Page 32 of 37 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast
Results 311 to 320 of 366

Thread: Federal Court rules Most obamacare subsidies Illegal[W:286]

  1. #311
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    USA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    9,812

    Re: Federal Court rules Most obamacare subsidies Illegal[W:286]

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    Their conclusion has no legal force. It is not enforceable. Subsidies are still being given out on all exchanges.
    Of course it has legal force. It was simply stayed during appeal.. Which is the proper action of the judges considering the situation.

  2. #312
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Federal Court rules Most obamacare subsidies Illegal[W:286]

    Quote Originally Posted by buck View Post
    Again showing your lack of reading comprehension. Allow me to assist you:



    Ready to admit you have reading comprehension problems yet? Or maybe that you lied? Either will be sufficient.
    Quote Originally Posted by buck View Post
    Of course it has legal force. It was simply stayed during appeal.. Which is the proper action of the judges considering the situation.
    it has no legal force
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  3. #313
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    USA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    9,812

    Re: Federal Court rules Most obamacare subsidies Illegal[W:286]

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    it has no legal force
    Of course it does. Regardless, it shows that the lawsuit did have a chance in the courts. Again, despite the claims that it wouldn't.

    And I like how you accuse me of lying, only to ignore the facts that show what is really occurring.
    Last edited by buck; 07-28-14 at 08:38 AM.

  4. #314
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: Federal Court rules Most obamacare subsidies Illegal[W:286]

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    It is the intent of Congress that matters
    I know that is the argument, but the problem is that they didn't spell it out in the law. As far as I know when a court takes a look at the law, they rely heavily on the actual wording of the law to consider intent, or spirit. Although I can see what you are talking about concerning this, to be accurate, what they tried to do was to make it painful for any state to not set up an exchange, by withholding subsidies from the states citizenry if they didn't. The thought behind this was IMHO, that those republican states like my own SC, would experience a backlash from the citizens at the ballot box by blaming the extreme costs on those republican gov's, and legislatures...What they didn't count on was that they were not too bright in crafting the law, and left it open to a strict interpretation that just might be one of the lynch pins that undermines the entire law and collapses it.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  5. #315
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    21,730

    Re: Federal Court rules Most obamacare subsidies Illegal[W:286]

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    I know that is the argument, but the problem is that they didn't spell it out in the law. As far as I know when a court takes a look at the law, they rely heavily on the actual wording of the law to consider intent, or spirit. Although I can see what you are talking about concerning this, to be accurate, what they tried to do was to make it painful for any state to not set up an exchange, by withholding subsidies from the states citizenry if they didn't. The thought behind this was IMHO, that those republican states like my own SC, would experience a backlash from the citizens at the ballot box by blaming the extreme costs on those republican gov's, and legislatures...What they didn't count on was that they were not too bright in crafting the law, and left it open to a strict interpretation that just might be one of the lynch pins that undermines the entire law and collapses it.
    The problem is there is no evidence any state recognized that failing to set up their own exchange would cause this 'pain' that none of their residents would qualify for subsidies.

  6. #316
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Federal Court rules Most obamacare subsidies Illegal[W:286]

    Quote Originally Posted by buck View Post
    Of course it does.
    Of course it doesn't.

    Thats why all the exchanges are still handing out subsidies
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  7. #317
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Federal Court rules Most obamacare subsidies Illegal[W:286]

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    I know that is the argument,
    It's not an argument; It's a fact

    Only the intent of Congress matters

    but the problem is that they didn't spell it out in the law. As far as I know when a court takes a look at the law, they rely heavily on the actual wording of the law to consider intent, or spirit. Although I can see what you are talking about concerning this, to be accurate, what they tried to do was to make it painful for any state to not set up an exchange, by withholding subsidies from the states citizenry if they didn't. The thought behind this was IMHO, that those republican states like my own SC, would experience a backlash from the citizens at the ballot box by blaming the extreme costs on those republican gov's, and legislatures...What they didn't count on was that they were not too bright in crafting the law, and left it open to a strict interpretation that just might be one of the lynch pins that undermines the entire law and collapses it.
    Wrong. The law says when there's any ambiguity, the IRS can interpret the law. Your belief that there is a way to render a "strict interpretation" is contradicted by the fact that even you admit that there's ambiguity
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  8. #318
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    USA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    9,812

    Re: Federal Court rules Most obamacare subsidies Illegal[W:286]

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    Of course it doesn't.

    Thats why all the exchanges are still handing out subsidies
    The court ruled against it and stayed their decision until further appeal. That doesn't mean that the court didn't rule against it. It doesn't mean that a court didn't make a decision. it also doesn't mean that they are not a court. Despite the claims form the cite you provided.

  9. #319
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Federal Court rules Most obamacare subsidies Illegal[W:286]

    Quote Originally Posted by buck View Post
    The court ruled against it and stayed their decision until further appeal. That doesn't mean that the court didn't rule against it.
    It means it doesn't have the force of law, as I stated.

    I'm right. You're wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  10. #320
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    USA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    9,812

    Re: Federal Court rules Most obamacare subsidies Illegal[W:286]

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    It means it doesn't have the force of law, as I stated.

    I'm right. You're wrong
    It means that the cite you provided has now been proven wrong a 2nd time. 1) the court did hear the case 2) the suit does have a chance in the courts. Add on to that, the cite's complete misunderstanding of the quotes.. and you picked a real winner.

Page 32 of 37 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •