Page 4 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 306

Thread: Raven ray Rice suspended 2 games

  1. #31
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Gina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    31,927

    Re: Raven ray Rice suspended 2 games

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    In Canada, the victim of domestic violence has no right to withdraw or refuse to press charges against the person who assaulted her/him. I've never understood why this is not the case in the US.
    Neither do I. The woman in the first instance, was convinced it was her fault at first. Then the threats started and so she was fearful of filing charges because it would get her husband in trouble with his CO.
    I don't attack my constituents. Bob is my constituent now.
    This is the important stuff. We canít get lost in discrimination. We canít get lost in B.S. We canít get lost tearing each other down. I want to make a point here that no matter what you look like, where you come from, how you worship, who you love, how you identify, and yeah, how you run, that if you have good public policy ideas, if you are well qualified for office, bring those ideas to the table, because this is your America, too. This is our commonwealth of Virginia, too.
    Danica Roem - The nation's first openly transgender person elected to serve in a U.S. state legislature.

  2. #32
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,193

    Re: Raven ray Rice suspended 2 games

    Quote Originally Posted by The Man View Post
    Booooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    The Steelers will probably get a good bit of that at the Super Bowl this year since it's in Phoenix.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  3. #33
    Guru
    The Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    York, Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:24 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,732

    Raven ray Rice suspended 2 games

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    The Steelers will probably get a good bit of that at the Super Bowl this year since it's in Phoenix.
    Ppshhhh. Steelers aren't even good enough for the Fight Hunger Bowl, let alone the Super Bowl!

  4. #34
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Gina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    31,927

    Re: Raven ray Rice suspended 2 games

    Quote Originally Posted by The Man View Post
    In this case though, another factor enters in. Money. She may have the mindset that if she can ride it out, she will live in luxury. It's a shame no matter the reason.
    One cannot deny that possibility. Being wealthy, or potentially wealthy, does something to people. It is. I hope there are no further incidents. For her sake and their daughter's. It's a bad example and someday, she'll be able to Google daddy.
    I don't attack my constituents. Bob is my constituent now.
    This is the important stuff. We canít get lost in discrimination. We canít get lost in B.S. We canít get lost tearing each other down. I want to make a point here that no matter what you look like, where you come from, how you worship, who you love, how you identify, and yeah, how you run, that if you have good public policy ideas, if you are well qualified for office, bring those ideas to the table, because this is your America, too. This is our commonwealth of Virginia, too.
    Danica Roem - The nation's first openly transgender person elected to serve in a U.S. state legislature.

  5. #35
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,193

    Re: Raven ray Rice suspended 2 games

    Quote Originally Posted by Gina View Post
    Neither do I. The woman in the first instance, was convinced it was her fault at first. Then the threats started and so she was fearful of filing charges because it would get her husband in trouble with his CO.
    Taking it out of the woman's hands takes the pressure off her and also the blame when charges proceed or when the husband pleas out. In Canada, the guy knows he's got no way to talk himself out of charges unless the prosecutor believes his story.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  6. #36
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Gina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    31,927

    Re: Raven ray Rice suspended 2 games

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    Taking it out of the woman's hands takes the pressure off her and also the blame when charges proceed or when the husband pleas out. In Canada, the guy knows he's got no way to talk himself out of charges unless the prosecutor believes his story.
    Great system. Would that something like that could be managed here.

    Though I have the feeling there would be some objection to that.
    I don't attack my constituents. Bob is my constituent now.
    This is the important stuff. We canít get lost in discrimination. We canít get lost in B.S. We canít get lost tearing each other down. I want to make a point here that no matter what you look like, where you come from, how you worship, who you love, how you identify, and yeah, how you run, that if you have good public policy ideas, if you are well qualified for office, bring those ideas to the table, because this is your America, too. This is our commonwealth of Virginia, too.
    Danica Roem - The nation's first openly transgender person elected to serve in a U.S. state legislature.

  7. #37
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,193

    Re: Raven ray Rice suspended 2 games

    Quote Originally Posted by Gina View Post
    Great system. Would that something like that could be managed here.

    Though I have the feeling there would be some objection to that.
    I don't abide any sort of violence against anyone for any reason. If anyone in the US really wants to make a dent against the supposed war on women, this would be a great place to start. Someone's likely to make it a constitutional rights nightmare though, suggesting women have a right to be abused if they want to be.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  8. #38
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,705

    Re: Raven ray Rice suspended 2 games

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    In Canada, the victim of domestic violence has no right to withdraw or refuse to press charges against the person who assaulted her/him. I've never understood why this is not the case in the US.
    Some states are like this. The problem with the law is that in some cases it would prevent people from getting medical care where medical personnel are mandatory reporters (and thats the case in 37 states). I dont disagree with it...but it happens where the crime gets reported...the first time. Not the second. And the second is almost always worse than the first.

  9. #39
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,193

    Re: Raven ray Rice suspended 2 games

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    Some states are like this. The problem with the law is that in some cases it would prevent people from getting medical care where medical personnel are mandatory reporters (and thats the case in 37 states). I dont disagree with it...but it happens where the crime gets reported...the first time. Not the second. And the second is almost always worse than the first.
    I guess, if a woman is prepared to ignore "minor" injuries that don't require medical attention, then not much can be done - mandatory reporting does, however, give the woman an out in that she's not responsible for reporting/charging, she's only seeking care for her injuries. I know it's not realistic, but I'd hope every person physically abused would have the self respect to seek medical care whatever the consequences.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  10. #40
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,705

    Re: Raven ray Rice suspended 2 games

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    I guess, if a woman is prepared to ignore "minor" injuries that don't require medical attention, then not much can be done - mandatory reporting does, however, give the woman an out in that she's not responsible for reporting/charging, she's only seeking care for her injuries. I know it's not realistic, but I'd hope every person physically abused would have the self respect to seek medical care whatever the consequences.
    Yikes.

    ummmmm...I dont even want to touch that. But I suspect others will.

Page 4 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •