Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 175

Thread: Appeals court upholds decision overturning Virginia’s same-sex marriage ban

  1. #11
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,830

    Re: Virginia falls! Courts deny ban on SSM

    Quote Originally Posted by DiAnna View Post
    A word to the wise: Don't count your USSC rulings before they are hatched. A majority that allows certain employers to prevent their employees' insurance from covering medical procedures and medications based on the employer's religious beliefs is certainly not a slam-dunk to uphold the constitutional protections of SSM.

    I certainly have my fingers crossed that they do, and eliminate all this state-by-state bigotry once and for all... but I am not at all confident in this particular SCOTUS.
    Rest assured, SCOTUS has already decided this in favor of marriage equality. It's hidden in the Windsor decision. Even Antonin Scalia acknowledged that in his dissent.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  2. #12
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,830

    Re: Virginia falls! Courts deny ban on SSM

    Quote Originally Posted by CRUE CAB View Post
    Virginia, Mother of Presidents. Died just alittle.
    Identify a specific, measurable impact on any person in Virginia.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  3. #13
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,830

    Re: Virginia falls! Courts deny ban on SSM

    The closely linked interest of promoting moral principles is similarly infirm in light of Lawrence: “the fact that the governing majority in a State has traditionally viewed a particular practice as immoral is not a sufficient reason for upholding a law prohibiting the practice; neither history nor tradition could save a law prohibiting miscegenation from constitutional attack.” 539 U.S. at 577-78 (quoting Bowers v. Hardwick, 478 U.S. 186, 216 (1986) (Stevens, J., dissenting)) (internal quotation marks omitted); see also id. at 601 (Scalia, J., dissenting) (“But ‘preserving the traditional institution of marriage’ is just a kinder way of describing the State’s moral disapproval of same-sex couples.”). Preserving the historical and traditional status quo is therefore not a compelling interest that justifies the Virginia Marriage Laws.
    Over and over and over again the courts tell us that mere moral disapproval isn't enough to uphold these kinds of laws. You'd think this would be obvious. You'd think the party of "small government" and "personal liberty" would agree with this principle. You'd think that party would say what they say about other issues of freedom "I don't approve of what you're doing but I'd die for your right to do it."

    But they don't.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  4. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Last Seen
    06-13-15 @ 10:52 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,460

    Re: Virginia falls! Courts deny ban on SSM

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    You must be a really young kiddie to think that it's "dinosaur like" bigotry to believe a marriage doesn't require one of each sex in order to be legitimate. There weren't any dinosaurs in the year 2001. Only in the last 14 years has the Oxymoron of homosexual marriage been practiced anywhere in the modern world. It's not that people don't want homosexuals to marry. It's that homosexuals don't seem interested in having sex with legitimate potential marriage partners.

    I suppose soon enough homosexuals will be playing husband and wife all across the nation, though. I don't know why but it seems that any society that encourages rampant homosexuality doesn't last long after that happens. When in Rome, huh? Now if we lower the age of sexual consent for boys to be molested by men, we'll be taking another glorious step down the path of Rome. First things first, though. Got to make the oxymoron of homosexual marriage the law of the land in all 50 states in order to argue that homosexuality is as normal as heterosexuality first. Priorities. Must have priorities.
    3262709-gagreel_full.jpg

  5. #15
    Sage
    Papa bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-25-15 @ 01:35 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,927

    Re: Virginia falls! Courts deny ban on SSM

    Quote Originally Posted by Ceist View Post
    Damn, that's gay.
    You can't reason anyone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into in the first place.

  6. #16
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,954

    Re: Virginia falls! Courts deny ban on SSM

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post

    I suppose soon enough homosexuals will be playing husband and wife all across the nation, though. I don't know why but it seems that any society that encourages rampant homosexuality doesn't last long after that happens. When in Rome, huh? Now if we lower the age of sexual consent for boys to be molested by men, we'll be taking another glorious step down the path of Rome. First things first, though. Got to make the oxymoron of homosexual marriage the law of the land in all 50 states in order to argue that homosexuality is as normal as heterosexuality first. Priorities. Must have priorities.
    Why, do you think that gays are going to multiply? Are you unaware of the gay couples AND families that already live together 'all across the nation?'

    But, do you think their numbers are just going to multiply like rabbits? How is homosexuality 'encouraged?' Either you are born gay or you are not. OF course anyone can participate in sex acts and straight men in prisons and straight couples often engage in those same sex activities. Doesnt make them gay.

    Speaking of dinosaurs (lol), you do know that someone is gay whether they ever have sex or not?

    It's odd that you bring in lowering the age of consent a) just for boys and b) at all. Are you suggesting that gays are pedophiles? That the engage in criminal behavior? And why only boys? Is it ok for lesbians to marry? Or you just dont see them as pedophiles? You have some very odd beliefs, I'd love to see them supported with sources before 'the sky falls!!!!'
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  7. #17
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,954

    Re: Virginia falls! Courts deny ban on SSM

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Fabulous View Post
    Even Barrack Obama was against SSM all up until just a few years ago so maybe these over-the-top characterizations are just a tad misplaced? The world is changing at a pace that some are having a difficult time keeping up with. Hating them for it is no better than them hating the change... and probably worse since the changes are supposedly rooted in tolerance and acceptance.
    Politically or personally?

    I have different stances on certain issues.

    On this issue however, I am politically for SSM but I would never marry a woman.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  8. #18
    Sage
    Papa bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-25-15 @ 01:35 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,927

    Re: Virginia falls! Courts deny ban on SSM

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    Why, do you think that gays are going to multiply? Are you unaware of the gay couples AND families that already live together 'all across the nation?'

    But, do you think their numbers are just going to multiply like rabbits? How is homosexuality 'encouraged?' Either you are born gay or you are not. OF course anyone can participate in sex acts and straight men in prisons and straight couples often engage in those same sex activities. Doesnt make them gay.

    Speaking of dinosaurs (lol), you do know that someone is gay whether they ever have sex or not?

    It's odd that you bring in lowering the age of consent a) just for boys and b) at all. Are you suggesting that gays are pedophiles? That the engage in criminal behavior? And why only boys? Is it ok for lesbians to marry? Or you just dont see them as pedophiles? You have some very odd beliefs, I'd love to see them supported with sources before 'the sky falls!!!!'
    The dirty little secret no one seems to be willing to talk about and every proponent of homosexuality will deny is that this fight isn't really about rights. It's about "normalization" of homosexuality. Asserting that homosexuality is just a normal lifestyle choice makes recruitment easier. Societies that sanction homosexuality end up with rampant homosexuality. I know many try to argue that homosexuality isn't a choice, but that argument is false because for many, if not all, it certainly is or was a choice. Moral decay is a pretty fast growing disease with some pretty serious consequences. This is just one more sign that the greatest days of this country are in our history already.
    You can't reason anyone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into in the first place.

  9. #19
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,954

    Re: Virginia falls! Courts deny ban on SSM

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    The dirty little secret no one seems to be willing to talk about and every proponent of homosexuality will deny is that this fight isn't really about rights. It's about "normalization" of homosexuality. Asserting that homosexuality is just a normal lifestyle choice makes recruitment easier. Societies that sanction homosexuality end up with rampant homosexuality. I know many try to argue that homosexuality isn't a choice, but that argument is false because for many, if not all, it certainly is or was a choice. Moral decay is a pretty fast growing disease with some pretty serious consequences. This is just one more sign that the greatest days of this country are in our history already.
    So you believe that gays want to 'turn' other people gay? Oh. My. God. That believes you think that people can 'be turned gay.' I think we're back to the dinosaurs.

    Also, can you please name a "society that sanctioned homosexuality that ended up with rampant homosexuality?" And it's not Rome, you've already had that explained to you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  10. #20
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Virginia falls! Courts deny ban on SSM

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    One more state challenge has been denied. Virginia is the next in the ever-shortening list of states where gays may not marry.

    Appeals court upholds decision overturning Virginia

    "A federal appeals court on Monday struck down Virginia’s voter-approved ban on same-sex marriage, saying that withholding the fundamental right to marry from gay couples is a new form of “segregation” that the Constitution cannot abide.

    The 2-to-1 decision by a panel of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 4th Circuit, based in Richmond, upheld a lower court’s decision and extended an extraordinary winning streak in the federal courts for proponents of same-sex marriage.

    "Legal challenges to state bans filed systematically nationwide have prevailed in every test since the Supreme Court in June 2013 struck down part of the federal Defense of Marriage Act, which defined marriage as only between a man and a woman."

    Two federal appeals courts have now said the bans are unconstitutional. The Supreme Court probably will have to make the final determination and could consider the issue as soon as next year."


    IMO, state governors and legislators should stop wasting their taxpayer money on challenging SSM....the handwriting has been on the wall for some time now.

    Where is Agent J? I need him to post an updated list
    They are not wasting money, they are doing their jobs defending the laws of their state. The ones wasting money are those crying for the judicial activism and making us pay to defend the same law over and over and over again for the last four decades. A very small percentage of this country have cost the people billions because they want to play house like the heteros.

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •