Page 61 of 76 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371 ... LastLast
Results 601 to 610 of 758

Thread: Study Finds Elementary Students Like New Healthier Lunches

  1. #601
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 01:26 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,997

    Re: Study Finds Elementary Students Like New Healthier Lunches

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Actually, there are plenty of people who are opposing it simply because it is supported by Obama, either the President or his wife.
    Bs. That is a belief that you can not support with any evidence.


    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    I can't say if you are or not. I don't know.
    You can't say it because no one simply opposes because it comes from one named Obama.
    It is a ridiculous claim.


    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    But opposing it because you believe it is beyond the scope of the government's power to determine what should be served for lunch in the schools when the government is providing the money for those lunches for those government run schools is opposing it for political reasons, even if not the specific political concern in question in the earlier post.
    Another ridiculous claim. It is principle and not political ideology.
    I also support the Gov staying out of what food items can be purchased with food stamps.
    As long as it is food, it isn't the govs business.


    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Just because they fell within government guidelines does not mean that the food was healthy.
    The food was fine.


    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    The "evidence" is anecdotal.

    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

  2. #602
    Educator Meadowlark's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Last Seen
    10-31-16 @ 02:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    750

    Re: Study Finds Elementary Students Like New Healthier Lunches

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    You can't prove that "too many school lunches are ending up in the trash". In fact, you can't prove that it is more lunches/food than before, especially for the younger grades. All the evidence right now is anecdotal.
    Perhaps you can link us to the before stats of the old program,
    so we have something to compare the new program against. And how they measured these details.

  3. #603
    Sage
    ObamacareFail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Earth
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    15,977

    Re: Study Finds Elementary Students Like New Healthier Lunches

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    You can't prove that "too many school lunches are ending up in the trash". In fact, you can't prove that it is more lunches/food than before, especially for the younger grades. All the evidence right now is anecdotal.
    What is know for certain is that the schools that participate in moochelle's lunch program are paid handsomely by the feds. The schools that are starting to drop out of the program are in some of the wealthier school districts that are not quite as dependant on bribes. It does not really matter whether you agree or disagree on whether the program is a failure. It is in fact, a bribe.

  4. #604
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Study Finds Elementary Students Like New Healthier Lunches

    Quote Originally Posted by Meadowlark View Post
    Perhaps you can link us to the before stats of the old program,
    so we have something to compare the new program against. And how they measured these details.
    If you are trying to claim that there is more being thrown in the trash now than before, then it is on you to show the stats that show the change, not me.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  5. #605
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Study Finds Elementary Students Like New Healthier Lunches

    Quote Originally Posted by ObamacareFail View Post
    What is know for certain is that the schools that participate in moochelle's lunch program are paid handsomely by the feds. The schools that are starting to drop out of the program are in some of the wealthier school districts that are not quite as dependant on bribes. It does not really matter whether you agree or disagree on whether the program is a failure. It is in fact, a bribe.
    You seem to think this is a problem. It isn't. I'm all for it being a voluntary program that is tied to money for those lunches rather than a mandated thing by the federal government. My point all along has been if school districts are wanting the money, then they should have to accept the guidelines that come with it.

    In reality, only a few hundred districts out of tens of thousands across the country have dropped the program, refused the money. Around 0.15% of the overall schools in the country. That means the program isn't a failure. Many schools simply aren't willing to give it a chance for various reasons. Some simply can't afford to do so because of their own cost/benefit analysis. In reality though, it isn't likely that many of those schools are going to get their students buying school lunch again just by dropping the program because in general, people get used to something and stick with it. Plus, most of those complaining are high school students who don't stick around all that long in a school district. They graduate, move on.

    I'm all for bringing your own lunches if the students don't want to eat what is provided. It is their choice.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  6. #606
    Educator Meadowlark's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Last Seen
    10-31-16 @ 02:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    750

    Re: Study Finds Elementary Students Like New Healthier Lunches

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    If you are trying to claim that there is more being thrown in the trash now than before, then it is on you to show the stats that show the change, not me.
    That wasn't my claim but if you insist:

    While you have consistently told other members they can't prove their findings with the new program,

    roguenuke -You can't prove that they aren't eating the food in massive numbers. # 321

    roguenuke -You can't prove which foods they are refusing or why.
    You can't prove that this is more than they used to before.
    All you have, at most, is anecdotal evidence based a lot on bias against the new guidelines. # 324

    roguenuke -Prove that the "hungry, underfed" students are throwing away their food, especially in large numbers. #424

    roguenuke- You can't prove that "too many school lunches are ending up in the trash". In fact,
    you can't prove that it is more lunches/food than before, especially for the younger grades.
    All the evidence right now is anecdotal. # 600

    Even you admitted kids are throwing away food

    roguenuke -Some of them are throwing it away, not all. post # 319

    We can prove this from GOA report:

    "Most states reported that SFAs faced challenges with addressing plate waste--or foods thrown away rather than consumed by students

    U.S. GAO - School Lunch: Implementing Nutrition Changes Was Challenging and Clarification of Oversight Requirements Is Needed

    That's a fact stated by the GAO, that you have consistently said can't be proven.

    Since you have mentioned the 'before factor' in this thread,
    and haven't linked to anything as what was 'the before'?

    Surely you have these documented facts on the old program as
    you claim in your posts 'before the new regulations'. It's not up to
    me to prove your statement.

  7. #607
    Educator Meadowlark's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Last Seen
    10-31-16 @ 02:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    750

    Re: Study Finds Elementary Students Like New Healthier Lunches

    In the name of healthy for the schools -

    Each state can mandate the number of daytime fundraisers held each year that buck the nutrition requirements. But so far, 32 states have opted to stay strictly in the healthy zone, according to a draft report from the School Nutrition Association.
    -
    At least 12 states have also already adopted limits on bake-sale foods on their own—providing a taste of what's to come for hundreds of schools nationwide.
    Schools Plan to Lighten Up on Bake Sales - WSJ

    I suppose it's easier for the schools to use the federal guideline for all events, making it easier to follow but I feel bad for the kids to have to adhere to strict rules.

    This year is another big student challenge, only healthy vending machines...YIKES! Can't wait to hear how much the kids love those food items.

    Along with less salt in the lunch program, should make the food a bit more tasty, yummo.

  8. #608
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,540

    Re: Study Finds Elementary Students Like New Healthier Lunches

    Quote Originally Posted by Meadowlark View Post
    In the name of healthy for the schools -


    Schools Plan to Lighten Up on Bake Sales - WSJ

    I suppose it's easier for the schools to use the federal guideline for all events, making it easier to follow but I feel bad for the kids to have to adhere to strict rules.

    This year is another big student challenge, only healthy vending machines...YIKES! Can't wait to hear how much the kids love those food items.

    Along with less salt in the lunch program, should make the food a bit more tasty, yummo.
    Because everyone knows that food can't possibly be both healthful and tasty.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  9. #609
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Study Finds Elementary Students Like New Healthier Lunches

    Quote Originally Posted by Meadowlark View Post
    That wasn't my claim but if you insist:

    While you have consistently told other members they can't prove their findings with the new program,

    roguenuke -You can't prove that they aren't eating the food in massive numbers. # 321

    roguenuke -You can't prove which foods they are refusing or why.
    You can't prove that this is more than they used to before.
    All you have, at most, is anecdotal evidence based a lot on bias against the new guidelines. # 324

    roguenuke -Prove that the "hungry, underfed" students are throwing away their food, especially in large numbers. #424

    roguenuke- You can't prove that "too many school lunches are ending up in the trash". In fact,
    you can't prove that it is more lunches/food than before, especially for the younger grades.
    All the evidence right now is anecdotal. # 600

    Even you admitted kids are throwing away food

    roguenuke -Some of them are throwing it away, not all. post # 319

    We can prove this from GOA report:

    "Most states reported that SFAs faced challenges with addressing plate waste--or foods thrown away rather than consumed by students

    U.S. GAO - School Lunch: Implementing Nutrition Changes Was Challenging and Clarification of Oversight Requirements Is Needed

    That's a fact stated by the GAO, that you have consistently said can't be proven.

    Since you have mentioned the 'before factor' in this thread,
    and haven't linked to anything as what was 'the before'?

    Surely you have these documented facts on the old program as
    you claim in your posts 'before the new regulations'. It's not up to
    me to prove your statement.
    If they didn't track how much was thrown away before, then they can't possibly know if it is different than now, more now. So, did they track it before and where are those numbers to compare to now.

    And yes, children are going to throw away some of their lunch from school. Not every child will like everything they are given for lunch. Even my kid brought home some of his lunch that I sent to school with him, generally because it was simply too much for him, which is another issue in itself. And some may throw away some now because it is "healthy", yet we can't know if that is more than those throwing it away before simply because they didn't want to eat it. Heck I've been known to throw away unhealthy food simply because I couldn't take too much of it. (I almost threw up a doughnut this weekend because I stupidly didn't eat anything and that was the only thing available for me to eat so that I didn't pass out.) Not every student is against the healthier foods, but like most issues, we only hear about those who are against it rather than any one else. Plus, if there is no encouragement from the staff, that makes the students automatically weary of eating the healthier food without even knowing if they like it or not.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  10. #610
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Study Finds Elementary Students Like New Healthier Lunches

    Quote Originally Posted by Meadowlark View Post
    In the name of healthy for the schools -


    Schools Plan to Lighten Up on Bake Sales - WSJ

    I suppose it's easier for the schools to use the federal guideline for all events, making it easier to follow but I feel bad for the kids to have to adhere to strict rules.

    This year is another big student challenge, only healthy vending machines...YIKES! Can't wait to hear how much the kids love those food items.

    Along with less salt in the lunch program, should make the food a bit more tasty, yummo.
    There are dozens if not hundreds of other spices out there besides salt, many of which taste better than salt and are better for you.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

Page 61 of 76 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •