Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 132

Thread: Ebola fears hit close to home

  1. #61
    Light△Bender

    grip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ☚ ☛
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 02:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,224
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Ebola fears hit close to home

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    Don't worry everyone - the US is planning on importing Ebola to Atlanta. This Atlanta Hospital (Emory University Hospital) says it's confident it's facilities can withstand the outbreak of Ebola and the CDC apparently agrees. I certainly support the willingness to help here but ffs, why bring the patient to US soil? I don't care how good our containment protocols are, it's just stupid. What breakthrough treatment or miracle drug do we have to save this patient? We don't.... IMO this is just so a hospital can use their spiffy isolation area and can use this as a marketing tool to bring in more revenue's in the future.

    Stupid.

    Atlanta hospital to receive Ebola patient
    My comments on it aren't to worry everyone, because in its current form, it's probably going to die out like it has in the past. It doesn't spread any easier than Hep C or HIV right now. And I'm sure the CDC has samples already in cold storage, so the disease is probably on US soil. I remember after it first appeared about the rumors that the CIA created the stuff for germ warfare and lost control of a test. I have no doubt there are far more lethal weaponized diseases in some facility.

    The reasoning for bringing this patient here is because he's possibly going to survive with better symptom treatment, especially after the early stages. Just mitigating the temperature, IV hydration, electrolytes, nutrition and other bodily functions will improve his chances. Also this doctor was transfused with the blood of a survivor, which had antibodies that may help his blood develop an even stronger immune response. A vaccination or serum may be made from his genes if he survives.
    Einstein, "science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

  2. #62
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Ebola fears hit close to home

    Quote Originally Posted by grip View Post
    My comments on it aren't to worry everyone, because in its current form, it's probably going to die out like it has in the past. It doesn't spread any easier than Hep C or HIV right now. And I'm sure the CDC has samples already in cold storage, so the disease is probably on US soil. I remember after it first appeared about the rumors that the CIA created the stuff for germ warfare and lost control of a test. I have no doubt there are far more lethal weaponized diseases in some facility.
    Having a weaponized disease in a security lock down laboratory is one thing, having a live human host in an active public hospital is another.

    Quote Originally Posted by grip View Post
    The reasoning for bringing this patient here is because he's possibly going to survive with better symptom treatment, especially after the early stages. Just mitigating the temperature, IV hydration, electrolytes, nutrition and other bodily functions will improve his chances. Also this doctor was transfused with the blood of a survivor, which had antibodies that may help his blood develop an even stronger immune response. A vaccination or serum may be made from his genes if he survives.
    Why can't our improved symptom treatment and procedures go to Africa then? If that's all it really is, there's no need to bring him to the US while still in an infectious state.
    “I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on what’s being proposed here, he’d agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute.” - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  3. #63
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,547

    Re: Ebola fears hit close to home

    Cue conspiracy theorists: They're bringing ebola patients to the US in order to experiment with creating a weaponized strain of Ebola virus.

    Pass it on.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  4. #64
    Light△Bender

    grip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ☚ ☛
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 02:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,224
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Ebola fears hit close to home

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    Having a weaponized disease in a security lock down laboratory is one thing, having a live human host in an active public hospital is another.
    I'm sure they'll be taking every precaution, though I agree it's more risky with a live patient than handling a vial in a lab. There must be a reason (experiment), besides humanitarian or they wouldn't take the risk. With the way people travel now days it's easier to try and get a treatment now than wait till it hops here from overseas.

    Why can't our improved symptom treatment and procedures go to Africa then? If that's all it really is, there's no need to bring him to the US while still in an infectious state.
    The CDC just sent 50 more personnel but that's a drop in the bucket of what's needed. Have you heard about the treatment facilities and conditions over there? It's a nightmare according to one British doctor who went there to help. Poor containment, 24 hour shifts and untrained help.
    Einstein, "science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

  5. #65
    Sage
    EnigmaO01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Indiana
    Last Seen
    12-12-17 @ 12:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,027

    Re: Ebola fears hit close to home

    Quote Originally Posted by WCH View Post
    AIDES....buff said
    So what's your point?

  6. #66
    Sage
    EnigmaO01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Indiana
    Last Seen
    12-12-17 @ 12:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,027

    Re: Ebola fears hit close to home

    Quote Originally Posted by jmotivator View Post
    Because who cares if there are 30,000 infected people? They're in another country!
    And aides never made it here did it?

  7. #67
    Sage
    Erod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:30 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,071

    Re: Ebola fears hit close to home

    Quote Originally Posted by EnigmaO01 View Post
    And aides never made it here did it?
    Among the heterosexual, non-needle-sharing crowd, not so much.

  8. #68
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Ebola fears hit close to home

    Quote Originally Posted by grip View Post
    I'm sure they'll be taking every precaution, though I agree it's more risky with a live patient than handling a vial in a lab. There must be a reason (experiment), besides humanitarian or they wouldn't take the risk. With the way people travel now days it's easier to try and get a treatment now than wait till it hops here from overseas.
    Humans being the ever flawed beings they are concerns me... one "oopsie" and 30 days later we could be having a big problem.

    Quote Originally Posted by grip View Post
    The CDC just sent 50 more personnel but that's a drop in the bucket of what's needed. Have you heard about the treatment facilities and conditions over there? It's a nightmare according to one British doctor who went there to help. Poor containment, 24 hour shifts and untrained help.
    Which is why I think exporting as many CDC mobile treatment and emergency containment facilities could help. Let's take our procedures and treatments on the road and not only end this outbreak but use it as a teaching moment so any future outbreak could be less severe. It's too bad we can't get an Executive Order from our President to do that while Congress is vacationing for the next 5 weeks.
    “I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on what’s being proposed here, he’d agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute.” - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  9. #69
    Sage
    EnigmaO01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Indiana
    Last Seen
    12-12-17 @ 12:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,027

    Re: Ebola fears hit close to home

    Quote Originally Posted by Summerwind View Post
    I agree with the premise, but to panic now is juvenile, just as it was with SARS and the bird flu. We (first world countries) don't live in 1919 anymore, and IF everyone is SOOOOOO worried about these things then why aren't we doing more to fund the research for solutions, and then accept the cost lost as we give the benefit to those in second and third world countries.

    As you point out, Ebola isn't new. The concern isn't new, and yet we seem way too pleased with ourselves for ignoring it while it's in 2nd and 3rd world countries and then PANIC when one person in one 2nd world country becomes ill and dies because he contracted in yet a different 2nd world country just because his home is in the USA.

    That's what's ridiculous. IF it's truly that much of a concern, it should already be a top priority to stop it in it's tracks in Africa, but that's too costly since most of Africa wouldn't be able to afford the meds since pharma has no motivation besides profit.
    You're right we don't live in 1919 anymore. Transportation of potential carriers is a lot faster now. A lot faster!

  10. #70
    Light△Bender

    grip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ☚ ☛
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 02:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,224
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Ebola fears hit close to home

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    Humans being the ever flawed beings they are concerns me... one "oopsie" and 30 days later we could be having a big problem.



    Which is why I think exporting as many CDC mobile treatment and emergency containment facilities could help. Let's take our procedures and treatments on the road and not only end this outbreak but use it as a teaching moment so any future outbreak could be less severe. It's too bad we can't get an Executive Order from our President to do that while Congress is vacationing for the next 5 weeks.

    It's probably a matter of not having the research and treatment facilities at hand, and possibly the gov't over there not allowing us to take over the situation completely? Even a mobile center would take more time to set up properly than what the disease rate of spreading is allowing. I agree though that we should not be sparing any expense at containing and treating on site. Part of it could actually be cost, knowing our cheap gov't agencies.
    Einstein, "science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •