Page 22 of 76 FirstFirst ... 1220212223243272 ... LastLast
Results 211 to 220 of 758

Thread: Study Finds Elementary Students Like New Healthier Lunches

  1. #211
    Sage
    reinoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Out West
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    16,124
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Study Finds Elementary Students Like New Healthier Lunches

    Quote Originally Posted by grip View Post


    Attachment 67170116



    ^^ You wouldn't give this to your dog more less a kid.
    Wouldn't feed that to your dog? This implies you have a problem with the quality of the meal above. What is wrong with that lunch?
    Trump Attacked A Syrian Airfield. Trump will be a one-term president.

  2. #212
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:35 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,356
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Study Finds Elementary Students Like New Healthier Lunches

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    Yeah, in fact all of those things are rather common knowledge. That you don't know those things makes you a bit sheltered. But if you want links, here you go:

    Negative-calorie food - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Nut and Peanut Allergy
    Please Stop Asking Your Children to Finish Their Milk - US News
    There Are No Negative-Calorie Foods - Debunking 10 Myths About Dieting - TIME

    You may have heard that some foods, because they are difficult to digest, will make you lose weight. Dubbed "negative-calorie foods," citrus fruits and celery have both basked in this flattering light in fad diets over the years. The problem is that it's not true. The calories your body burns in fueling the digestive cycle are minuscule compared with the calories in the food itself. Although chewing celery might seem like a strenuous activity, it burns about the same amount of calories as watching grass grow.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  3. #213
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Study Finds Elementary Students Like New Healthier Lunches

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    Yeah, in fact all of those things are rather common knowledge. That you don't know those things makes you a bit sheltered. But if you want links, here you go:

    Negative-calorie food - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    From your link:
    Foods that are claimed to be negative in calories are mostly low-calorie fruits and vegetables such as celery, grapefruit, lemon, lime, apple, lettuce, broccoli, and cabbage.[2] There is no scientific evidence to show that any of these foods have a negative calorific impact.[3][4] Celery has a thermic effect of around 8%, much less than the 100% or more required for a food to have "negative calories". A stalk of celery provides 6 kcal to the body, but the body expends only half of a single calorie digesting it.[2][5] Even proteins, which require the most energy to digest, have a thermic energy of only 20%–30%.[2]
    Diets based on negative-calorie food do not work as advertised, but can lead to weight loss because they satisfy hunger by filling the stomach with food that has a lower calorie count per volume.[2]
    Your own link contradicts you. Can you say "self-pwnage"?

    That links doesn't support your claim that kids can't handle nuts


    That links doesn't support your claim that kids can't handle milk

    Thanks for answering my question (and the answer is you are making **** up)
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  4. #214
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    01-17-16 @ 05:09 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,122

    Re: Study Finds Elementary Students Like New Healthier Lunches

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    Yeah, in fact all of those things are rather common knowledge. That you don't know those things makes you a bit sheltered. But if you want links, here you go:

    Negative-calorie food - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Nut and Peanut Allergy
    Please Stop Asking Your Children to Finish Their Milk - US News
    From your Wikipedia link:
    "Foods that are claimed to be negative in calories are mostly low-calorie fruits and vegetables such as celery, grapefruit, lemon, lime, apple, lettuce, broccoli, and cabbage.[2] There is no scientific evidence to show that any of these foods have a negative calorific impact.[3][4] Celery has a thermic effect of around 8%, much less than the 100% or more required for a food to have "negative calories". A stalk of celery provides 6 kcal to the body, but the body expends only half of a single calorie digesting it.[2][5] Even proteins, which require the most energy to digest, have a thermic energy of only 20%–30%.[2]

    Diets based on negative-calorie food do not work as advertised, but can lead to weight loss because they satisfy hunger by filling the stomach with food that has a lower calorie count per volume.[2]"

  5. #215
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:37 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    30,741

    Re: Study Finds Elementary Students Like New Healthier Lunches

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Wrong. I went just a couple of months ago every day for my son. Both schools I have been to the last school year allow peanut butter. They have separate tables for those students who are severely allergic. Try again.

    Yes, there are plenty of calories there for many younger students.

    It depends on the school as to whether lunch time is part of recess, before, or after. That is where the "should" comes in there. Many schools are learning to rearrange their schedules so that lunch time does come after recess to encourage children to eat more.

    You seem to be the one that isn't used to children or schools, particularly elementary age.

    But in reality, that isn't even the normal meal being served to elementary age students. There are plenty of school menus out there to prove that, some I have already posted.
    you evidently don't understand what neutral calories and negative calories are. please go look them up and then get back to us. about the only thing with any substance is that sandwhich. that depends on what is in it.

    the milk? little to none it is skim milk
    the carrots and celery take more calories to consume than they give back so negative.
    the nuts are the same. it takes more to consume them than what they give.

    the apple is the same way.

    just to show the success of the program for the first time schools have seen a decline in the school lunch program.
    Last edited by ludin; 07-23-14 at 02:28 PM.

  6. #216
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:37 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    30,741

    Re: Study Finds Elementary Students Like New Healthier Lunches

    Quote Originally Posted by reinoe View Post
    These are the points the complainers are bringing up...
    1) the complainers hate that kids are being fed celery, carrots, apples, milk, nuts and a peanut butter sandwich.
    2)they're complaining that Obama's kids are insinuating that Obama's kids are being fed extravagant meals of meatball subs, roasted chicken etc
    3) they're complaining that there's not enough calories in the meals,
    4)they're complaining that our kids are too damn fat.
    5)they're complaining that the kids are throwing away the healthy meals anyway.

    Yes, the complainers want to make sure they hit every possible point, which means as usual they have to engage in mental gymnastics to justify their contradictory points. I haven't read the thread thoroughly but I take it that the concept of parents taking personal responsibility for their kids has been absent from the discussion from these complainers?
    if you had a bigger field of hay you couldn't build a bigger strawman.
    yep the parents are involved because they are complaining that their kids are going hungry during the school day and not getting enough to eat.

    a burrito shell with a slice of ham and a slice of cheese does not a lunch make.

    here is what obama's kids get to eat.

    This week, for example, they might enjoy meatball subs, BBQ wings and ice cream, in addition to chicken curry, deviled egg salad and the “Chef’s Choice.” Other options on the exclusive menu include:
    ▪ Crusted tilapia
    ▪ Herb roasted chicken
    ▪ Pesto cream & garden-fresh marinara sauce
    ▪ Roasted edamame & ****ake mushrooms
    ▪ BBQ sliders
    ▪ Pesto pasta
    ▪ All-natural rosemary chicken
    ▪ All-natural beef nachos
    ▪ Baked three-cheese lasagna
    ▪ Pepperoni flatbread pizza

    all of which is outside the restrictions that she put on public school kids.
    Let them eat cake. it is good to be elite.
    Last edited by ludin; 07-23-14 at 02:30 PM.

  7. #217
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:35 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,356
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Study Finds Elementary Students Like New Healthier Lunches

    Quote Originally Posted by ludin View Post
    you evidently don't understand what neutral calories and negative calories are. please go look them up and then get back to us. about the only thing with any substance is that sandwhich. that depends on what is in it.

    the milk? little to none it is skim milk
    the carrots and celery take more calories to consume than they give back so negative.
    the nuts are the same. it takes more to consume them than what they give.

    the apple is the same way.
    Already debunked.

    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  8. #218
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,054

    Re: Study Finds Elementary Students Like New Healthier Lunches

    Here are a few actual school menus for people to see that this is all partisan overreaction.

    http://www.wcpss.net/espanol/school-...3-2014-k-5.pdf

    Breakfast and Lunch / Lunch

    Of course this doesn't include the snacks and parties that happen during the school days at these schools. I know about them because not only have I provided for them, I've been involved in them, as many other parents were just this past year.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  9. #219
    Light△Bender

    grip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ☚ ☛
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 02:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,224
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Study Finds Elementary Students Like New Healthier Lunches

    Quote Originally Posted by reinoe View Post
    Wouldn't feed that to your dog? This implies you have a problem with the quality of the meal above. What is wrong with that lunch?
    95 apple
    4 celery
    4 carrot
    103 milk
    21 almond
    92 bread
    70 peanut butter
    50 jelly
    ___________

    439 calories
    Einstein, "science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

  10. #220
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Study Finds Elementary Students Like New Healthier Lunches

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    From your link:


    Your own link contradicts you. Can you say "self-pwnage"?
    Try actually reading for comprehension. The issue with the so-called negative calorie foods is that they are used for dieting FOR A REASON.

    but can lead to weight loss because they satisfy hunger by filling the stomach with food that has a lower calorie count per volume
    You were saying there were plenty of calories on that plate?

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    That links doesn't support your claim that kids can't handle nuts




    That links doesn't support your claim that kids can't handle milk

    Thanks for answering my question (and the answer is you are making **** up)
    Then you've lost your ability to read. And put the semantic BS away. Milk and nut allergies are much more prevalent today. Both links point that out.

Page 22 of 76 FirstFirst ... 1220212223243272 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •