Page 26 of 76 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast
Results 251 to 260 of 758

Thread: Study Finds Elementary Students Like New Healthier Lunches

  1. #251
    Light△Bender

    grip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ☚ ☛
    Last Seen
    12-04-17 @ 04:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,186
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Study Finds Elementary Students Like New Healthier Lunches

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Are you unaware that many schools offer a treat (at additional cost) for students? But, that this isn't always true and never has been for all schools? In fact, many high school students and even some middle schoolers have the option of buying things such as ice cream as a la carte items. But, even when I was a teenager, these were additional cost to the regular meal. They were never included in the meal.

    Plus, parents are still free to send treats with their children if they want them to have a treat with their lunch in addition to the school provided meal.
    My school had brownies, your school apparently sucked...lol

    Here's a novel idea, how about 'free choices' to go along with those carrot and celery sticks, gag.
    Einstein, "science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

  2. #252
    Sage
    reinoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Out West
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    16,044
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Study Finds Elementary Students Like New Healthier Lunches

    Quote Originally Posted by ludin View Post
    if you had a bigger field of hay you couldn't build a bigger strawman.
    yep the parents are involved because they are complaining that their kids are going hungry during the school day and not getting enough to eat.

    a burrito shell with a slice of ham and a slice of cheese does not a lunch make.

    here is what obama's kids get to eat.

    This week, for example, they might enjoy meatball subs, BBQ wings and ice cream, in addition to chicken curry, deviled egg salad and the “Chef’s Choice.” Other options on the exclusive menu include:
    ▪ Crusted tilapia
    ▪ Herb roasted chicken
    ▪ Pesto cream & garden-fresh marinara sauce
    ▪ Roasted edamame & ****ake mushrooms
    ▪ BBQ sliders
    ▪ Pesto pasta
    ▪ All-natural rosemary chicken
    ▪ All-natural beef nachos
    ▪ Baked three-cheese lasagna
    ▪ Pepperoni flatbread pizza

    all of which is outside the restrictions that she put on public school kids.
    Let them eat cake. it is good to be elite.
    So then your problem is that private schools are operating outside of federal school mandates? Would you support a law being passed to force private schools to adhere to public school guidelines? A simple yes or no will suffice.

    ▪ Pesto cream & garden-fresh marinara sauce
    ▪ Roasted edamame & ****ake mushrooms

    Those are the things that are being thrown away when tested in public schools. So again, what's your problem exactly?

    Lastly, lol at those mushrooms not making it through the profanity filter.
    Trump Attacked A Syrian Airfield. Trump will be a one-term president.

  3. #253
    Sage
    reinoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Out West
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    16,044
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Study Finds Elementary Students Like New Healthier Lunches

    Quote Originally Posted by grip View Post
    95 apple
    4 celery
    4 carrot
    103 milk
    21 almond
    92 bread
    70 peanut butter
    50 jelly
    ___________

    439 calories
    So then your problem is that schools are not providing three-course meals to students each day? Schools shouldn't be providing children with something to tide them over until they get home because parents should have no responsibility with providing their children with breakfast and/or dinner?
    Trump Attacked A Syrian Airfield. Trump will be a one-term president.

  4. #254
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Study Finds Elementary Students Like New Healthier Lunches

    Quote Originally Posted by reinoe View Post
    So then your problem is that private schools are operating outside of federal school mandates? Would you support a law being passed to force private schools to adhere to public school guidelines? A simple yes or no will suffice.

    ▪ Pesto cream & garden-fresh marinara sauce
    ▪ Roasted edamame & ****ake mushrooms

    Those are the things that are being thrown away when tested in public schools. So again, what's your problem exactly?

    Lastly, lol at those mushrooms not making it through the profanity filter.
    No, the "complaint" is that she doesn't walk her talk with her own children. She could sack lunch them with the same meal she thinks other people's kids should eat.

    And agreed, hilarious on that last.

  5. #255
    Light△Bender

    grip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ☚ ☛
    Last Seen
    12-04-17 @ 04:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,186
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Study Finds Elementary Students Like New Healthier Lunches

    Quote Originally Posted by reinoe View Post
    So then your problem is that schools are not providing three-course meals to students each day? Schools shouldn't be providing children with something to tide them over until they get home because parents should have no responsibility with providing their children with breakfast and/or dinner?
    I give calories and you got ALL that, what an imagination!
    Einstein, "science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

  6. #256
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Study Finds Elementary Students Like New Healthier Lunches

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    Tell you what, YOU feed your kids at that rate. And if you're at all honest with yourself, they'll be hungry most of the time.
    At what "rate"? My child ate school lunch at school and was given lunches by me for another school (just didn't feel like doing the extra paperwork for a month of free lunches at school). He came home hungry no matter what I sent to school with him because he could only eat a little bit of what I gave him at lunch before he was full. He would eat the rest once he got home. I gave him about the same amount as these school lunches are. They are hungry because their stomachs are only so big. They aren't adults.

    I showed you the proof/evidence of what the standards are. That one lunch is not even the normal (in fact, such a meal honestly couldn't be served to even K-5 since it wouldn't fit the minimum requirement of calories either and that is 550 calories, the max is 650) likely this is a preschool age meal from somewhere. That means that even at the minimum amount, 550, an 8 year old would only need one snack during school (100 calories), breakfast (from school has to be 350 calories), another snack after school (norm for school kids, even in the past, around 200 calories), and a 500 calorie meal for dinner (remember those two pizza slices) and they now have 1700 calories for their day. That is with no actual junk food items. You add a desert, let's say an ice cream sandwich, and the kid now has 1830 calories for the day. This is at the minimums that the school must provide for meals for an 8 year old. At the max, they are at that 2000 for the active boy of 8.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  7. #257
    Sage
    reinoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Out West
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    16,044
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Study Finds Elementary Students Like New Healthier Lunches

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    No, the "complaint" is that she doesn't walk her talk with her own children. She could sack lunch them with the same meal she thinks other people's kids should eat.

    And agreed, hilarious on that last.
    How do you know she doesn't provide a sack lunch for her kids? If you work in the school and personally observe the Obama kids meal intakes by all means say so and provide the evidence. I'm an evidence based person so if you're going to say Michelle doesn't provide a meal for her kids that's something that demands evidence.
    Trump Attacked A Syrian Airfield. Trump will be a one-term president.

  8. #258
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Study Finds Elementary Students Like New Healthier Lunches

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    No, the "complaint" is that she doesn't walk her talk with her own children. She could sack lunch them with the same meal she thinks other people's kids should eat.

    And agreed, hilarious on that last.
    How do you know she doesn't? How do you know what she makes her kids eat any time? That's right, you don't. You are assuming.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  9. #259
    Educator Meadowlark's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Last Seen
    10-31-16 @ 02:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    750

    Re: Study Finds Elementary Students Like New Healthier Lunches

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Are you unaware that many schools offer a treat (at additional cost) for students? But, that this isn't always true and never has been for all schools? In fact, many high school students and even some middle schoolers have the option of buying things such as ice cream as a la carte items. But, even when I was a teenager, these were additional cost to the regular meal. They were never included in the meal.

    Plus, parents are still free to send treats with their children if they want them to have a treat with their lunch in addition to the school provided meal.
    Parents can send treats with children but schools are now ruled under the new program.

    "The Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act of 2010, which went into effect July 1, aims to tighten nutritional standards of food and snacks served in K-12 schools.

    In doing so, it gave the U.S. agriculture secretary new jurisdiction over an entire school’s campus in addition to the cafeteria, thus bringing regulations to all parts of the building during the school day — from the lunch line and hallway vending machines to the bookstore.

    The law spells out a special provision for the allowance of “infrequent” school-based food fundraisers in which special items can be sold. It requires states to set the standard, or else the default would be none at all.

    Any food fundraiser in schools, no matter the size or scale, will count for one of the 30 days permitted by the new policy, which school principals are expected to enforce. The State Board of Education voted unanimously to pick that number".
    School bake sales limited by new federal health rules

    The school lunch program as we know it, covers much more than lunch.

  10. #260
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Study Finds Elementary Students Like New Healthier Lunches

    Quote Originally Posted by grip View Post
    My school had brownies, your school apparently sucked...lol

    Here's a novel idea, how about 'free choices' to go along with those carrot and celery sticks, gag.
    Some schools offer desserts with lunch now too, like pudding or jello, possibly cake or pie. Ice cream isn't usually one of them. Ice cream was for sale though as an extra. And that still would go to the point being made that students can still get treats at school. They aren't banned.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

Page 26 of 76 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •