Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 132

Thread: Ebola fears hit close to home

  1. #121
    Sage
    truthatallcost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:51 AM
    Gender
    Posts
    12,323

    Re: Ebola fears hit close to home

    Our govt records our internet data, as a matter of "national security", well isn't Ebola a matter of national security? All the NSA spying didn't prevent any terrorist attack, yet we're being told, "don't worry, its under control". What was the govt's stance on Fukushima? "Don't worry, it's under control". Yet the fall out from that still remains to be seen, and the govt isn't doing any scientific monitoring of it as far as I know. I don't trust the govt to handle the Ebola issue any better than they did with Fukushima.

  2. #122
    Educator HogWash's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Last Seen
    05-03-15 @ 12:47 AM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    997

    Re: Ebola fears hit close to home

    Quote Originally Posted by Summerwind View Post
    One American dies in another country, having contracted it in another country and it's looking like a bad movie???? I'm sure that many in those countries have been exposed by him and others, otherwise he wouldn't have been exposed. One more person isn't newsworthy. Wow, there's that drama qu... again.
    Why don't you travel over to that part of the world and report back in a few weeks re: your personal health.
    Liberalism—dividing up the EARNED wealth of honest, hard working and ingenious AMERICANS and giving it to the leeches who would rather waste their worthless lives living off the government teat.
    -----HogWash-----

  3. #123
    Sage
    Fenton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,320

    Re: Ebola fears hit close to home

    Quote Originally Posted by Infinite Chaos View Post
    You're ignoring the WHO chair statement today - "experiences in Africa over nearly four decades tell us clearly that, when well managed, an Ebola outbreak can be stopped"

    They'e not pointless efforts - they've stopped outbreaks spreading for 4 decades.



    Ebola is not just found in fruit bats - other animals can be a harbour. Should people stop eating other animals? Also - as another pointed out, Ebola can survive in bodily fluids outside the body. Fruit bats are eaten by other animals and they excrete (meaning poop can be anywhere) Should people stop eating any animals? Stop eating plants that might have had fruit bat poop on them or near them?

    Ebola has no cure at present but it doesn't kill as many people as does Influenza or many other viruses which still kill lots of people now. Ebola has only been known in recorded history to kill under 5000 people.

    How many have died from the flu virus?



    You need to get a better perspective on this. Ebola is scary but it's not virulent or contagious. It's nowhere near being an "epidemic"
    From what I've read those Fruit Bats are the primary carriers of the virus.

    But the fact that other animals may carry the virus is irrellvent.

    The fact the Fruit bat is a carrier is irrelevant.

    If you gave them a list of what behaviours to avoid, after you've risked your life to help them and they agreed only to go right back to the risky behaviour, why would you continue to put your life in jeopardy ?

    There was a group of Americans who went out to some of the small African communities located in and around some of the driest and hottest areas in the Country.

    They rigged up large stretches of netting that caught the morning condensation, and then funneled it down to large containers.

    This fresh water rig provided large amounts of fresh water for the local villages.

    Before they left they showed the people how to maintain the netting.

    A year later they returned to find the whole thing utterly destoyed due to a lack of maintenance.

    These aren't the type of people that respond to instructions.

    Its why Africa is always ground zero for a variety of humanitarian crisis.

  4. #124
    Sage
    Fenton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,320

    Re: Ebola fears hit close to home

    Quote Originally Posted by truthatallcost View Post
    Our govt records our internet data, as a matter of "national security", well isn't Ebola a matter of national security? All the NSA spying didn't prevent any terrorist attack, yet we're being told, "don't worry, its under control". What was the govt's stance on Fukushima? "Don't worry, it's under control". Yet the fall out from that still remains to be seen, and the govt isn't doing any scientific monitoring of it as far as I know. I don't trust the govt to handle the Ebola issue any better than they did with Fukushima.
    Excellent point.

  5. #125
    Sage
    Infinite Chaos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Last Seen
    11-19-17 @ 06:45 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    14,858

    Re: Ebola fears hit close to home

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenton View Post
    There was a group of Americans who went out to some of the small African communities located in and around some of the driest and hottest areas in the Country.

    They rigged up large stretches of netting that caught the morning condensation, and then funneled it down to large containers.

    This fresh water rig provided large amounts of fresh water for the local villages.

    Before they left they showed the people how to maintain the netting.

    A year later they returned to find the whole thing utterly destoyed due to a lack of maintenance.

    These aren't the type of people that respond to instructions.

    Its why Africa is always ground zero for a variety of humanitarian crisis.
    You have a link for that project?

    My brother-in-law works in water projects around the world and he's never heard of such a project. Africa has been found to have huge underground water reserves which is why 100% of African water projects tend to use bore-holes and drilling down to these resevoirs.

    The only dew collection project I know of is the one in Chungongo - Chile where reasons for failure included lack of maintenance. South America does not have huge underground water reserves.

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenton View Post
    From what I've read those Fruit Bats are the primary carriers of the virus.

    But the fact that other animals may carry the virus is irrellvent.

    The fact the Fruit bat is a carrier is irrelevant.

    If you gave them a list of what behaviours to avoid, after you've risked your life to help them and they agreed only to go right back to the risky behaviour, why would you continue to put your life in jeopardy ?
    Your premise is based on misinformation or confusing aid on one continent to another ad as I pointed out - WHO is involved as are American CDC which has prevented Ebola becoming worse for 40 years. That's why you do aid.

    Look, people like me who've gone out to help don't do it for the praise of people like you who will never see any aid or financial return in helping the poorest of the poor. We don't do it to make you feel better or to make sense to you. It's a calling and people just respond.

  6. #126
    Sage
    Fenton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,320

    Re: Ebola fears hit close to home

    Quote Originally Posted by Infinite Chaos View Post
    You have a link for that project?

    My brother-in-law works in water projects around the world and he's never heard of such a project. Africa has been found to have huge underground water reserves which is why 100% of African water projects tend to use bore-holes and drilling down to these resevoirs.

    The only dew collection project I know of is the one in Chungongo - Chile where reasons for failure included lack of maintenance. South America does not have huge underground water reserves.



    Your premise is based on misinformation or confusing aid on one continent to another ad as I pointed out - WHO is involved as are American CDC which has prevented Ebola becoming worse for 40 years. That's why you do aid.

    Look, people like me who've gone out to help don't do it for the praise of people like you who will never see any aid or financial return in helping the poorest of the poor. We don't do it to make you feel better or to make sense to you. It's a calling and people just respond.

    Why are we having this discussion ?

    Because things have changed after 40 years of WHO and the American CDC intervention.

    Which means these people have NEVER changed their behavior.

    Right ? Or is all of this being blown out of proportion ?
    Last edited by Fenton; 08-02-14 at 01:42 PM.

  7. #127
    Sage
    Infinite Chaos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Last Seen
    11-19-17 @ 06:45 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    14,858

    Re: Ebola fears hit close to home

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenton View Post
    Why are we having this discussion ?

    Because things have changed after 40 years of WHO and the American CDC intervention.

    Which means these people have NEVER changed their behavior.

    Right ? Or is all of this being blown out of proportion ?
    Please add up all the number of deaths from Ebola over 40 years - try this CDC page and tell me why you're so scared. You're damn right this is being blown out of proportion.

    As for "behaviour" - you're simply trying to pass blame onto Africans. You seem to have an irrational response to eating fruit-bats however fruit bats are a greater vector than just human consumption.

    WHO page - "Pig farms in Africa can play a role in the amplification of infection because of the presence of fruit bats on these farms."

    The simple fact is body fluid secretions can be transmitted through all sorts of ways - the Ebola virus family also exists in China where transmission through pig flesh is proven by WHO. Stop trying to blame Africans for eating fruit bats despite your advice - there are a variety of ways the diseased fluids transmit to humans.

  8. #128
    Sage
    DDD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Republic of Dardania
    Last Seen
    05-06-17 @ 06:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,173

    Re: Ebola fears hit close to home

    Darn it, of all the places he could have gone for a conference!
    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    Stats come out and always show life getting better. News makes money in making you think its not.
    The Republic of Dardania is the proper name for: http://www.debatepolitics.com/europe...ification.html

  9. #129
    Sage
    Fenton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,320

    Re: Ebola fears hit close to home

    Quote Originally Posted by Infinite Chaos View Post
    Please add up all the number of deaths from Ebola over 40 years - try this CDC page and tell me why you're so scared. You're damn right this is being blown out of proportion.

    As for "behaviour" - you're simply trying to pass blame onto Africans. You seem to have an irrational response to eating fruit-bats however fruit bats are a greater vector than just human consumption.

    WHO page - "Pig farms in Africa can play a role in the amplification of infection because of the presence of fruit bats on these farms."

    The simple fact is body fluid secretions can be transmitted through all sorts of ways - the Ebola virus family also exists in China where transmission through pig flesh is proven by WHO. Stop trying to blame Africans for eating fruit bats despite your advice - there are a variety of ways the diseased fluids transmit to humans.

    What's wrong with you ?? OF-COURSE Africans are to blame ! They need to CHANGE THEIR BEHAVIOR, their actions after they've been warned.

    " Fruit bats are among the most notorious for spreading disease, according to the FAO. The U.N. organization said West Africa’s current epidemic, which has so far killed at least 604 people in Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone, was probably first transferred from an infected animal, and then began spreading between people. Ebola is transferred by direct contact with the blood or body of infected people or animals. "

    UN warns West Africans to stay away from fruit bats as Ebola spreads | Al Jazeera America

    Fruit bats are the presumptive reservoir hosts of Ebola viruses (EBOVs) (genus Ebolavirus, family Filoviridae). When transmitted to humans and nonhuman primates, EBOVs can cause hemorrhagic fevers with high case-fatality rates. In 2008, we detected Zaire EBOV (ZEBOV) antibodies in a single migratory fruit bat (Eidolon helvum) from a roost in Accra, Ghana (1). This bat is common in sub-Saharan Africa and lives in large colonies, often in cities. The flight of an individual E. helvum bat during migration has been recorded as >2,500 km (2).

    You're worried about hurting people's feelings ? Your'e worried about accountability ? What about the thousands of Dead Africans ??

    And DO let me know when the next Ebola outbreak occurs in " China "
    The New Democratic Party Slogan :

    " Return to Power By Any Means Necessary "

  10. #130
    Sage
    Infinite Chaos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Last Seen
    11-19-17 @ 06:45 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    14,858

    Re: Ebola fears hit close to home

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenton View Post
    What's wrong with you ?? OF-COURSE Africans are to blame ! They need to CHANGE THEIR BEHAVIOR, their actions after they've been warned.

    " Fruit bats are among the most notorious for spreading disease, according to the FAO. The U.N. organization said West Africa’s current epidemic, which has so far killed at least 604 people in Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone, was probably first transferred from an infected animal, and then began spreading between people. Ebola is transferred by direct contact with the blood or body of infected people or animals. "

    UN warns West Africans to stay away from fruit bats as Ebola spreads | Al Jazeera America

    Fruit bats are the presumptive reservoir hosts of Ebola viruses (EBOVs) (genus Ebolavirus, family Filoviridae). When transmitted to humans and nonhuman primates, EBOVs can cause hemorrhagic fevers with high case-fatality rates. In 2008, we detected Zaire EBOV (ZEBOV) antibodies in a single migratory fruit bat (Eidolon helvum) from a roost in Accra, Ghana (1). This bat is common in sub-Saharan Africa and lives in large colonies, often in cities. The flight of an individual E. helvum bat during migration has been recorded as >2,500 km (2).

    You're worried about hurting people's feelings ? Your'e worried about accountability ? What about the thousands of Dead Africans ??
    How many thousands in 40 years?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenton View Post
    And DO let me know when the next Ebola outbreak occurs in " China "
    You are obviously poorly informed. If you weren't you wouldn't be panicking over a virus which has only killed less than 3000 people in 40 years and secondly you would have heard of "RESTON Ebolavirus" and it hit the US in 1989 after previously only being reported in China and the Philipinnes.

    Panicking again?

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •