Page 30 of 37 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 ... LastLast
Results 291 to 300 of 366

Thread: Federal Court rules Most obamacare subsidies Illegal[W:286]

  1. #291
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Federal Court rules Most obamacare subsidies Illegal[W:286]

    Quote Originally Posted by buck View Post
    The fact that it succeeded in at least one court and just the fact that the courts addressed the case prove the blog incorrect in at least 2 examples.
    That case didn't succeed anywhere. Fed exchanges are still giving subsidies

    I'm sure you believe that the federal exchange is an exchange created "in the state" and the single federal exchange is multiple exchanges created in "each state"
    It's a fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  2. #292
    Sage
    jmotivator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,697

    Re: Federal Court rules Most obamacare subsidies Illegal[W:286]

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    HCERA clarified it. Maybe if I point this out a few more times you'll finally acknowledge the facts
    No, it didn't. All you quoted from HCERA was from the information reporting section which only proves that the drafters were quite capable of applying a section of the law specifically to 1311 AND 1321 when they wanted to, it just applied it to information reporting. Had they used the same wording in the Subsidies law as they did in the reporting section then there would be no problem. But they didn't word the reporting and subsidies sections the same because they didn't want it to be the same.
    Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he stops voting for the Free Fish party.

  3. #293
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Federal Court rules Most obamacare subsidies Illegal[W:286]

    Quote Originally Posted by jmotivator View Post
    No, it didn't.
    Yes it did
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  4. #294
    Sage
    jmotivator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,697

    Re: Federal Court rules Most obamacare subsidies Illegal[W:286]

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    Yes it did
    You are quoting a piece of law that governs reporting to the IRS of enrollment data. It shows the drafters were capable of referencing both 1311 and 1321 when they wanted the law to apply to 1311 and 1321. That is why their referencing 1311 only in BOTH the PPACA AND the IRS Tax code makes their intent clear.
    Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he stops voting for the Free Fish party.

  5. #295
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Federal Court rules Most obamacare subsidies Illegal[W:286]

    Quote Originally Posted by jmotivator View Post
    You are quoting a piece of law that governs reporting to the IRS of enrollment data. It shows the drafters were capable of referencing both 1311 and 1321 when they wanted the law to apply to 1311 and 1321. That is why their referencing 1311 only in BOTH the PPACA AND the IRS Tax code makes their intent clear.
    It shows that they intended the subsidies to be available in all exchanges.

    That's why the subsidies *are* available in all exchanges
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  6. #296
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    USA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    9,812

    Re: Federal Court rules Most obamacare subsidies Illegal[W:286]

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    That case didn't succeed anywhere. Fed exchanges are still giving subsidies
    Millions of Americans are not entitled to government health insurance subsidies under Obamacare because of the way the law is written, a divided three-judge panel of the D.C. Circuit Court of Appeals ruled Tuesday.
    0ops. Besides which, the court did decide to hear the cases.. Despite your cites claim they wouldn't. Oops again.



    's a fact.
    It's a fact that exchanges set up in the states is a single federal exchange? Interesting. Do tell more.

  7. #297
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Federal Court rules Most obamacare subsidies Illegal[W:286]

    Quote Originally Posted by buck View Post
    0ops. Besides which, the court did decide to hear the cases.. Despite your cites claim they wouldn't. Oops again.
    The court heard the case, and decided that subsidies are allowed on the federal exchanges.

    And I never said the courts wouldn't hear the case. Please quote where I said that or admit that you lied
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  8. #298
    Sage
    jmotivator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,697

    Re: Federal Court rules Most obamacare subsidies Illegal[W:286]

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    It shows that they intended the subsidies to be available in all exchanges.

    That's why the subsidies *are* available in all exchanges
    It shows they intended the IRS to collect information on enrollees from both exchanges. If all the IRS was tasked with was assessing subsidies then you would have an argument. Unfortunately for your argument the IRS was also tasked with penalizing everyone who wasn't enrolled in health insurance, which is clear reason for both types of exchanges needing to give data to the IRS.

    So since there is that penalty assessment function of the IRS needing the 1311 and 1321 wording you can't use it as proof that they intended the same wording for subsidies.
    Last edited by jmotivator; 07-27-14 at 11:34 PM.
    Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he stops voting for the Free Fish party.

  9. #299
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    USA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    9,812

    Re: Federal Court rules Most obamacare subsidies Illegal[W:286]

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    The court heard the case, and decided that subsidies are allowed on the federal exchanges.
    Really? you might want to talk it over with the DC court of appeals.

    In a decision that could blow a massive hole in President Obama’s signature domestic achievement, the court held that people living in states that relied on the federal government to set up their insurance market exchanges cannot offer the subsidies considered critical to making coverage affordable.

    The D.C. Circuit Court of Appeals ruled the administration used an IRS rule to stretch the meaning of the Affordable Care Act, which said financial aid to to low- and middle-income people should only flow to exchanges “established by the State.” If that means only state-run exchanges, it would cut off subsidies to two-thirds of the nation.

    The 2-1 decision from a three-judge panel effectively invalidated the IRS rule that ensured subsidies flowed to every state, and the deciding judges seemed to realize the potential impact of the ruling.

    “We reach this conclusion, frankly, with reluctance,” Judge Thomas B. Griffith said in his opinion for the court. “At least until states that wish to can set up Exchanges, our ruling will likely have significant consequences both for the millions of individuals receiving tax credits through federal Exchanges and for health insurance markets more broadly.”

    And I never said the courts wouldn't hear the case. Please quote where I said that or admit that you lied
    While this theory has little chance in succeeding in the courts, and even less chance of being addressed by the courts anytime in the near future because of jurisdictional problems, it may very well convince conservative state legislators and governors to refuse to establish health insurance exchanges in their states.

  10. #300
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Federal Court rules Most obamacare subsidies Illegal[W:286]

    Quote Originally Posted by jmotivator View Post
    It shows they intended the IRS to collect information on enrollees from both exchanges. If all the IRS was tasked with was assessing subsidies then you would have an argument. Unfortunately for your argument the IRS was also tasked with penalizing everyone who wasn't enrolled in health insurance, which is clear reason for both types of exchanges needing to give data to the IRS.

    So since there is that penalty assessment function of the IRS needing the 1311 and 1321 wording you can't use it as proof that they intended the same wording for subsidies.
    The court says you're wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

Page 30 of 37 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •