Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13212223
Results 221 to 228 of 228

Thread: GOP blocks bill that would curb tax breaks for firms moving operations overseas

  1. #221
    Sage
    poweRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    35,059

    Re: GOP blocks bill that would curb tax breaks for firms moving operations overseas

    Quote Originally Posted by ludin View Post
    and the strawman failure.
    Says the guy giving all credit under Clinton the the previous two presidents and then providing jack.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    The sad fact is that having a pedophile win is better than having a Democrat in office. I'm all for a solution where a Republican gets in that isn't Moore.

  2. #222
    Sage
    poweRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    35,059

    Re: GOP blocks bill that would curb tax breaks for firms moving operations overseas

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    Sure. Increasing the workforce and investment in American business tends to do that.
    What bills did that exactly?
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    The sad fact is that having a pedophile win is better than having a Democrat in office. I'm all for a solution where a Republican gets in that isn't Moore.

  3. #223
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,114

    Re: GOP blocks bill that would curb tax breaks for firms moving operations overseas

    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    What bills did that exactly?
    Remember the ones you cited in your reply?

  4. #224
    Sage
    poweRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    35,059

    Re: GOP blocks bill that would curb tax breaks for firms moving operations overseas

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    Remember the ones you cited in your reply?
    You lost me here. What post number and I'll check it out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    The sad fact is that having a pedophile win is better than having a Democrat in office. I'm all for a solution where a Republican gets in that isn't Moore.

  5. #225
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,114

    Re: GOP blocks bill that would curb tax breaks for firms moving operations overseas

    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    You lost me here. What post number and I'll check it out.

    Welfare reform and reducing the capital gains tax rate

  6. #226
    Sage
    poweRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    35,059

    Re: GOP blocks bill that would curb tax breaks for firms moving operations overseas

    ok.. I see.

    To a degree I can agree. But reducing the capital gains tax creates a unsustainable surge of investment money and of course... a bubble. The 2001 Tech bubble that burst just four years after Clinton passed that capital gains cut. It creates a surge of upper crust money and they aren't sure what to do with that dollar surplus so they start looking for investments to put them in and these investments get way over inflated... sad thing is, that's where we are at right now. We are living on another unsustainable bubble. The stock market constantly breaking records doesn't necessarily mean a great economy. In this case it just shows off the wealth gap growing and the investment side totally beating out the demand side. If demand doesn't catch up to the investment side... we are going to burst again.

    Clinton also singed into law the GOP notion of NAFTA... made the rich people much more money as they outsourced our jobs. Another short term unsustainable growth spurt... further widening the wealth gap and therefore the supply side outstripped the demand side and then bubble... then... burst.

    Welfare reform... I don't see how that did anything for the economy. Especially when for each dollar spent on welfare creates somewhere in the area of $1.80 in macro-economic growth. I know people will extrapolate that into "well why don't we all just go on welfare then" but I'm hoping more reasonable minds will keep the debate out of such ridiculous territory. This proves that trickle down is a false notion because money is anti-gravity. When you spend money it begins it's journey back up to the top of the food chain... not the bottom.

    * sorry... I know I keep editing this post.
    Last edited by poweRob; 08-04-14 at 10:58 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    The sad fact is that having a pedophile win is better than having a Democrat in office. I'm all for a solution where a Republican gets in that isn't Moore.

  7. #227
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,114

    Re: GOP blocks bill that would curb tax breaks for firms moving operations overseas

    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    ok.. I see.

    To a degree I can agree. But reducing the capital gains tax creates a unsustainable surge of investment money and of course... a bubble. The 2001 Tech bubble that burst just four years after Clinton passed that capital gains cut
    Sure. And it also gave us the modern internet, with all of it's increases in efficiency and increased ability to exchange goods and services. The economic impact of Tech Development was significantly larger than just the losses realized when the Tech Bubble burst.

    It creates a surge of upper crust money and they aren't sure what to do with that dollar surplus so they start looking for investments to put them in and these investments get way over inflated... sad thing is, that's where we are at right now. We are living on another unsustainable bubble
    .....sort of. The global bubble currently is debt-oriented, and especially present in countries like China.

    The stock market constantly breaking records doesn't necessarily mean a great economy.
    Also agreed, it is only one indicator. The large numbers of those who are out of the workforce semi-permanently or permanently, and the loss of net worth on the part of American households suggest strongly that the picture is significantly more mixed.

    Myself, I have about 25% of my long-term savings accounts currently sitting in money market funds. If I'm right, and we're headed towards another significant readjustment, I'll be well positioned to buy. If I'm wrong, I won't lose all the gains

    In this case it just shows off the wealth gap growing and the investment side totally beating out the demand side. If demand doesn't catch up to the investment side... we are going to burst again.
    ....no. Our current doldrums are part of the result of attempting to endlessly prop up demand. What we need to do is let bubble assets depreciate, instead of continuing to try to pump up a balloon with a hole in it.

    Clinton also singed into law the GOP notion of NAFTA... made the rich people much more money as they outsourced our jobs.
    NAFTA made America better off, not just the wealthy. It was another one of the smart things that Clinton did - good point.

    Welfare reform... I don't see how that did anything for the economy.
    It put more workers into it, boosting production.

    Especially when for each dollar spent on welfare creates somewhere in the area of $1.80 in macro-economic growth.
    a formula dependent on pretending that the dollar appears from "nowhere". Let me know if you are ever able to find a keynesian claim on such a high multiplier effect that includes a cost-benefit analysis of pulling that dollar out of the economy before the government puts it back in.

    I know people will extrapolate that into "well why don't we all just go on welfare then" but I'm hoping more reasonable minds will keep the debate out of such ridiculous territory.
    they are pointing out that the argument that government spending is productive is based on a false premise, one that is demonstrated when you take it to its logical conclusion.

    This proves that trickle down is a false notion because money is anti-gravity
    You are correct that trickle-down is a false notion, but only because it is a strawman argument made up by free trade's opponents.

    * sorry... I know I keep editing this post.
    no prob - we've all been there.

  8. #228
    Sage
    poweRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    35,059

    Re: GOP blocks bill that would curb tax breaks for firms moving operations overseas

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    Sure. And it also gave us the modern internet, with all of it's increases in efficiency and increased ability to exchange goods and services. The economic impact of Tech Development was significantly larger than just the losses realized when the Tech Bubble burst.



    .....sort of. The global bubble currently is debt-oriented, and especially present in countries like China.



    Also agreed, it is only one indicator. The large numbers of those who are out of the workforce semi-permanently or permanently, and the loss of net worth on the part of American households suggest strongly that the picture is significantly more mixed.

    Myself, I have about 25% of my long-term savings accounts currently sitting in money market funds. If I'm right, and we're headed towards another significant readjustment, I'll be well positioned to buy. If I'm wrong, I won't lose all the gains



    ....no. Our current doldrums are part of the result of attempting to endlessly prop up demand. What we need to do is let bubble assets depreciate, instead of continuing to try to pump up a balloon with a hole in it.



    NAFTA made America better off, not just the wealthy. It was another one of the smart things that Clinton did - good point.



    It put more workers into it, boosting production.



    a formula dependent on pretending that the dollar appears from "nowhere". Let me know if you are ever able to find a keynesian claim on such a high multiplier effect that includes a cost-benefit analysis of pulling that dollar out of the economy before the government puts it back in.



    they are pointing out that the argument that government spending is productive is based on a false premise, one that is demonstrated when you take it to its logical conclusion.



    You are correct that trickle-down is a false notion, but only because it is a strawman argument made up by free trade's opponents.



    no prob - we've all been there.
    I disagree with you on so many fronts of this post but at least it was a cogent and reasonable response and I appreciate that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    The sad fact is that having a pedophile win is better than having a Democrat in office. I'm all for a solution where a Republican gets in that isn't Moore.

Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13212223

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •