Page 27 of 38 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast
Results 261 to 270 of 378

Thread: Inmate Dies 2 Hours After Execution in Arizona

  1. #261
    ThunderCougarFalconBird
    roughdraft274's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,759

    Re: Inmate Dies 2 Hours After Execution in Arizona

    Quote Originally Posted by DVSentinel View Post
    Right. The 12 people on the jury were all Government officials?
    No, but the judge, who decides what evidence is admissible, and instructs the jury on whether or not they can consider certain details etc. is. And regardless, 12 jurors aren't perfect. They make mistakes because they have to base their decisions on not always perfect information.
    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    uh that is so small as to be stupid. Do you want registration? given less than 3% of criminals get their guns from private sales, its pretty much a waste of resources
    **Thirty Minutes Later**
    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    you are confused. I never denied that many criminals get guns in private sales.

  2. #262
    Sage

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    In a Blue State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    5,103

    Re: Inmate Dies 2 Hours After Execution in Arizona

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    Read more @: Arizona Inmate Joseph Wood Dies 2 Hours After Execution in Arizona - ABC News

    Another botched execution. 2 hours to die. That is cruel and unusual. The death penalty needs to go. [/FONT][/COLOR]
    Not to go all hippie on you, but he was probably dying on death row. I can't imagine the feeling of waiting for someone to come get you to lead you to your death. Knowing it can come at almost anytime. Scary.

    Killing the criminal does not rehabilitate them, does not undo the wrong and does not save money for the government or taxpayers. It doesn't make sense.
    We went from sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me to safe spaces.

  3. #263
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    57,886

    Re: Inmate Dies 2 Hours After Execution in Arizona

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    The death penalty does not provide the aggregate society with any additional benefit. There is no real reason to keep it.
    Except to remove evil bastards from the planet as a just penalty for horrendous criminal action.

  4. #264
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    57,886

    Re: Inmate Dies 2 Hours After Execution in Arizona

    Quote Originally Posted by joG View Post
    Switzerland banned the death penalty.
    We should send them some of our mejicans. Win, win win.

  5. #265
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    55,502

    Re: Inmate Dies 2 Hours After Execution in Arizona

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    Except to remove evil bastards from the planet as a just penalty for horrendous criminal action.
    Assuming the one you kill is actually guilty of the crime you claim. Which is a big if. Due to the lack of perfect knowledge, the death penalty innately consumes innocent life. So if your desire for revenge is so great that you're willing to kill innocents to get to them, so be it. But mine is not. I'd rather constrain government to proper levels.

    The death penalty is more expensive than life in prison without offering any further benefit or safety to society on whole. It consumes innocent life and is no longer necessary. There are not many logical or rational reasons to keep it, certainly none that have been presented here.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  6. #266
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    57,886

    Re: Inmate Dies 2 Hours After Execution in Arizona

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Assuming the one you kill is actually guilty of the crime you claim. Which is a big if. Due to the lack of perfect knowledge, the death penalty innately consumes innocent life. So if your desire for revenge is so great that you're willing to kill innocents to get to them, so be it. But mine is not. I'd rather constrain government to proper levels.

    The death penalty is more expensive than life in prison without offering any further benefit or safety to society on whole. It consumes innocent life and is no longer necessary. There are not many logical or rational reasons to keep it, certainly none that have been presented here.
    Now where did I put anything on there about desiring revenge. In point of fact i have SPECIFICALLY and on several occasions stated revenge is NOT a justifiable or even a healthy reason for the death penalty.

    As to those executed...I believe it should only be used in those cases where there is an absolute undeniable certainty regarding guilt...not even 'beyond reasonable doubt'.

    There are a few problems with keeping murderers alive for life. One...the people that actually pretend to give a **** about them will forget all about them and those poor innocent souls will just disappear without a care.Two...keeping murderers alive puts others at risk, whether it be inmates or guards (throw in the risk of escapes and further crimes).

    Its funny how people find the death penalty inhumane, but those same people are fully satisfied keeping them alive locked in a box for the rest of their life. Cuz...THATS humane...

  7. #267
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    55,502

    Re: Inmate Dies 2 Hours After Execution in Arizona

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    Now where did I put anything on there about desiring revenge. In point of fact i have SPECIFICALLY and on several occasions stated revenge is NOT a justifiable or even a healthy reason for the death penalty.

    As to those executed...I believe it should only be used in those cases where there is an absolute undeniable certainty regarding guilt...not even 'beyond reasonable doubt'.

    There are a few problems with keeping murderers alive for life. One...the people that actually pretend to give a **** about them will forget all about them and those poor innocent souls will just disappear without a care.Two...keeping murderers alive puts others at risk, whether it be inmates or guards (throw in the risk of escapes and further crimes).

    Its funny how people find the death penalty inhumane, but those same people are fully satisfied keeping them alive locked in a box for the rest of their life. Cuz...THATS humane...
    It's government force used against free exercise of right enacted through due process. I find that you have a common tactic of making emotional arguments and assumptions of other's ideals and thoughts thinking, incorrectly, that emotion, assumption, and hyperbole make a better argument.

    The death penalty is unnecessary and the government does not need another method through which it can kill its own citzens. Prison dangers and population is another aspect of our current system that needs reform. But merely because other parts are broken does not mean that killing is the answer. The DP is dangerous, expensive, amoral, archaic, unnecessary, and provides no additional safety or security to society. That's the end all of it.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  8. #268
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    57,886

    Re: Inmate Dies 2 Hours After Execution in Arizona

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    It's government force used against free exercise of right enacted through due process. I find that you have a common tactic of making emotional arguments and assumptions of other's ideals and thoughts thinking, incorrectly, that emotion, assumption, and hyperbole make a better argument.

    The death penalty is unnecessary and the government does not need another method through which it can kill its own citzens. Prison dangers and population is another aspect of our current system that needs reform. But merely because other parts are broken does not mean that killing is the answer. The DP is dangerous, expensive, amoral, archaic, unnecessary, and provides no additional safety or security to society. That's the end all of it.
    Your first line is comical beyond words coming from the guy that started his commentary with
    "So if your desire for revenge is so great that you're willing to kill innocents to get to them, so be it."

    No...I have said on numerous occasions that vengeance, rage, all associated emotional responses are not adequate justification for the death penalty. IMO, an individual that willingly rapes a 13 year old kid and then bashes her head in with a rock has created their own justification. People that shoot family members, then take the surviving person into the woods, rape them, shoot them, assault them some more, and then let them die an agonizing death create their own justification. People that...well...you get the point. The simple fact is that there are people that deserve by their own actions to no longer exist in any capacity. Period.

    And again...its really funny how you feel your moral and principled stand on humane acts end as soon as you stuff someone in a box. Out of sight, out of mind, right? **** em.

  9. #269
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    55,502

    Re: Inmate Dies 2 Hours After Execution in Arizona

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    Your first line is comical beyond words coming from the guy that started his commentary with
    "So if your desire for revenge is so great that you're willing to kill innocents to get to them, so be it."

    No...I have said on numerous occasions that vengeance, rage, all associated emotional responses are not adequate justification for the death penalty. IMO, an individual that willingly rapes a 13 year old kid and then bashes her head in with a rock has created their own justification. People that shoot family members, then take the surviving person into the woods, rape them, shoot them, assault them some more, and then let them die an agonizing death create their own justification. People that...well...you get the point. The simple fact is that there are people that deserve by their own actions to no longer exist in any capacity. Period.

    And again...its really funny how you feel your moral and principled stand on humane acts end as soon as you stuff someone in a box. Out of sight, out of mind, right? **** em.
    Again, your arguments have devolved into emotional ad Homs. Those do not strengthen an argument.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  10. #270
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    57,886

    Re: Inmate Dies 2 Hours After Execution in Arizona

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Again, your arguments have devolved into emotional ad Homs. Those do not strengthen an argument.
    Says the guy that.......

Page 27 of 38 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •