Page 14 of 34 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 331

Thread: US and Islamic State: ‘We did see this coming’ [W:326]

  1. #131
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 11:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: US and Islamic State: ‘We did see this coming’

    Quote Originally Posted by bubbabgone View Post
    I think you may be coming around a bit.
    In this case it really comes down to a matter of degree.
    That wasn't too bad, it took you twelve posts to concede that you're a partisan, normally it takes a partisan twenty.
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

  2. #132
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: US and Islamic State: ‘We did see this coming’

    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    U.S. Troops Are Leaving Because Iraq Doesn't Want Them There!
    President Obama's speech formally declaring that the last 43,000 U.S. troops will leave Iraq by the end of the year was designed to mask an unpleasant truth: The troops aren't being withdrawn because the U.S. wants them out. They're leaving because the Iraqi government refused to let them stay.

    U.S. Troops Are Leaving Because Iraq Doesn't Want Them There - Yochi J. Dreazen - The Atlantic
    Apparently not. Obama: Iraq needs help as ISIS threatens to seize more cities - CNN.com

    Iraq has been asking for help for at least a year but the Fundraiser-In-Chief didn't want to get involved for political reasons. This will hurt the US, and the West, for years to come.

    An opinion piece by Dreazen means nothing.

  3. #133
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: US and Islamic State: ‘We did see this coming’

    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    Warmth toward Hamas
    Obama calls for cease-fire as Kerry announces aid to Gaza | MSNBC

  4. #134
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    01-17-16 @ 05:09 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,122

    Re: US and Islamic State: ‘We did see this coming’



    Q: Do you think the U.S., or U.N. forces, should have moved into Baghdad?

    Cheney: No.

    Q: Why not?

    Cheney: Because if we'd gone to Baghdad we would have been all alone. There wouldn't have been anybody else with us. There would have been a U.S. occupation of Iraq. None of the Arab forces that were willing to fight with us in Kuwait were willing to invade Iraq.

    Once you got to Iraq and took it over, took down Saddam Hussein's government, then what are you going to put in its place? That's a very volatile part of the world, and if you take down the central government of Iraq, you could very easily end up seeing pieces of Iraq fly off: part of it, the Syrians would like to have to the west, part of it -- eastern Iraq -- the Iranians would like to claim, they fought over it for eight years. In the north you've got the Kurds, and if the Kurds spin loose and join with the Kurds in Turkey, then you threaten the territorial integrity of Turkey.

    It's a quagmire if you go that far and try to take over Iraq.

    The other thing was casualties. Everyone was impressed with the fact we were able to do our job with as few casualties as we had. But for the 146 Americans killed in action, and for their families -- it wasn't a cheap war. And the question for the president, in terms of whether or not we went on to Baghdad, took additional casualties in an effort to get Saddam Hussein, was how many additional dead Americans is Saddam worth?

    Our judgment was, not very many, and I think we got it right.

    http://archive.redstate.com/stories/...raq_quagmire_0

  5. #135
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: US and Islamic State: ‘We did see this coming’

    Quote Originally Posted by Hard Truth View Post


    Q: Do you think the U.S., or U.N. forces, should have moved into Baghdad?

    Cheney: No.

    Q: Why not?

    Cheney: Because if we'd gone to Baghdad we would have been all alone. There wouldn't have been anybody else with us. There would have been a U.S. occupation of Iraq. None of the Arab forces that were willing to fight with us in Kuwait were willing to invade Iraq.

    Once you got to Iraq and took it over, took down Saddam Hussein's government, then what are you going to put in its place? That's a very volatile part of the world, and if you take down the central government of Iraq, you could very easily end up seeing pieces of Iraq fly off: part of it, the Syrians would like to have to the west, part of it -- eastern Iraq -- the Iranians would like to claim, they fought over it for eight years. In the north you've got the Kurds, and if the Kurds spin loose and join with the Kurds in Turkey, then you threaten the territorial integrity of Turkey.

    It's a quagmire if you go that far and try to take over Iraq.

    The other thing was casualties. Everyone was impressed with the fact we were able to do our job with as few casualties as we had. But for the 146 Americans killed in action, and for their families -- it wasn't a cheap war. And the question for the president, in terms of whether or not we went on to Baghdad, took additional casualties in an effort to get Saddam Hussein, was how many additional dead Americans is Saddam worth?

    Our judgment was, not very many, and I think we got it right.
    What applied in 1994 doesn't necessarily hold true 20 years later. This seems desperate.

  6. #136
    Sage
    poweRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    34,784

    Re: US and Islamic State: ‘We did see this coming’

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    What applied in 1994 doesn't necessarily hold true 20 years later. This seems desperate.
    well... what 1994 dick cheney said ended up happening when 2003 dick cheney toppled saddam so ... not so desperate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    The sad fact is that having a pedophile win is better than having a Democrat in office. I'm all for a solution where a Republican gets in that isn't Moore.

  7. #137
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: US and Islamic State: ‘We did see this coming’

    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    well... what 1994 dick cheney said ended up happening when 2003 dick cheney toppled saddam so ... not so desperate.
    Actually, no. The circumstances were quite different. History does not stand still.

    More info on the northern border you might like..Holiday Memories You'll Cherish Forever :: SteynOnline

  8. #138
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: US and Islamic State: ‘We did see this coming’

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    What applied in 1994 doesn't necessarily hold true 20 years later. This seems desperate.
    Actually it applied perfectly. The only change was American attitude after 9/11 but it didn't change the situation at hand and we are seeing EXACTLY what was foreseen in 94

  9. #139
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: US and Islamic State: ‘We did see this coming’

    Quote Originally Posted by shrubnose View Post
    Take a good look at the current situation in Iraq and tell us what the USA accomplished there with its huge expenditure of blood and money.

    Fill us in.
    Old arguments that won't change you mind are useless....I try these days not to have futile conversations with people not willing to have a civil open mind.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  10. #140
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 11:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: US and Islamic State: ‘We did see this coming’

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Apparently not. Obama: Iraq needs help as ISIS threatens to seize more cities - CNN.com

    Iraq has been asking for help for at least a year but the Fundraiser-In-Chief didn't want to get involved for political reasons. This will hurt the US, and the West, for years to come.

    An opinion piece by Dreazen means nothing.
    Except that that's just one posting of the well known account of Malaki's position. CFR has an extensive paper on it. But here's the thing, lol. This is Bush's quagmire. And Dreazen's opinion is superior to some Internet dude going by Grant.
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

Page 14 of 34 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •