system eats itself.

    Laissez faire resembles an anarchistic form of capitalism, and doesn't work because the entities won't self regulate. proponents of laissez faire claim that the market will regulate itself and that inferior products will be rejected, but i could easily start a company with an inferior (and possibly dangerous) product, put it out there to maximize profit, go under when it's discovered that the product is ****, and then make a new company to produce another lousy product with the profits from the first. not to mention, in a system like that, an employee is little more than an expense, and the only real incentive is to make money.

    personally, i think that capitalism is the best system we've come up with, because it has the potential to bring wealth to the largest number of people. someone can be born into poverty and he or she at least has the chance to become middle class. without regulation, though, it begins to resemble feudalism, with barons and serfs. i know that this idea is not popular with libertarians, but i think that capitalism should have something of a conscience. we should tweak the system, and find the ideal level of regulation. where that point may be is up for debate, but that there should be no regulation or skeletal regulation is not a viable plan, in my opinion. that's what got us to company towns and rivers catching on fire.

  5. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where I am now
    Last Seen
    09-11-17 @ 03:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,386

    Re: U.S. economy adds 209,000 jobs, unemployment rate rises to 6.2%

    Quote Originally Posted by Helix View Post
    it's pretty much on the opposite end of the spectrum from a command economy, which also can't work. in a laissez faire system, there's only incentive to cut costs and make profit. it's pretty much capitalism without any hint of social responsibility. systems like that result in winners, and then fewer winners, and then even fewer until you have massive monopolies. once you get there, the system eats itself.

    Laissez faire resembles an anarchistic form of capitalism, and doesn't work because the entities won't self regulate. proponents of laissez faire claim that the market will regulate itself and that inferior products will be rejected, but i could easily start a company with an inferior (and possibly dangerous) product, put it out there to maximize profit, go under when it's discovered that the product is ****, and then make a new company to produce another lousy product with the profits from the first. not to mention, in a system like that, an employee is little more than an expense, and the only real incentive is to make money.

    personally, i think that capitalism is the best system we've come up with, because it has the potential to bring wealth to the largest number of people. someone can be born into poverty and he or she at least has the chance to become middle class. without regulation, though, it begins to resemble feudalism, with barons and serfs. i know that this idea is not popular with libertarians, but i think that capitalism should have something of a conscience. we should tweak the system, and find the ideal level of regulation. where that point may be is up for debate, but that there should be no regulation or skeletal regulation is not a viable plan, in my opinion. that's what got us to company towns and rivers catching on fire.
    Well spoken...but, respectfully, it's just theory.

    I was only interested in links to evidence of proof.

    I think ANY government involvement in the economy (except with illegalities like fraud and an emergency social safety net) end up skewing the economy in the negative.

    You obviously disagree...so be it.


    Later.

  6. #16
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    37,064

    Re: U.S. economy adds 209,000 jobs, unemployment rate rises to 6.2%

    Quote Originally Posted by DA60 View Post
    Well spoken...but, respectfully, it's just theory.

    I was only interested in links to evidence of proof.

    I think ANY government involvement in the economy (except with illegalities like fraud and an emergency social safety net) end up skewing the economy in the negative.

    You obviously disagree...so be it.


    Later.
    historically, there are a few examples, such as the Irish potato famine :

    The History Place - Irish Potato Famine: The Blight Begins

    the government made a minimalist response, and the private entities exported essential food to where it would reap the biggest profit. tenant farmers were kicked off the lands to starve. the result is that a big chunk of the population had to emigrate to the US.

    like i said, it is a theory, and may even work for brief periods of time. but when things get bad, it seems to cause things to spiral further out of control.

  7. #17
    Sage
    Erod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:00 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,028

    Re: U.S. economy adds 209,000 jobs, unemployment rate rises to 6.2%

    Utter BS.

    There is a staggering number of people of working age that are unemployed. These figures don't count those that quit looking or would rather draw welfare.

  8. #18
    Sage


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    IL
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    36,762

    Re: U.S. economy adds 209,000 jobs, unemployment rate rises to 6.2%

    We all know how ConservaTEA/FOX spinners would be jubilant if these numbers over 200,000 for the last SIX months were for Romney. Another great day for America, another sad day for the anti-Obama/anti-Democratic crowd .
    Physics is Phun

  9. #19
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,250

    Re: U.S. economy adds 209,000 jobs, unemployment rate rises to 6.2%

    Quote Originally Posted by NIMBY View Post
    We all know how ConservaTEA/FOX spinners would be jubilant if these numbers over 200,000 for the last SIX months were for Romney. Another great day for America, another sad day for the anti-Obama/anti-Democratic crowd .
    It is 5 years after the end of the recession and Romney, IMO, would have had better numbers long before this. What is it about Obama that creates your continued loyalty to his incompetence

  10. #20
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,129

    Re: U.S. Adds 209,000 Jobs in July, Unemployment Rate at 6.2%

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    It is lack of leadership, lack of a pro growth economic policy, promotion of class warfare and envy that is leading to this poor recovery and miserable life for millions.
    LOL...says the man who continues to try to argue that the economy was better under the previous clown in the whitehouse. Too funny....
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •