Page 36 of 42 FirstFirst ... 263435363738 ... LastLast
Results 351 to 360 of 412

Thread: POLL: one-third say Impeach Obama

  1. #351
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Last Seen
    03-03-17 @ 10:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,813

    Re: POLL: one-third say Impeach Obama

    Quote Originally Posted by shrubnose View Post
    Not going to happen, no matter how much some people on the right whine.
    Barack Obama will be living in the White House until another Democrat move in when he moves out in 2017.
    Wait and see.
    I only answered you because your math was wrong.

    Why do you like the tyrant and the party of tyranny?

  2. #352
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Last Seen
    03-03-17 @ 10:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,813

    Re: POLL: one-third say Impeach Obama

    Quote Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
    I was responding to Misterveritis, who proclaimed on the previous page, that my statement that unemployment is down under Obama is a lie. To disprove his lie I naturally needed to show the job growth only under Obama. As the graph clearly show, private sector jobs are higher now than when the President was inaugurated.

    However, if you have some other claim, you are free to post a graph making that point.
    And yet it was a lie. You clearly know it is a lie.

  3. #353
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Last Seen
    03-03-17 @ 10:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,813

    Re: POLL: one-third say Impeach Obama

    Quote Originally Posted by iacardsfan View Post
    I despise the administration as much as the next guy, but this shows the unintelligent of the American people. Even the GOP is not gunning to Impeach the President (granted they might not be because they know they don't have the numbers in the Senate). Impeachment as it is defined in the Constitution is to remove somebody from office as a result of committing a serious crime. The only crime that Obama has committed is implementing flawed policy. And don't give me this "he oversteps his Presidential boundaries" BS. While I agree that he has overstepped his boundaries, Obama has issued less Executive Orders than any President since before World War Two. Lastly, think of the alternative of impeaching Obama.....Joe Biden *shudder*
    I disagree with your interpretation.

    The question of impeachment turns on the meaning of the phrase in the Constitution at Art. II Sec. 4, "Treason, Bribery, or other high Crimes and Misdemeanors". I have carefully researched the origin of the phrase "high crimes and misdemeanors" and its meaning to the Framers, and found that the key to understanding it is the word "high". It does not mean "more serious". It refers to those punishable offenses that only apply to high persons, that is, to public officials, those who, because of their official status, are under special obligations that ordinary persons are not under, and which could not be meaningfully applied or justly punished if committed by ordinary persons.

    Impeachment is a political remedy to a political problem. He needs to be impeached. Boehner won't do it because Boehner is a very large part of the problem.

  4. #354
    Guru
    pinqy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    4,369

    Re: POLL: one-third say Impeach Obama

    Quote Originally Posted by bubbabgone View Post
    So essentially you're saying the unemployment rate is solid and truly reflects the job growth vis-a-vis the workforce.
    No, I'm saying the UE rate accurately reflects the percentage of those actually (not hypothetically) available for work who are not working.

    "A poll found that about half of unemployed workers say they have given up looking for a job.
    A Harris poll on behalf of Express Employment Professionals conducted last month found that 47% of such workers say they have "completely given up looking for work." The survey of 1,500 unemployed adult Americans also found that 82% of those who receive unemployment compensation say they would look harder for a job if those payments ran out. The other 18% agreed with the statement that they would be in such despair, they would give up looking for work altogether."
    I remember reading that poll, and I remember there were some issues with it, but I don't remember what those issues were. I'd have to look.
    Therefore, since the world has still/Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure/Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would,/And train for ill and not for good.

  5. #355
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Los Angeles area
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 01:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    9,868

    Re: POLL: one-third say Impeach Obama

    I don't know what the chances are of Obama being impeached. But people who claim there is not enough to impeach him for are just being silly. Representatives who dislike a president or other high U.S. official can impeach him without the sort of proof it would take to convict that person of a crime in a civil court. Impeachment is mainly a political action, not a criminal one--it has some of the character of a vote of no confidence in a parliamentary system.

    About all a president's enemies have to do is want him gone, and they can find the justification they need. Anyone who doubts that should read about the impeachment of Andrew Johnson, whose enemies cooked up a law purposely to trap him. Johnson survived conviction (and therefore removal) by a single vote. He and B.J. Clinton belong to a club so select they are the only two members.

    In Obama's case, his opponents wouldn't have to look very hard. Andy McCarthy, the man who led the prosecution of Muslim jihadists who conspired to blow up the World Trade Center in 1993, has laid out a detailed case for impeaching Obama. There are quite a few ways in which he has grossly violated the Constitution and otherwise abused his power--several times what would be needed for the House to draw up charges.

    That's not to say impeaching Obama would be wise politically, nor is McCarthy calling for that. But if Republicans gain a solid majority in the Senate, House Republicans will probably become more willing to impeach him. The simple majority needed is already there, but no action is likely until there is stronger political support in the Senate.

  6. #356
    Guru
    pinqy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    4,369

    Re: POLL: one-third say Impeach Obama

    Quote Originally Posted by Misterveritis View Post
    Why do you feel the need to lie?
    Unemployment is down because so many people without jobs are no longer counted as unemployed.
    We have experienced a slow moving coup. The deficit is down for a year or two and then it is projected to grow every year until the nation's collapse.
    This government has lied to you over and over and over yet you still believe...awesome. I will have whatever you are drinking.
    Welll, let's take a look.
    January 2009: Unemployed = 12,058,000 and Not in the Labor Force, Want a Job Now = 5,708,000
    Total not having but wanting job = 17,766,000

    July 2014 Unemployed = 9,671,000 and Not in the Labor Force, Want a Job Now = 6,259,000
    Total not having but wanting job = 15,930,000

    Keep in mind that of those Not in the Labor Force Want a Job Now, about half haven't looked in over a year (and so are unlikely to start looking soon), some couldn't take a job if offered, and of those remaining, most stopped looking for personal reasons, not labor market reasons, and while now available, haven't started looking again yet.
    Therefore, since the world has still/Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure/Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would,/And train for ill and not for good.

  7. #357
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Last Seen
    03-03-17 @ 10:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,813

    Re: POLL: one-third say Impeach Obama

    "Tyranny is usually thought of as cruel and oppressive, and it often is, but the original definition of the term was rule by persons who lack legitimacy, whether they be malign or benevolent. Historically, benign tyrannies have tended to be insecure, and to try to maintain their power by becoming increasingly oppressive. Therefore, rule that initially seems benign is inherently dangerous, and the only security is to maintain legitimacy an unbroken accountability to the people through the framework of a written constitution that provides for election of key officials and the division of powers among branches and officials in a way that avoids concentration of powers in the hands of a few persons who might then abuse those powers."

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    Notice the definition, cruel and oppressive. Yeah you're so oppressed you're posting on the internet. Seriously your comments show nothing but ignorance. In 2 more years you'll still be free so spare me your idiotic "tyranny" which you know NOTHING about.
    Did you notice the word "usually" that precedes "thought of"? That is there for your and other fellow travelers benefit.

    Did you notice any of the rest of the portion I quoted that gives the historical use of the term? Did you bother to go read the article?

    If you did read it I see no evidence that you understood it. You speak of knowing nothing and I agree that in this case the phrase suits you.

  8. #358
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Last Seen
    03-03-17 @ 10:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,813

    Re: POLL: one-third say Impeach Obama

    Quote Originally Posted by pinqy View Post
    Welll, let's take a look.
    January 2009: Unemployed = 12,058,000 and Not in the Labor Force, Want a Job Now = 5,708,000
    Total not having but wanting job = 17,766,000

    July 2014 Unemployed = 9,671,000 and Not in the Labor Force, Want a Job Now = 6,259,000
    Total not having but wanting job = 15,930,000

    Keep in mind that of those Not in the Labor Force Want a Job Now, about half haven't looked in over a year (and so are unlikely to start looking soon), some couldn't take a job if offered, and of those remaining, most stopped looking for personal reasons, not labor market reasons, and while now available, haven't started looking again yet.
    You have made an assumption that the number of people who should be working has remained static. It should be growing. The actual unemployment rate is probably between 10 and 13%. We make it easy for people to live off the productive. If we stop that then the true numbers will emerge.

    Why do you use the government's lies? I believe you know the truth.

  9. #359
    Professor
    iacardsfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Last Seen
    11-24-17 @ 09:51 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,981

    Re: POLL: one-third say Impeach Obama

    Quote Originally Posted by Misterveritis View Post
    I disagree with your interpretation.

    The question of impeachment turns on the meaning of the phrase in the Constitution at Art. II Sec. 4, "Treason, Bribery, or other high Crimes and Misdemeanors". I have carefully researched the origin of the phrase "high crimes and misdemeanors" and its meaning to the Framers, and found that the key to understanding it is the word "high". It does not mean "more serious". It refers to those punishable offenses that only apply to high persons, that is, to public officials, those who, because of their official status, are under special obligations that ordinary persons are not under, and which could not be meaningfully applied or justly punished if committed by ordinary persons.

    Impeachment is a political remedy to a political problem. He needs to be impeached. Boehner won't do it because Boehner is a very large part of the problem.
    Even with your bolded interpretation, it does not fit the Obama administration more than any other President since Grove Cleveland. Just because he has been a failure of a President does not mean we get to impeach him, when he has broken no law.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals."
    - Mark Twain
    Run your own nation, play Cybernations.

  10. #360
    Guru
    pinqy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    4,369

    Re: POLL: one-third say Impeach Obama

    Quote Originally Posted by Misterveritis View Post
    You have made an assumption that the number of people who should be working has remained static.
    Nope. I've made no assumptions about any "should." I have stated the facts. You claimed the reason the number of Unemployed was down was because of people no longer being counted. I showed that the total number of people who want a job but are not working is down. "Should be working" is purely speculative.

    It should be growing.
    We're not talking about "should," we're talking about "is." What you think should or should not be is irrelevant.

    The actual unemployment rate is probably between 10 and 13%.
    Define your terms and we'll see if we can back that up. Even if you included everyone who says they want a job (regardless of ability to accept or if they have demonstrated they actually want a job), the UE rate would be 9.8%. So you're close, but do people who haven't looked for work in over a year (not even asking friends or family for job leads) tell us anything about current labor market conditions? Do people who couldn't accept a job if offered tell us anything?

    We make it easy for people to live off the productive. If we stop that then the true numbers will emerge.
    They're not true numbers if they're hypothetical. It seems you want to include people who should want a job but don't as unemployed. That's a little strange.
    Therefore, since the world has still/Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure/Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would,/And train for ill and not for good.

Page 36 of 42 FirstFirst ... 263435363738 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •