Page 10 of 29 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 284

Thread: U.S. Considering Refugee Status for Hondurans

  1. #91
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    09-27-16 @ 12:59 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    5,189

    Re: U.S. Considering Refugee Status for Hondurans

    Quote Originally Posted by HogWash View Post
    For one thing the language of the countries. They need to remain where their native language is spoken. That in and of itself makes the South American countries a better place to send those people. Why don't you volunteer to take them in your European country of retreat? eh?
    I understand your frustration. Hispanics are coming into the U.S. in droves and there is nothing you can do to stop it. Your children will be minorities in their own country before long, and your grand-children may end up being the permanent underclass of their generation.

    My children, on the other hand, will enjoy their rich Mexican heritage while living in this wonderful land of yours. I'm sure there will be enough fast-food establishments for your lineage to work at while serving food to my lineage.

  2. #92
    Guru
    Lakryte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    06-02-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    2,982

    Re: U.S. Considering Refugee Status for Hondurans

    Quote Originally Posted by ludin View Post
    you don't make the rules here so you don't tell people what to do.
    you have failed to address the main point of the topic at hand there by committing your own fallacy.

    in any case we haven't committed this fallacy because the huffpo has a long history of liberal bias in it's reporting.
    the founder arianna huffington is a well known liberal. so there is no ad hominem or fallacy simple stating a fact.

    The fact is these kids are coming here because we refuse to enforce our immigration laws. this administration more than others have given them even more reason to come here by refusing to deport any kids brought here against their will or who have been in the US for so long.

    to solve this problem is simple. give them a warm meal give them a bed for a night and a plane ticket back home the next day.
    Refusing to refute the article for that reason is the definition of the genetic fallacy. Quite an obvious, text-book example actually.

    Would you like me to quote the most relevant points in the article which you apparently will never read for you? Or will you just ignore that as well?
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free."
    "When we live authentically we create an opportunity for others to walk out of their dark prisons of pretend into freedom."

  3. #93
    Educator HogWash's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Last Seen
    05-03-15 @ 12:47 AM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    997

    Re: U.S. Considering Refugee Status for Hondurans

    Quote Originally Posted by Texmex View Post
    I understand your frustration. Hispanics are coming into the U.S. in droves and there is nothing you can do to stop it. Your children will be minorities in their own country before long, and your grand-children may end up being the permanent underclass of their generation.

    My children, on the other hand, will enjoy their rich Mexican heritage while living in this wonderful land of yours. I'm sure there will be enough fast-food establishments for your lineage to work at while serving food to my lineage.
    Exactly...if you can get by the africans.
    Liberalismódividing up the EARNED wealth of honest, hard working and ingenious AMERICANS and giving it to the leeches who would rather waste their worthless lives living off the government teat.
    -----HogWash-----

  4. #94
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    11-28-17 @ 04:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    11,690

    Re: U.S. Considering Refugee Status for Hondurans

    With respect to the refugee issue, the appropriate conventions can be found at: UNHCR - Convention and Protocol Relating to the Status of Refugees

    One of the key documents used to define a refugee is the arrangement of February 10, 1938. That arrangement deals with people who were fleeing from Germany and has the greatest applicability to those fleeing Honduras.

    In part, that arrangement defines a refugee as "Persons possessing or having possessed German nationality and not possessing any other nationality who are proved not to enjoy, in law or in fact, the protection of the German Government."

    With respect to those in Honduras, a key test would involve whether the Honduran government is capable of protecting those persons from loss of life or freedom (parameters cited in Article 31 of the 1951 convention related to refugees. Article 31 states:

    The Contracting States shall not impose penalties, on account of their illegal entry or presence, on refugees who, coming directly from a territory where their life or freedom was threatened in the sense of article 1, enter or are present in their territory without authorization, provided they present themselves without delay to the authorities and show good cause for their illegal entry or presence.

    Article 1 cites the 1938 arrangement.

    The Hondurans would be entitled to due process to demonstrate whether or not they meet the requirements of obtaining refugee status. The possible U.S. proposal would provide screening to determine such status.

    From The New York Times:

    If approved, the plan would direct the government to screen thousands of children and youths in Honduras to see if they can enter the United States as refugees or on emergency humanitarian grounds. It would be the first American refugee effort in a nation reachable by land to the United States, the White House said, putting the violence in Honduras on the level of humanitarian emergencies in Haiti and Vietnam, where such programs have been conducted in the past amid war and major crises.

    http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/25/wo...honduras-.html

    In short, the U.S. appears to be acting consistent with the conventions to which it has agreed. Similar obligations exist among the other countries that have also entered those conventions. That this complicates the ongoing passionate immigration debate in the U.S. is a different matter.

    Finally, there are no guarantees that every person screened will be designated as a refugee. The merits of their situation will likely determine the outcome.
    Last edited by donsutherland1; 07-26-14 at 12:06 AM.

  5. #95
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,851
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: U.S. Considering Refugee Status for Hondurans

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    Why don't you share those laws with us? Fill us in.



    Look'em up.

    A good place to start is Wikipedia.

  6. #96
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,851
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: U.S. Considering Refugee Status for Hondurans

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    Why? If you don't know that already you won't believe anything I say.
    The fact of the matter is people WANT to come here, they don't want to go there.





    People usually don't go where they don't want to go.

    If the USA would spend some money on effective, fair control of its borders it could save some of the money that it spends sending people back to their homes.

  7. #97
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    37,078

    Re: U.S. Considering Refugee Status for Hondurans

    U.S. Considering Refugee Status for Hondurans
    i'm good with it. let the kiddos stay.

  8. #98
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 11:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: U.S. Considering Refugee Status for Hondurans

    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaPaul View Post
    Yet, you decline to rearticulate it. Is there a reason why?
    You already said you didn't care so go take a nap.
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

  9. #99
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 11:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: U.S. Considering Refugee Status for Hondurans

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    At least try to think it out a bit. If they were solely running from the violence, there are plenty of places closer and less expensive to get to that do not have the violence.
    Stop it CB, just because you and I disagree doesn't mean I have failed to think about anything. Why do you insist on us not helping in a problem that we helped create?
    Last edited by Montecresto; 07-26-14 at 02:53 AM.
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

  10. #100
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 11:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: U.S. Considering Refugee Status for Hondurans

    Quote Originally Posted by ludin View Post
    Then post the main source and leave the bias huffpo out of it and depending on who wrote it i might look at it.

    as i said the only blame the US incurs is not enforcing our immigration laws. if we would have enforced our immigration laws then they would realize that coming here is useless.
    You don't know **** about US policy in Latin America.
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

Page 10 of 29 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •