Page 35 of 38 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 ... LastLast
Results 341 to 350 of 378

Thread: Inmate Dies 2 Hours After Execution in Arizona

  1. #341
    Sage

    Scrabaholic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    11,549

    Re: Inmate Dies 2 Hours After Execution in Arizona

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    That's the best you can do? Clearly, you are incapable of refuting my points.
    What points?


    Let's not pretend that the death penalty is about the person killing again. It's about vengeance.

    It is about just punishment and protection of society.



    In defense, sure. Killing a helpless harmless captive is not defense.
    lmao @ helpless harmless.

  2. #342
    Sage

    Scrabaholic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    11,549

    Re: Inmate Dies 2 Hours After Execution in Arizona

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Escape from high level security prison is unlikely and the death penalty does nothing to shore up that probability. There is a lot of violence in prison, but the death penalty does nothing to affect those probabilities either. Additionally, there are various prison reforms we could j itiate that would have a much greater affect on those overall probabilities.

    So again, not much is gained from having this expensive, archaic, dangerous, and unnecessary form of punishment.
    You might want to google 'murderers who have escaped prison to kill again'.

  3. #343
    Educator idea_steed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Last Seen
    10-08-16 @ 01:06 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    932

    Re: Inmate Dies 2 Hours After Execution in Arizona

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    Frankly, they should just execute him like he executed the two people he killed. They'll get the drug combinations right and all will be well.

    I loved the first sentence though... "prompting his lawyers to request an emergency halt to the procedure." Or what... he'll die?
    how could anyone halt the procedure if he had already taken the drugs?
    Passion and Patience

  4. #344
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Inmate Dies 2 Hours After Execution in Arizona

    Quote Originally Posted by idea_steed View Post
    how could anyone halt the procedure if he had already taken the drugs?
    Good question!
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  5. #345
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Inmate Dies 2 Hours After Execution in Arizona

    Quote Originally Posted by Scrabaholic View Post
    You might want to google 'murderers who have escaped prison to kill again'.
    And I bet that's a small fraction of the overall stats and becoming increasingly unlikely from maximum security facilities.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  6. #346
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: Inmate Dies 2 Hours After Execution in Arizona

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    And I bet that's a small fraction of the overall stats and becoming increasingly unlikely from maximum security facilities.
    And yet the fact is that the only way to assure these animals never kill/rape/whatever again is to kill them. Isn't the truth something?

  7. #347
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Inmate Dies 2 Hours After Execution in Arizona

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    And yet the fact is that the only way to assure these animals never kill/rape/whatever again is to kill them. Isn't the truth something?
    They are human beings, first off. I know, dehumanizing the enemy is a common tactic so that we don't feel bad about killing; but we need to recognize and accept our own actions. Humans, that's who you are killing. The death penalty consumes innocent life as well, it's a method through which the government can legally kill its own citizens, it's ridiculously expensive (more so than housing an inmate for life), offers no further protections to society at large.

    Violence in prisons doesn't immediately equate to killing inmates. There are other ways to deal with the problems more effectively, to actually decrease those numbers and incidents, than anything the DP can offer. It's not even a solution, it just makes problems.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  8. #348
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: Inmate Dies 2 Hours After Execution in Arizona

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    They are human beings, first off. I know, dehumanizing the enemy is a common tactic so that we don't feel bad about killing; but we need to recognize and accept our own actions. Humans, that's who you are killing. The death penalty consumes innocent life as well, it's a method through which the government can legally kill its own citizens, it's ridiculously expensive (more so than housing an inmate for life), offers no further protections to society at large.

    Violence in prisons doesn't immediately equate to killing inmates. There are other ways to deal with the problems more effectively, to actually decrease those numbers and incidents, than anything the DP can offer. It's not even a solution, it just makes problems.
    This isn't a confused teenage foreign combatant, its a monster who was convicted to the highest standard of the law, but you are right-they ARE people (at least in form) so treat them well until we put a bullet through their heads.

  9. #349
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: Inmate Dies 2 Hours After Execution in Arizona

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    They are human beings, first off. I know, dehumanizing the enemy is a common tactic so that we don't feel bad about killing; but we need to recognize and accept our own actions. Humans, that's who you are killing. The death penalty consumes innocent life as well, it's a method through which the government can legally kill its own citizens, it's ridiculously expensive (more so than housing an inmate for life), offers no further protections to society at large.

    Violence in prisons doesn't immediately equate to killing inmates. There are other ways to deal with the problems more effectively, to actually decrease those numbers and incidents, than anything the DP can offer. It's not even a solution, it just makes problems.
    I think you should stand in front of their victims families and say that stupid crap. If anything we should speed up the process to lower the costs, and be more humane.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  10. #350
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Inmate Dies 2 Hours After Execution in Arizona

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    I think you should stand in front of their victims families and say that stupid crap. If anything we should speed up the process to lower the costs, and be more humane.
    Why is it that so many DP supoorters turn so quickly to emotional arguments? Speeding it up will only exacerbate the problems and lead to more innocents being killed by the State. I'm not so much fueled by revenge to suggest we kill innocent people to get to that one guy over there who we really want to kill. There's no advantage nor purpose to the death penalty any longer.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

Page 35 of 38 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •