Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 175

Thread: Appeals court upholds decision overturning Virginia’s same-sex marriage ban

  1. #91
    Professor
    wolfsgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,140

    Re: Virginia falls! Courts deny ban on SSM

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Fabulous View Post
    I never said anything about a formal offer being extended federally. My only comment on the matter was that the CONCEPT of civil unions was rejected by the gay community. It was. If you're trying to say that it wasn't then maybe you could point me to some of the gay rights groups who supported it?

    Look, you and a couple of others here took issue with me stating that gay marriage was rooted in the desire for moral equivalency. I don't find anything profound or controversial at all about that statement. I even acknowledged that IF I were gay I'd probably be seeking the same thing. So what is the bid deal about saying it out loud? Am I wrong? Do gay couples really not give a **** about it?
    In order for something to be rejected, as you claimed, it would have to be offered. No federally recognized civil unions were ever offered, so they could not be rejected.

    I honestly don't give a flip what you think about my relationship. The opinion of others has no effect on my life, or my relationship. I am interested in having all of the same legal protections Married couples have. I am interested in not being denied access to my fiancee when she is in the hospital. I am interested in not having to pay estate taxes on our home if something happens to my fiancee, just like current spouses don't have to. I am interested in having our children be legally both of ours. you know those little day to day things that married couples don't have to deal with.
    " May you live as long as you wish, and love as long as you live"
    R.A. Heinlein

  2. #92
    Sage



    Jack Fabulous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    midwest
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    10,710
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Virginia falls! Courts deny ban on SSM

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfsgirl View Post
    In order for something to be rejected, as you claimed, it would have to be offered. No federally recognized civil unions were ever offered, so they could not be rejected.

    I honestly don't give a flip what you think about my relationship. The opinion of others has no effect on my life, or my relationship. I am interested in having all of the same legal protections Married couples have. I am interested in not being denied access to my fiancee when she is in the hospital. I am interested in not having to pay estate taxes on our home if something happens to my fiancee, just like current spouses don't have to. I am interested in having our children be legally both of ours. you know those little day to day things that married couples don't have to deal with.
    And I appreciate your honest response. I do.

    And just out of curiosity, what have I posted would give you any indication that I have the slightest concern about your relationship?

  3. #93
    Professor
    wolfsgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,140

    Re: Virginia falls! Courts deny ban on SSM

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Fabulous View Post
    And I appreciate your honest response. I do.

    And just out of curiosity, what have I posted would give you any indication that I have the slightest concern about your relationship?
    You are asking if the reason I want to get legally married is for acceptance. No, it's not. People can accept my marriage or not, it doesn't matter in the least, as long as I have the same legal protections as every other American citizen. That includes all of the legal protections that go along with marriage.
    " May you live as long as you wish, and love as long as you live"
    R.A. Heinlein

  4. #94
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,803

    Re: Virginia falls! Courts deny ban on SSM

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Fabulous View Post
    What part of civil unions was not equal? I am allowing for the possibility that I am not aware of all of the facts here, so fill me in if you don't mind.
    I dont mind giving people facts at all. and you are NOT aware of the facts whether you allow it or not.

    there are approx 1200 federal rights/protections that come with a marriage contract then there are the many state ones also.

    civil unions and domestic partnerships have NEVER nor COULD they ever be equal nor do they grant all the same things in one swoop.
    In fact some things cant be granted any other way but through marriage.

    Sorry this fact will never change
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  5. #95
    Sage



    Jack Fabulous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    midwest
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    10,710
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Virginia falls! Courts deny ban on SSM

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    I dont mind giving people facts at all. and you are NOT aware of the facts whether you allow it or not.

    there are approx 1200 federal rights/protections that come with a marriage contract then there are the many state ones also.

    civil unions and domestic partnerships have NEVER nor COULD they ever be equal nor do they grant all the same things in one swoop.
    In fact some things cant be granted any other way but through marriage.


    Sorry this fact will never change
    That sentence in bold seems like BS on the surface. Married couples get certain federal benefits based on marriage. The concept of civil unions gave the same benefits from what I understand. If they didn't, what was the difference?

  6. #96
    Professor
    wolfsgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,140

    Re: Virginia falls! Courts deny ban on SSM

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Fabulous View Post
    That sentence in bold seems like BS on the surface. Married couples get certain federal benefits based on marriage. The concept of civil unions gave the same benefits from what I understand. If they didn't, what was the difference?
    The difference is not one civil union is federally recognized, thus they do not receive those 1,100+ FEDERAL benefits and protections that come with marriage.

    What Is Marriage?
    Marriage is a legal status that is given to a couple by a state government. Regardless of where the marriage is issued, and subject to a few exceptions, it should be recognized by every state and nation around the world. Marriage is desirable because it has several unique rights, protections, and obligations at both the state and federal level for both spouses.

    What Is a Civil Union?
    A civil union is a legal status that provides many of the same protections as marriage does to both same-sex or heterosexual couples. However, these protections are only available at the state level. Federal protections such as tax and social security benefits are unavailable to the civilly united. States that have domestic partnership or civil union laws include Colorado, Hawaii, and Illinois.
    http://www.legalmatch.com/law-librar...il-unions.html
    " May you live as long as you wish, and love as long as you live"
    R.A. Heinlein

  7. #97
    Sage



    Jack Fabulous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    midwest
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    10,710
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Virginia falls! Courts deny ban on SSM

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfsgirl View Post
    You are asking if the reason I want to get legally married is for acceptance. No, it's not. People can accept my marriage or not, it doesn't matter in the least, as long as I have the same legal protections as every other American citizen. That includes all of the legal protections that go along with marriage.
    So in other words you just want to be viewed and treated the same as any other married couple?

  8. #98
    Professor
    wolfsgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,140

    Re: Virginia falls! Courts deny ban on SSM

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Fabulous View Post
    So in other words you just want to be viewed and treated the same as any other married couple?
    I want to be viewed and treated by the government the same as any other married couple, as dictated by the 14th amendment.
    " May you live as long as you wish, and love as long as you live"
    R.A. Heinlein

  9. #99
    Sage



    Jack Fabulous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    midwest
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    10,710
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Virginia falls! Courts deny ban on SSM

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfsgirl View Post
    The difference is not one civil union is federally recognized, thus they do not receive those 1,100+ FEDERAL benefits and protections that come with marriage.
    And that is a total cop out. Why would the federal government go through the hassle of creating a formal recognition of something that hadn't been created yet? Civil Unions was never anything more than a concept. A concept that was rejected. Why was the concept rejected? That's what I'm asking.

  10. #100
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,876

    Re: Virginia falls! Courts deny ban on SSM

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    Well impeaching a sitting president is almost impossible to impeach - the president would either have to be wihtout a reasonable doubt guilty of treason or commit other high crimes or misdemeanors...

    As much as I would like to see that pesedo-socialist/anti- capitalist impeached, from the information I have I just cant see that happening...Now I have no access to the classified information the House Committees possess, I would certainly hope they have enough evidence that proves without a reasonable doubt Obama was acting nefarious in is his position. As a person will little information other than that was leaked - I believe it would be better for the prosecutor to attack those close to Obama and have them "talk."

    Either way it would be an extremely bizarre case, and quite frankly I would certainly wait until he is a civilian to start knocking doors down.

    Obama is no better than a Madoff as far as I'm concerned that the government acts like a Ponzi Scheme , and potential RICO charge could be filed against all these clowns Invloved in this present administration.

    The best part is that if such a criminal indictment can be filed against Obama when he is out of office, his entire presidency goes up in smoke.

    However if those in Congress want to impeach Obama I would love to hear their legal briefs......
    ?????
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •