Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 175

Thread: Appeals court upholds decision overturning Virginia’s same-sex marriage ban

  1. #41
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,785

    Re: Virginia falls! Courts deny ban on SSM

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    If the legal contract is marriage I fully expect gender distinctions to be made since marriage isn't "a couple of something". It is one of the male and one of the female joined together. It's not two male fittings awkwardly taped together to try to complete a circuit. Or two female fittings with some sort of adapter to make them work in a way they weren't supposed to.
    You might expect that, but you are wrong. The government cannot make such a distinction in any contract, law, regulation, or action without an important state interest in doing so. A dictionary definition of marriage is irrelevant, because this isn't an argument of definitions, it's one of actions. No contract, marriage or otherwise, can make that distinction without passing the test that the 14th amendment brings.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  2. #42
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Virginia falls! Courts deny ban on SSM

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    It's been supported in every single state where challenged. They are wasting taxpayer $$. In order to make political points. In order to retain the bigot vote.
    Supported by who? The entire reason for the challenge was because the people of those states didn't support homosexual marriage. The only support these challenges have received are from courts, relying on suspect precedence.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    The bold is just dehumanizing and bigoted. It actually diminishes the institution of marriage in general. "PLaying house." Hey, if it's such bull****, why are ya'll working so hard to protect it from 'the geighs!'
    Put the hate back in your pocket. I answered your post with the same tone it was made of. Namecalling and silly rhetoric seem to suit you well.

  3. #43
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    21,769

    Re: Virginia falls! Courts deny ban on SSM

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    I suppose soon enough homosexuals will be playing husband and wife all across the nation, though. I don't know why but it seems that any society that encourages rampant homosexuality doesn't last long after that happens. When in Rome, huh? Now if we lower the age of sexual consent for boys to be molested by men, we'll be taking another glorious step down the path of Rome. First things first, though. Got to make the oxymoron of homosexual marriage the law of the land in all 50 states in order to argue that homosexuality is as normal as heterosexuality first. Priorities. Must have priorities.
    Don't you think the bigger problem with "marriage" in the U.S. is lack of it, and/or divorce, among straight and normal heterosexuals? It's always puzzled me a bit - there is this gigantic log in the eye of the straight community regarding single motherhood and divorce, but the time and effort is expended keeping gays FROM marrying. Weird...

  4. #44
    Sage
    Papa bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-25-15 @ 01:35 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,927

    Re: Virginia falls! Courts deny ban on SSM

    Quote Originally Posted by JasperL View Post
    Don't you think the bigger problem with "marriage" in the U.S. is lack of it, and/or divorce, among straight and normal heterosexuals? It's always puzzled me a bit - there is this gigantic log in the eye of the straight community regarding single motherhood and divorce, but the time and effort is expended keeping gays FROM marrying. Weird...
    Divorce is a problem but not the same kind of problem the deconstruction of it is. It's foolish to argue that one problem is justification for adding more problems.
    You can't reason anyone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into in the first place.

  5. #45
    Sage
    Papa bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-25-15 @ 01:35 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,927

    Re: Virginia falls! Courts deny ban on SSM

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    You might expect that, but you are wrong. The government cannot make such a distinction in any contract, law, regulation, or action without an important state interest in doing so. A dictionary definition of marriage is irrelevant, because this isn't an argument of definitions, it's one of actions. No contract, marriage or otherwise, can make that distinction without passing the test that the 14th amendment brings.
    That's silly. Governed absolutely can define marriage as the male and female union that nature and our government intended. Besides. No one was ever barred from marriage based on their own sex.
    You can't reason anyone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into in the first place.

  6. #46
    Hot Flash Mama
    Summerwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Last Seen
    01-23-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,010

    Re: Virginia falls! Courts deny ban on SSM

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    I've laughed at a few homosexuals for their fixation on getting straight men for that very reason, but that doesn't stop them from trying like hell and the normalization of homosexuality does seem to aid them in this endeavor.
    I'm curious, why don't you consider yourself sexist for thinking that it's okay and usual for women to have to fend off horny men, but men shouldn't have to suffer such indignation?
    jallman: "It's all good. At least you have a thick skin and can take being poked fun back at without crying. "

  7. #47
    Sage
    Papa bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-25-15 @ 01:35 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,927

    Re: Virginia falls! Courts deny ban on SSM

    Quote Originally Posted by Summerwind View Post
    I'm curious, why don't you consider yourself sexist for thinking that it's okay and usual for women to have to fend off horny men, but men shouldn't have to suffer such indignation?
    Why do you think I consider rude sexual advances appropriate for anyone? Merely explaining the motivation for homosexual marriage activism isn't approval of anything.
    You can't reason anyone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into in the first place.

  8. #48
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,785

    Re: Virginia falls! Courts deny ban on SSM

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    That's silly. Governed absolutely can define marriage as the male and female union that nature and our government intended. Besides. No one was ever barred from marriage based on their own sex.
    The 14th amendment says they can't. Because no important state interest exists in defining marriage as between a man and a woman. Nobody was ever barred from marriage based on their own race either. But a race-based distinction in marriage contracts failed to meet th test of (strict) constitutional scrutiny. (Intermediate scrutiny applies for distinctions of gender)
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  9. #49
    Hot Flash Mama
    Summerwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Last Seen
    01-23-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,010

    Re: Virginia falls! Courts deny ban on SSM

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    Why do you think I consider rude sexual advances appropriate for anyone? Merely explaining the motivation for homosexual marriage activism isn't approval of anything.
    Well you acknowledge that women have to suffer it and yet demand the men are too fragile to have deal with it. I guess you're right, you aren't being negative about women, you're calling men pussies, all of 'em.
    jallman: "It's all good. At least you have a thick skin and can take being poked fun back at without crying. "

  10. #50
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,785

    Re: Virginia falls! Courts deny ban on SSM

    Quote Originally Posted by Summerwind View Post
    I'm curious, why don't you consider yourself sexist for thinking that it's okay and usual for women to have to fend off horny men, but men shouldn't have to suffer such indignation?
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    Why do you think I consider rude sexual advances appropriate for anyone? Merely explaining the motivation for homosexual marriage activism isn't approval of anything.
    Better question: why is any of this relevant to marriage?

    It isn't. Who makes what kind of sexual advances towards whom is completely irrelevant to government sanction of a marriage contract
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •