Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 174

Thread: Louisiana Republican Flees Interview When Asked About Obama's Birthplace

  1. #101
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Louisiana Republican Flees Interview When Asked About Obama's Birthplace

    Quote Originally Posted by donsutherland1 View Post
    The question concerning her position on climate change was a serious question, as climate change is an issue that has come before the Congress in recent years and almost certainly will do so again.

    In the past, Ms. Whitney stated, "Quite inconveniently for Al Gore, and for the rest of the politicians who continue to advance this delusion, any 10-year-old can invalidate their thesis with one of the simplest scientific devices known to man: a thermometer."

    Lenar Whitney: Climate change is the biggest 'deception' - UPI.com

    That statement would imply that she had seen information concerning temperature data indicating that the world is not warming.

    Here's what the interviewer noted in The Washington Post:

    Whitney’s brand of rhetoric obviously resonates with some very conservative Louisiana voters who view President Obama and the Environmental Protection Agency as big-city elitists directly attacking the state’s energy industry and their own way of life. And she would hardly be the first “climate denier” elected to Congress. But it’s not unreasonable to expect candidates to explain how they arrived at their positions, and when I pressed Whitney repeatedly for the source of her claim that the earth is getting colder, she froze and was unable to cite a single scientist, journal or news source to back up her beliefs.

    The most frightening candidate I

    The gap between her unambiguous claim and her inability to respond to the question revealed that her unambiguous claim on climate change was nothing more than a hollow soundbite. Not every political leader will reach or accept the same conclusions on given issues (even matters where there is scientific or economic consensus), but the adoption of superficial positions that are little more than soundbites does not give confidence that such leaders will be willing or able to make informed judgments.
    Those who believe in global warming would also have difficulty outlining their beliefs in a scientific manner. Since global warming, or cooling, is out of her hands it is irrelevant to her candidacy. Certainly there are more important questions relevant where she is able to have some control rather than silly questions like this.

    Its one of those 'do you believe in God' questions where the belief, and the positive response, is really the important part.

  2. #102
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,143

    Re: Louisiana Republican Flees Interview When Asked About Obama's Birthplace

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Those who believe in global warming would also have difficulty outlining their beliefs in a scientific manner. Since global warming, or cooling, is out of her hands it is irrelevant to her candidacy. Certainly there are more important questions relevant to where she is able to have some control than silly questions like this. Its one of those 'do you believe in God' questions where the belief, and the positive response, is really the important part.
    [emphasis added by bubba]

    so, what you are telling us is that she does not need to have reason to believe that global warming is not real, that it is simply [<- specifically chosen word] a matter of "faith"

    then you would also tell us that despite the scientific basis to find evolution real, that it too, could be denied only because of 'faith'

    absurd
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  3. #103
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Louisiana Republican Flees Interview When Asked About Obama's Birthplace

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    [emphasis added by bubba]

    so, what you are telling us is that she does not need to have reason to believe that global warming is not real, that it is simply [<- specifically chosen word] a matter of "faith"

    then you would also tell us that despite the scientific basis to find evolution real, that it too, could be denied only because of 'faith'

    absurd
    Please read the post again. Evolution was not mentioned.

  4. #104
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    21,765

    Re: Louisiana Republican Flees Interview When Asked About Obama's Birthplace

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    Oh don't get me wrong, I'm no birther either. The original birthers were Hillary supporters so it sprang from politics. I can't believe anyone followed suit and kept it going. But I would vote for someone who for whatever reason thought there may be some merit to the story and said as much assuming that said candidate would be a good legislator in DC.
    There was a time, early on, when some doubt was (arguably) a rational or at least non-insane position. But really, after six years, there is a pile of evidence he was in fact born in Hawaii, and NOTHING to indicate otherwise. Furthermore, all the claims of the original birthers have been thoroughly debunked, time and again, often laughably so and so there is just nothing left to debate, unless there is a vast conspiracy across the entire State of Hawaii government, the U.S. government, including the passport office, CIA, FBI, etc.

    Anyway, I'm biased, but the birther line is to me a line that in 2014 can't be crossed by serious people who want to serve in a serious office. In my view, it reflects a basic contempt for facts and/or a willingness to take a position contrary to ALL KNOWN FACTS, and that disqualifies someone as an elected official in my view.

    Donald I think let his grandiose demeanor get in the way of clear thinking when he went there.
    Well, he's a shameless, self promoting huckster, which is fine.

  5. #105
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    21,765

    Re: Louisiana Republican Flees Interview When Asked About Obama's Birthplace

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    Well, I'm confused by your post. You call them nutjobs, and yet you say this:

    Oh, wait!!! "...others may (I thought it read, "and I sure DO!)... My bad.

    Never mind.
    No problem! I thought there must have been a wire crossed there..

  6. #106
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    21,765

    Re: Louisiana Republican Flees Interview When Asked About Obama's Birthplace

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Those who believe in global warming would also have difficulty outlining their beliefs in a scientific manner. Since global warming, or cooling, is out of her hands it is irrelevant to her candidacy. Certainly there are more important questions relevant where she is able to have some control rather than silly questions like this.

    Its one of those 'do you believe in God' questions where the belief, and the positive response, is really the important part.
    Well, it's not that difficult. I accept humans are affecting the climate, and there is a potential this effect could have serious long term, very negative consequences, because that's the opinion of most of the world's scientific bodies and of the large majority of active climate researchers. The tough question is what should be done to mitigate our effect, which is limited by cost and what we'd get if we incurred those costs, etc.

    But what you believe about AGW has, or could have, a huge influence on a number of major policy choices. So it's nothing like "Do you believe in God." If you believe AGW is a threat, you must support efforts to reduce carbon emissions, which means supporting alternatives, and discouraging the use of fossil fuels. If you believe AGW is a threat and the response is to 'do nothing' then that says a lot too - 'f the next generation if it means a sacrifice today,' among other things.

    I just don't see how you can see the AGW question as irrelevant for public office at the national level.

  7. #107
    Educator
    keymanjim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Last Seen
    07-03-17 @ 12:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    1,002

    Re: Louisiana Republican Flees Interview When Asked About Obama's Birthplace

    Bypassing the bevy of progressive pivot-men to this circle jerk of a thread, how many progressive candidates did this same 'reporter' ask the same question to?
    11 Liberal Rules for Racism in America
    それは残念だよね?
    Obama is a clown in blackface. Oops! I misspoke. My bad.

  8. #108
    Sage


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    IL
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    36,785

    Re: Louisiana Republican Flees Interview When Asked About Obama's Birthplace

    When Congressman Cassidy running neck-and-neck with Sen. Landrieu is asked this question, he loses the run-off in December .
    Physics is Phun

  9. #109
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Louisiana Republican Flees Interview When Asked About Obama's Birthplace

    Quote Originally Posted by JasperL View Post
    Well, it's not that difficult. I accept humans are affecting the climate, and there is a potential this effect could have serious long term, very negative consequences, because that's the opinion of most of the world's scientific bodies and of the large majority of active climate researchers. The tough question is what should be done to mitigate our effect, which is limited by cost and what we'd get if we incurred those costs, etc.

    But what you believe about AGW has, or could have, a huge influence on a number of major policy choices. So it's nothing like "Do you believe in God." If you believe AGW is a threat, you must support efforts to reduce carbon emissions, which means supporting alternatives, and discouraging the use of fossil fuels. If you believe AGW is a threat and the response is to 'do nothing' then that says a lot too - 'f the next generation if it means a sacrifice today,' among other things.

    I just don't see how you can see the AGW question as irrelevant for public office at the national level.
    You just used the phrase "If you believe AGW is a threat". The words "If" and "believe" pretty much sums up the connection to religion.

  10. #110
    Sage
    AliHajiSheik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,377

    Re: Louisiana Republican Flees Interview When Asked About Obama's Birthplace

    Quote Originally Posted by Summerwind View Post
    Except the only way to know if you want to even see what she does, is by listening to what she says. Are you suggesting that one should be elected regardless of what they say? And then the electorate should just live with it, even if what she'd been saying indicated that she was too stupid to be of any use to anyone? How bizarre. But I guess it confirms the idea that Republicans idolize ignorance.
    I'll make sure that the candidates for my representative aren't stupid and you do the same. What goes on in another district is just team sports.

    Amazing that you had that entire monolog and I didn't even have to say anything, the end result is that you confirmed your own hypothesis in a vacuum. Brilliant!

Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •