Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 175

Thread: Appeals court upholds decision overturning Virginia’s same-sex marriage ban

  1. #121
    Professor
    wolfsgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 09:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,140

    Re: Virginia falls! Courts deny ban on SSM

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Fabulous View Post
    I hear what you are saying and personally I don't really care if you're license says 'married" or "united". I was only talking about the concept and there are a lot of people out there that have a problem with two people of the same sex having their relationship being categorized, named, and referred to as, in same way as two people of the opposite sex.
    Did you not notice that states were passing laws against same sex civil unions? That alone shows me it isn't about "preserving marriage" to those people. It was about keeping same sex couples as second class citizens.
    " May you live as long as you wish, and love as long as you live"
    R.A. Heinlein

  2. #122
    Sage
    chromium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    A2
    Last Seen
    06-05-17 @ 10:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    16,968

    Re: Virginia falls! Courts deny ban on SSM

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    It's not that people don't want homosexuals to marry. It's that homosexuals don't seem interested in having sex with legitimate potential marriage partners.

    I suppose soon enough homosexuals will be playing husband and wife all across the nation, though. I don't know why but it seems that any society that encourages rampant homosexuality doesn't last long after that happens. When in Rome, huh?
    It's certainly not for you to decide what constitutes 'legitimate partner.' Go shed tears over britney's 24hr marriage or the 50% divorce rate. As for 'encouraging' homosexuality, we don't need your approval, at all. It's going to happen whether there's legal marriage or not, whether you encourage it or not.

    You only wish this country had the sustained dominance that Rome did, over 1000 years. Most powerful empire the world has ever known, tolerance of homosexuality waxed and waned over time, and this is what you come up with to support your 'cause'.

  3. #123
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    Re: Virginia falls! Courts deny ban on SSM

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    Well then stop fighting it since there are more pressing matters. The ****ing GOP is the one with anti-SSM in their PLATFORM. So maybe you should tell them to stop fighting it and move on to more pressing matters ok?

    Oh wait, that is because the GOP makes it a big ****ing deal each election instead of worry about other things. SSM is going to be legal it is inevitable so why do they waste time fighting it?
    Or maybe the US can just stop recognizing marriages altogether and let the sacrament of religion adhere to religion?

    That's the only FAIR way to tackle such social issue, considering Mariiage is NOT a civil right and it has NEVER been a civil right in any civilization that I'm familiar with.

    Governments have ALWAYS been at the forefront of this marriage debacle..... When the general consensus of popular votes have done it the democratic way the measure ALWAYS FAILS....

    Of course a libertarian would always come up with such a sane and FAIR outcome for all.

    Unions are by your church - not by a bunch of suits in the Beltway/NE/etc.. arguing existing nonsense bonding are or should be illegal on speculation.

    That sort of wording was NEVER in the Constitution NOR was it ever in the Bill of Rights....

    My opinions on the subject don't mater - what does are the words of our founding father, and how twisted and vague Constitution Amendments can twisted into anything they want and can ant can be .......

    The Federal and State goverments have played a much larger role in the gay and lesbian community than local communities have in the past.

    Now we can't use these vague words in the Constitution to validate homosexual marriage when those said words can validate juts about anything ...

    Besides in this day in age in 2014 it maybe abnormal to in gauge in a homosexual relationship, but at the same time hardly illegal.

    My only concern is that those relationships are not taken too far in public as an act of defiance.

    Yes as a libertarian a my political affiliation - I certain do not agree with their lifestyle -- however I am far as from accepting it just as long as they don't bother more.

  4. #124
    Sage
    poweRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    35,107

    Re: Virginia falls! Courts deny ban on SSM

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Rest assured, SCOTUS has already decided this in favor of marriage equality. It's hidden in the Windsor decision. Even Antonin Scalia acknowledged that in his dissent.
    scalia doesn't believe in precedence so he tends to rule however he may feel from one day to the next.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    The sad fact is that having a pedophile win is better than having a Democrat in office. I'm all for a solution where a Republican gets in that isn't Moore.

  5. #125
    Sage
    chromium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    A2
    Last Seen
    06-05-17 @ 10:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    16,968

    Re: Virginia falls! Courts deny ban on SSM

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    What I see is a Federal and some state government that are absolutely hypocritical in their laws....... The states and the federal government that founded this nation have turned in to absolute tyranny.

    Now if the federal government or even sates want to deal with this issue than they can amend the Constitution(s)..... Until then they can stop using vague clauses that could justify just about anything.....

    IMO, I hate this issue with a passion because it addresses a needless social issue in the middle of an economic hazard - save the social nonsense for after we get this economy back on track (which is difficult to do with Obama's anti-non-union private business vendetta.
    You're right, it's tyrannical of them to ban marriage equality. You might want to look up these definition before throwing out random words as if you're being oppressed because *others* can marry. Such hysteria makes anything else you say unappealing.

    I suppose you also think interracial marriage should be banned since the constitution doesn't clearly state otherwise. It's not the legislature that's dealing with this issue either, but the courts. They've ruled over and over that such bans are unconstitutional. No need to amend anything.

    Please, this is far easier to solve than poverty and in fact will be over and done with next year when SCOTUS rules. And easy for you to just say let's delay it inevitably when it's not your rights being denied. Considering that, again you have no credibility on this.

    Besides, this was being debated way back in the *good* economy. Ever heard of "DOMA"/clinton? The endless appeals of every single court's ruling are what's dragging this on, so go blame all the bigots out there.

  6. #126
    Sage
    chromium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    A2
    Last Seen
    06-05-17 @ 10:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    16,968

    Re: Virginia falls! Courts deny ban on SSM

    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    scalia doesn't believe in precedence so he tends to rule however he may feel from one day to the next.
    his vote will be irrelevant just as it was in windsor

  7. #127
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Virginia falls! Courts deny ban on SSM

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    Or maybe the US can just stop recognizing marriages altogether and let the sacrament of religion adhere to religion?
    I actually agree with you there. However, we BOTH know NEITHER side is going to concede marriage from the government. That's a fact. Therefore the only course of action for gays is to obtain that same right as they have been.

    There are religions that accept SSM so more power to them. I would love to see the government out of marriage, but it isn't going to happen. If I could ever vote on it I would vote to get government OUT of marriage altogether.

  8. #128
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    Re: Virginia falls! Courts deny ban on SSM

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    Well then stop fighting it since there are more pressing matters. The ****ing GOP is the one with anti-SSM in their PLATFORM. So maybe you should tell them to stop fighting it and move on to more pressing matters ok?

    Oh wait, that is because the GOP makes it a big ****ing deal each election instead of worry about other things. SSM is going to be legal it is inevitable so why do they waste time fighting it?
    Yeah, well. I would care less about who has sex with who, whowrer economics and geo-politics is by far a more complicated socioeconomic issue than gay marriage, And I would truly would love to talk about that over social issues - even on a global level or geographic level - here in the United State (where I thinking several of our economic ideas here in the sates have epic flaws when it government to regional standard of living.

    If you would like to start a thread on geo/regional economics even considering those in the sates I would love to debate.

  9. #129
    Sage
    poweRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    35,107

    Re: Virginia falls! Courts deny ban on SSM

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    Yeah, well. I would care less about who has sex with who,
    You don't care if I had sex with you?

    It's a brave new world out there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    The sad fact is that having a pedophile win is better than having a Democrat in office. I'm all for a solution where a Republican gets in that isn't Moore.

  10. #130
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,835

    Re: Virginia falls! Courts deny ban on SSM

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Fabulous View Post
    What were the facts that won?
    in early posts, denying this just further defeats your failed posts
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •