Page 15 of 38 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 378

Thread: Inmate Dies 2 Hours After Execution in Arizona

  1. #141
    Sage
    poweRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    34,855

    Re: Inmate Dies 2 Hours After Execution in Arizona

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    gruesome

    shoot em in the back of the head then!
    Read this from the same link:

    Many Historical Accounts:

    The guillotine was invented as a humane and painless method of execution, one that brought an instant death: could the inventors have been wrong? Plenty of anecdotes have been used by all sides, many of them dating from the French Revolution, one of the guillotine's most prolific periods. Scientists who asked their students to watch and record how many times they blinked (the scientists themselves being guillotined), murderers who tried to speak, and rivals who bit each other while their heads were in a bag; all have been cited at some point. One famous tale concerns Charlotte Corday, the killer of Marat, whose cheek supposedly reddened after the executioner slapped it even though, at that point, she was just a severed head being held up to the crowd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    The sad fact is that having a pedophile win is better than having a Democrat in office. I'm all for a solution where a Republican gets in that isn't Moore.

  2. #142
    Sage
    poweRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    34,855

    Re: Inmate Dies 2 Hours After Execution in Arizona

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Fabulous View Post
    But it IS an emotional appeal of denouncing the process.
    No. It's a constitutional argument about the Eighth Amendment and what is and isn't the government's duty. Nothing emotional about that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    The sad fact is that having a pedophile win is better than having a Democrat in office. I'm all for a solution where a Republican gets in that isn't Moore.

  3. #143
    Sage
    SheWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,470

    Re: Inmate Dies 2 Hours After Execution in Arizona

    I don't know what his crime was, but because of his botched execution, he will be more famous for how he died as opposed to what did to get the death penalty. This entire mess is creating empathy for a guy you claim doesn't deserve to live. That is a problem for you, regardless if you recognize it as such.


    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    The guillotine worked every time.

    That said, this wasn't cruel and unusual punishment. It was a mistake of approved method without intent.

    Also, this was a meth head who murdered two people in cold blood. That he suffered for a whole two hours before shuffling off is not enough to trip the meter.

  4. #144
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,034

    Re: Inmate Dies 2 Hours After Execution in Arizona

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    How do you know he didn't? See, we shouldn't have these questions. Most likely, he did suffer, and it is just plain wrong. The state of Arizona violated the constitution, and they should be ashamed of themselves. It doesn't matter what he did, it does however matter what we do, and killing people with untested drugs is just wrong.
    It doesn't?

    I'll bet it mattered to the 2 people he killed, and their friends, and their families.

  5. #145
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 04:24 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,721

    Re: Inmate Dies 2 Hours After Execution in Arizona

    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    I don't see emotional appeals for the killer. But as soon as you speak against the death penalty those for the DP immediately go for the appeal to emotion of "what about the victims of his crime?" While it is the reason why the person is getting executed, it is really a rather large non sequitur that has nothing to do with the conversation about the death penalty... aside from using the government to seek out revenge... another emotional appeal.
    Yep, you all are actually pretty consistent on the "victim is irrelevant and doesn't matter" mantra. I'm just incapable of blowing them off like that. Still, I really don't want to discourage you from believing that laws should never be based on emotion. The whole notion of "economic" or "social" justice is one big appeal to emotion. I'm glad you oppose all that.
    Last edited by X Factor; 07-24-14 at 12:11 AM.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.
    Mahatma Gandhi


  6. #146
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 04:24 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,721

    Re: Inmate Dies 2 Hours After Execution in Arizona

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    It doesn't?

    I'll bet it mattered to the 2 people he killed, and their friends, and their families.
    They don't matter either.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.
    Mahatma Gandhi


  7. #147
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 04:24 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,721

    Re: Inmate Dies 2 Hours After Execution in Arizona

    Quote Originally Posted by SheWolf View Post
    I don't know what his crime was, but because of his botched execution, he will be more famous for how he died as opposed to what did to get the death penalty. This entire mess is creating empathy for a guy you claim doesn't deserve to live. That is a problem for you, regardless if you recognize it as such.
    It'll only "create empathy" for those already pre-disposed to have empathy for him. The rest of us are like, "meh". We view him as being on death row due to his own actions. Personal responsibility and all that other stuff that I know is complete gobbledygook to some.
    Last edited by X Factor; 07-24-14 at 12:14 AM.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.
    Mahatma Gandhi


  8. #148
    Sage
    poweRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    34,855

    Re: Inmate Dies 2 Hours After Execution in Arizona

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    Yep, you all are actually pretty consistent on the "victim is irrelevant and doesn't matter" mantra. I'm just incapable of blowing them off like that. Still, I really don't want to discourage you from believing that laws should never be based on emotion. The whole notion of "economic" or "social" justice is one big appeal to emotion. I'm glad you oppose all that.
    I won't argue that liberals do appeals to emotion but on this topic and many others... emotion is the right's domain. economic and social justice is often sold with emotion but it's not solely emotion. It's also a version of seeking economic stability as a nation. I know the right doesn't believe it but it is at the root of the left's argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    The sad fact is that having a pedophile win is better than having a Democrat in office. I'm all for a solution where a Republican gets in that isn't Moore.

  9. #149
    Sage
    poweRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    34,855

    Re: Inmate Dies 2 Hours After Execution in Arizona

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    It doesn't?

    I'll bet it mattered to the 2 people he killed, and their friends, and their families.
    See X Factor? appeal to emotion with a non sequitur.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    The sad fact is that having a pedophile win is better than having a Democrat in office. I'm all for a solution where a Republican gets in that isn't Moore.

  10. #150
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,851
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Inmate Dies 2 Hours After Execution in Arizona

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    Read more @: Arizona Inmate Joseph Wood Dies 2 Hours After Execution in Arizona - ABC News

    Another botched execution. 2 hours to die. That is cruel and unusual.
    The death penalty needs to go.
    [/FONT][/COLOR]



    Any state that continues to have a death penalty needs to do a lot better job than was done in this case.

Page 15 of 38 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •