Page 33 of 76 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast
Results 321 to 330 of 758

Thread: Study Finds Elementary Students Like New Healthier Lunches

  1. #321
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Study Finds Elementary Students Like New Healthier Lunches

    Quote Originally Posted by ludin View Post
    the link i posted says otherwise.



    no they can't because the food lunch act limits how much meat serving per week they can get. heck it limits how much meet serving they can't get in a meal. 1 meatball does not make a meat ball sandwich make. the ones that are serving that stuff are not adhereing to the school lunch program.

    they either meet the requirements or they lose the funding. that is why 321 school districts including one in chicago has dropped out.

    nope not at all i think that schools should be able to serve what they want to serve that kids will eat. a chicken nugget that is eaten has more nutrion value than apple sauce thrown in a garbage can.

    it is about michelle's hypocrasy. i guess that is ok for us poor folks workin down here though. being elite must be great. do as i say not as i do.

    lol the big mac would go over better than the food they are serving in the cafeteria. you would probably hear cheers of rejoicing if they served big mac over the crap they are.


    Again you would probably have jumps for joy compared to the slop they are serving now that is being thrown away.

    if you like food being thrown in the trash can then you continue supporting this bill.

    you need to read the ABC. they would rather eat the stuff from mcdonalds and subway or KFC compared to that other list. i don't know any kid that is going to eat what is on the school lunch list or even most of it.

    which is the whole point. THEY AREN"T EATING IT. IT IS GOING IN THE TRASH.

    next year the schools have to serve all wheat items. which is even worse as some kids have glutton allergies or wheat allergies. they can't eat that sort of thing.
    You can't prove that they aren't eating the food in massive numbers. So far all you have as evidence is a year or two old stories and videos from complaining teenagers who are teenagers. Complaining about things is something they do. Given a couple more years, and those teens will have graduated and the next group would have gotten used to it, having eaten these choices for about half of their time in school.

    Those kids who have gluten allergies or wheat allergies can do what they likely do now (especially considering how much stuff actually contains gluten), bring lunch from home. Much more than just "whole wheat" items contain gluten and/or wheat.

    Wheat is good. And it doesn't take that long to get used to it if you give it a chance.
    Last edited by roguenuke; 07-24-14 at 10:53 AM.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  2. #322
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Study Finds Elementary Students Like New Healthier Lunches

    Quote Originally Posted by avery45 View Post
    If you live of the Gov the Gov can tell you how to live. Public lunches should be nutritious. But if a child wants to bring their own lunch then the parent/child should be able to pack whatever they wish.
    In most schools, they can. There is only one known public school (K-12) that doesn't allow students to bring lunches from home, and that isn't due to the new guidelines, only the principle of that school. I don't agree with this policy at all (just as I don't agree with any policy that bans bringing reasonable food items from home to school, although I do believe that schools should be able to ban sodas or certain treats from being brought from home for lunch, especially if sugary foods or junk food in general is the only thing the kid has for lunch).
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  3. #323
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:08 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    30,657

    Re: Study Finds Elementary Students Like New Healthier Lunches

    You can't prove that they aren't eating the food in massive numbers. So far all you have as evidence is a year or two old stories and videos from complaining teenagers who are teenagers. Complaining about things is something they do. Given a couple more years, and those teens will have graduated and the next group would have gotten used to it, having eaten these choices for about half of their time in school.

    Those kids who have gluten allergies or wheat allergies can do what they likely do now (especially considering how much stuff actually contains gluten), bring lunch from home. Much more than just "whole wheat" items contain gluten and/or wheat.

    Wheat is good. And it doesn't take that long to get used to it if you give it a chance.
    I have proved read any of the links. ol wait that would mean once again government doesn't know what it is doing imagine that.
    schools are seeing 2-3x the amount of food waste compared to normal. it has increased by significant measures.

    the rest is a strawman.

    your do as i say not as i do works for your kids not others.
    you have the same attitude as obama which is probably why you support this.

    instead of letting the local schools systems decide what they know is better for the kids you think the government knows best and evidently they don't.
    1m kids have dropped out of the lunch program.
    after 30 years of increased participation there is a drop in that participation rate even though more kids are eligable.

    no not all kids bring their lunches from home. some kids depend on the school lunch for at least one maybe two meals they get.
    evidently they don't want to give it a chance.

    whole wheat paste is nasty in general. i like wheat i eat whole wheat bread over white bread in general.
    the results from the GAO is not good for the program in general.

    more food waste increased food cost as a result. not being able to tailor the menu to students. drop in revenue and participation = failure on any level.

  4. #324
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Study Finds Elementary Students Like New Healthier Lunches

    Quote Originally Posted by ludin View Post
    I have proved read any of the links. ol wait that would mean once again government doesn't know what it is doing imagine that.
    schools are seeing 2-3x the amount of food waste compared to normal. it has increased by significant measures.

    the rest is a strawman.

    your do as i say not as i do works for your kids not others.
    you have the same attitude as obama which is probably why you support this.

    instead of letting the local schools systems decide what they know is better for the kids you think the government knows best and evidently they don't.
    1m kids have dropped out of the lunch program.
    after 30 years of increased participation there is a drop in that participation rate even though more kids are eligable.

    no not all kids bring their lunches from home. some kids depend on the school lunch for at least one maybe two meals they get.
    evidently they don't want to give it a chance.

    whole wheat paste is nasty in general. i like wheat i eat whole wheat bread over white bread in general.
    the results from the GAO is not good for the program in general.

    more food waste increased food cost as a result. not being able to tailor the menu to students. drop in revenue and participation = failure on any level.
    No. You have only shown that some kids are not wanting to eat some of the food. You can't prove which foods they are refusing or why. You can't prove that this is more than they used to before. All you have, at most, is anecdotal evidence based a lot on bias against the new guidelines.

    I love whole wheat pasta and my sons (school age) have no issue eating it.

    Why did they drop out? You didn't survey all of them, neither did anyone else. It could have simply been that it was easier, cheaper, or more convenient to send lunches to school (that's what happened to me the end of this school year after we moved). You nor anyone else has any idea why all those students "dropped out" of getting school lunch, nor how many may have come back in since that estimate was made.

    You have yet to show anything except partisan bias for these guidelines. The biggest issue with any of them is the individual schools and school districts failing to work harder to meet the standards and make the food taste good, which can be done, with just a little effort.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  5. #325
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 01:26 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,997

    Re: Study Finds Elementary Students Like New Healthier Lunches

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    liking something does not equate to indoctrination.
    BS!
    In this case, yeah it pretty much does, and is only one of the many possible explanations for the third party finding.

    Especially as we already know what the coverage of this has been.
    The students do not like it and the food is going in the trash.
    And this is about the Administrators opinion. Not the actual students opinion. Duh!
    So that 70% means diddly squat.


    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    Photos of alleged school food don't mean dick.Are there some credible media sites to verify that these are actually school lunches and these are the complete meals?What about school lunch menus to back up the fact that these are real school lunches? Where are these schools that is serving these alleged school lunches?Is there any interview with the schools that are serving these alledged school lunches?

    You keep arguing in circles but get nowhere. That is because you are not paying attention.
    Those are not just some images from the internet. But for the last one (which tells you where it is from), they are tied directly to twitter accounts of real people.
    Now pay attention, because for some reason what has already been said needs to be repeated because you haven't countered it.
    1.) "You suggesting that they may be fake is unsupportable, and w/o evidence to even suggest such, is an idiotic argument."


    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    You are saying that you are totally incapable of photographing food on a Styrofoam tray or finding pictures of Styrofoam trays with food on it? Look I found some pictures of Styrofoam trays with food on it.

    A great example of you not paying attention.

    As I already stated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    Again alleged photos from school don't mean mean anything.Any schmuck can stick alleged school food on a tray,take a picture of it and claim this is all the school is serving.Styrofoam trays are actually pretty common and so are hard plastic trays.For around 30 bucks plus money for shiping you can get a case of 500 hundred of those exact trays on amazon and I am sure any walmart or other store carry those or similar trays.

    Wow. While what you say can be true, you trying to suggest such with out evidence is ridiculous.
    And yet here you are trying to put words into my mouth that I did not say, and still trying to absurdly suggest something happened without any evidence to support it. D'oh!
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

  6. #326
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 01:26 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,997

    Re: Study Finds Elementary Students Like New Healthier Lunches

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    That 70% claim comes from a credible news source.
    This deserved it's own reply as the statement quoted is so absurd.

    The credibility of the news source is not in question. Duh!
    The news source's credibility has no bearing on the 70% claim. Duh!

    And this is what you said earlier.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    According the OP article 70 percent of the kids like the healthy food. So the idea they are not even taking it is absurd.
    Two things are wrong about the above quoted statements.

    1.) The first claim is absolutely false.
    According to the article in the OP, school administrator's opinion, is that 70% generally like it. D'oh!
    The administrators opinion of what they believed the students opinion were. Duh! That is some crazy stuff there.
    But it is not the students opinion.
    Which should put an end to the nonsense in this thread.



    And kids generally stop complaining when they realize things aren't going to change.
    So failing to continue complain is not an indicator that they "generally" like it. "Generally"! iLOL



    2.) Another absurd statement, as the article itself acknowledges what is already known and reported upon.
    The peer-reviewed study comes amid concerns that the regulations led schools to throw away more uneaten food and prompted some students to drop out of meal programs.
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

  7. #327
    The Dude
    Kobie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Western NY
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    42,890

    Re: Study Finds Elementary Students Like New Healthier Lunches

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    By the FACT that you wholeheartedly support the school lunch program but, even given the KNOWN abuses of the EBT/Food stamp programs you DONT support ensuring people in homes receive those same wonderful and nutritional benefits. In other words from your direct stated comments.
    I posted that there should be restrictions on what can be purchases with food stamps. You are freaking out over nothing.
    Freedom of speech is not freedom from criticism.

  8. #328
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,680

    Re: Study Finds Elementary Students Like New Healthier Lunches

    Quote Originally Posted by Kobie View Post
    I posted that there should be restrictions on what can be purchases with food stamps. You are freaking out over nothing.
    MASSIVE restrictions...like...only what is authorized under the school lunch proposals. Right? Cuz...otherwise...they WILL be buying twinkies and chips...and thats just not healthy. Do it for the children.

    "freaking out"... You people and your silly 'debate' tactics....

  9. #329
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Study Finds Elementary Students Like New Healthier Lunches

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    MASSIVE restrictions...like...only what is authorized under the school lunch proposals. Right? Cuz...otherwise...they WILL be buying twinkies and chips...and thats just not healthy. Do it for the children.

    "freaking out"... You people and your silly 'debate' tactics....
    You are aware that the school lunch program is much more similar to WIC than food stamps, right? Most people can qualify for WIC, while only the poorest people qualify for food stamps. School lunches are for all those students in public school, not just those that are poor.

    If parents want their children to have junk food for lunch, they can send it (in the vast majority of schools), but the school has always had a say in what was served for lunch, and in fact, even the federal government has had at least a little say in it for quite some time.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  10. #330
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    01-17-16 @ 05:09 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,122

    Re: Study Finds Elementary Students Like New Healthier Lunches

    Quote Originally Posted by ludin View Post
    that isn't what the term negative calorie means but way to distort the topic. neutral and negative calorie means that there is not enough calories in a food item
    to over come the thermic energy that it takes to digest it.

    IE a piece of celery has 4 calories but it takes your body 6 calories to consume and digest it then that is a loss of 2 calories at worst you take 1 calorie from digestion.
    it is why dieters eat a lot of fruit, vegtables, and protiens. because it forces their body to consume more energy. it helps in the dieting process.

    The lunches are are serving are 750 max calories but when their body is using 20-30+% of that to consume the food there isn't much left over.
    this leaves people hungery later on.

    "Foods that are claimed to be negative in calories are mostly low-calorie fruits and vegetables such as celery, grapefruit, lemon, lime, apple, lettuce, broccoli, and cabbage.[2] There is no scientific evidence to show that any of these foods have a negative calorific impact.[3][4] Celery has a thermic effect of around 8%, much less than the 100% or more required for a food to have "negative calories". A stalk of celery provides 6 kcal to the body, but the body expends only half of a single calorie digesting it.[2][5] Even proteins, which require the most energy to digest, have a thermic energy of only 20%–30%.[2]

    Diets based on negative-calorie food do not work as advertised, but can lead to weight loss because they satisfy hunger by filling the stomach with food that has a lower calorie count per volume.[2]"
    Wikipedia

Page 33 of 76 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •