Page 20 of 31 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast
Results 191 to 200 of 306

Thread: Raven ray Rice suspended 2 games

  1. #191
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Raven ray Rice suspended 2 games

    Quote Originally Posted by Chaddelamancha View Post
    Tell that to Donte Stallworth. Or Josh Brent. Both of whom drove under the influence and killed a person. There was still room in the NFL for them.

    Ray Rice will most likely back next year with a team that won't care about the controversy.
    If he was younger, sure, but at his age and with his declining performance on the field I doubt it.

  2. #192
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    09-27-16 @ 12:59 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    5,189

    Re: Raven ray Rice suspended 2 games

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    How was he acting like a bully?
    I have always felt like a man who hits someone who is inferior with the force Rice did is a bully. Once when my mother was in her late 70's she attacked my wife with a telephone. Now, my wife could have taken that phone and beat my mother to death. Instead, my wife realized my mother was in the early stages of senility, was frail and therefore acted like a civilized person. She disarmed my mom and calmly took control of the situation.

    By comparison, a friend of mine had a neighbor woman attack him one morning while he was getting in his car to go to work. She had a 10 or 12 inch butcher knife in her hand. He knocked her out. In my opinion, he was not acting like a bully.

  3. #193
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,878

    Re: Raven ray Rice suspended 2 games

    Quote Originally Posted by DA60 View Post
    Additionally, what if the owner of the team AND the fans had no problem with something a player did (granted, it would probably not be this case)? What if they were prepared to forgive and forget OR they thought it was none of their business? They have no say but the league - who do not own the team - can arbitrarily state what a player can and cannot do.

    That is not the bottom line any longer - that is a moral issue.

    I mean, where does this end?

    Will the NFL eventually not allow it's players to go to certain bars? To gamble? To date women that have criminal records or who have 'iffy' backgrounds? To be involved with certain religions? To engage in S&M (or other unusual) sex with consenting adults? TO have political opinions that the majority of Americans do not agree with? The list could be endless.


    IMO, it should be none of the NFL League Office's business what a player does in his/her spare time. NONE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    Well, I'm not sure how a 'big corp' with a board of directors varies that much from a single business owner with respect to this issue, because I see them with the same concerns: the bottom line and the reputation of their business. It is a judgement call for them....which I think individuals and for something like this, also corps...reasonably have the ability & choice to make.
    .......

    Including boards of trustees, and those that are in the body that governs the organization (that the team must comply with) and must keep it's interests in mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  4. #194
    He's the most tip top
    Top Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,298

    Re: Raven ray Rice suspended 2 games

    Quote Originally Posted by NIMBY View Post

    That Super Bowl was last year and was a disaster for the NFL--setting it back several years.
    How so?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    You have no empirical evidence backing up your false assertion. You are simply conjecturing based on a whim...
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye10 View Post
    Or maybe "We now understand why women provoke men into hitting them".
    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    . Losing insurance does not mean losing healthcare. .

  5. #195
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where I am now
    Last Seen
    09-11-17 @ 03:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,386

    Re: Raven ray Rice suspended 2 games

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    Well, I'm not sure how a 'big corp' with a board of directors varies that much from a single business owner with respect to this issue, because I see them with the same concerns: the bottom line and the reputation of their business. It is a judgement call for them....which I think individuals and for something like this, also corps...reasonably have the ability & choice to make.
    My point is, let the fans decide through their wallets...not the league to decide based on some sort of moral belief system they have developed on their own.

    If the fans boycott games (or enough of them publicly threaten to) because of this Rice dickhead...then the owner should dump him (which apparently they did).

    But the NFL banned him before they even heard from the fans.

    Imo, it should be none of the league office's business to pass morality judgement on it's employees.

    I realize that legally the NFL was within it's mandate to do it...I just don't like it and think it is a dangerous slope.


    You disagree - fine.
    Last edited by DA60; 09-08-14 at 08:11 PM.

  6. #196
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,878

    Re: Raven ray Rice suspended 2 games

    Quote Originally Posted by DA60 View Post
    My point is, let the fans decide through their wallets...not the league to decide based on some sort of moral belief system they have developed on their own.

    If the fans boycott games (or enough of them publicly threaten to) because of this Rice dickhead...then the owner should dump him (which apparently they did).

    But the NFL banned him before they even heard from the fans.

    Imo, it should be none of the league office's business to pass morality judgement on it's employees.

    I realize that legally the NFL was within it's mandate to do it...I just don't like it and think it is a dangerous slope.
    Why wait for that? The damage could be done. The success of the organization...the League...is indeed their business.

    As is the judgement call/choice on the direction and reputation they want the teams in the league to uphold.

    Those decisions include entire TV networks and commercial sponsors. Waiting for fans that are disgusted with non-action could be very very damaging.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  7. #197
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where I am now
    Last Seen
    09-11-17 @ 03:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,386

    Re: Raven ray Rice suspended 2 games

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    Why wait for that? The damage could be done. The success of the organization...the League...is indeed their business.

    As is the judgement call/choice on the direction and reputation they want the teams in the league to uphold.

    Those decisions include entire TV networks and commercial sponsors. Waiting for fans that are disgusted with non-action could be very very damaging.

    I have already stated my case.

    You don't agree - fine.

    I doubt either of us is going to change the other's mind.

    What is the point in going on and on about it?

    I am done on this for now.


    Good day.

  8. #198
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Raven ray Rice suspended 2 games

    Quote Originally Posted by Texmex View Post
    I have always felt like a man who hits someone who is inferior with the force Rice did is a bully. Once when my mother was in her late 70's she attacked my wife with a telephone. Now, my wife could have taken that phone and beat my mother to death. Instead, my wife realized my mother was in the early stages of senility, was frail and therefore acted like a civilized person. She disarmed my mom and calmly took control of the situation.

    By comparison, a friend of mine had a neighbor woman attack him one morning while he was getting in his car to go to work. She had a 10 or 12 inch butcher knife in her hand. He knocked her out. In my opinion, he was not acting like a bully.
    Fair enough. My main argument in this thread is that the culture of "never hitting a woman" is short sighted and does more harm than good. I'm convinced that women are getting more aggressive and if men continue to do nothing but take it or restrain women that are getting aggressive the situation will only get worse. There is nothing wrong with defending yourself, and all this calculation people expect people to do is not at all realistic. Whatever though, I'm tired of this thread now.

  9. #199
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,600

    Re: Raven ray Rice suspended 2 games

    Quote Originally Posted by The Man View Post
    Why did the woman still marry him?
    For the $$$. See how long that marriage lasts after he gets booted from the NFL.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  10. #200
    He's the most tip top
    Top Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,298

    Re: Raven ray Rice suspended 2 games

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Fair enough. My main argument in this thread is that the culture of "never hitting a woman" is short sighted and does more harm than good. I'm convinced that women are getting more aggressive and if men continue to do nothing but take it or restrain women that are getting aggressive the situation will only get worse. There is nothing wrong with defending yourself, and all this calculation people expect people to do is not at all realistic. Whatever though, I'm tired of this thread now.
    First drunk driving is ok, and now you say knocking a woman out is ok.

    Quite the twisted place you live in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    You have no empirical evidence backing up your false assertion. You are simply conjecturing based on a whim...
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye10 View Post
    Or maybe "We now understand why women provoke men into hitting them".
    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    . Losing insurance does not mean losing healthcare. .

Page 20 of 31 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •