Page 16 of 76 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 160 of 758

Thread: Study Finds Elementary Students Like New Healthier Lunches

  1. #151
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,362

    Re: Study Finds Elementary Students Like New Healthier Lunches

    Quote Originally Posted by Kobie View Post
    Well, no, I don't; that said, I think it would be prudent to exclude certain items from food stamp/EBT eligibility in favor of more nutritious staples.
    Yeah, I work in a grocery store, and it's just disgusting to have to watch people buy $50 worth of Red Bull on food stamps.
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

  2. #152
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,362

    Re: Study Finds Elementary Students Like New Healthier Lunches

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    Huh...REEEEEAAAALLLLLLYYYYYYY. so...its OK to force a 'healthy school meal (that no one wants) on school chilluns, but not on recipients of food stamps, even though it s allegedly healthy and the right thing to do? Thats not at all shocking.
    You're ignoring the fact that the government is already choosing the food that the public school children get anyway. So why not make those options healthier than they previously were? If they don't like it they can bring their own lunch.
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

  3. #153
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,744

    Re: Study Finds Elementary Students Like New Healthier Lunches

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    You're ignoring the fact that the government is already choosing the food that the public school children get anyway. So why not make those options healthier than they previously were? If they don't like it they can bring their own lunch.
    No...in many cases they cannot bring their lunch. The dissent regarding food caliber and quality seems to be the issue. But...I would agree that the since we are talking about those on government assistance, the government should choose what form of assistance ALL recipients receive. These healthy and nutritional meals should be the standard for all food stamp/food assistance programs.

  4. #154
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,362

    Re: Study Finds Elementary Students Like New Healthier Lunches

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    No...in many cases they cannot bring their lunch. The dissent regarding food caliber and quality seems to be the issue. But...I would agree that the since we are talking about those on government assistance, the government should choose what form of assistance ALL recipients receive. These healthy and nutritional meals should be the standard for all food stamp/food assistance programs.
    It's not government assistance, these kids pay for the school lunches. However, since the government is in charge of the menu, then there is no reason why the options should not be healthy. Especially since we have an obesity epidemic in this country.
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

  5. #155
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,054

    Re: Study Finds Elementary Students Like New Healthier Lunches

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    No...in many cases they cannot bring their lunch. The dissent regarding food caliber and quality seems to be the issue. But...I would agree that the since we are talking about those on government assistance, the government should choose what form of assistance ALL recipients receive. These healthy and nutritional meals should be the standard for all food stamp/food assistance programs.
    Not a single school is prevented by the federal government from allowing children to bring in their own lunch. There is some confusion among many states about whether preschoolers in head start programs can bring their lunches in without a medical reason, but this has to do with the safety (mainly) of the food rather than the actual nutritional quality of the food, and appears to depend much more on the individual states than the actual federal government. The one school that people have been hearing about that does not allow students to bring their lunches in, Little <something> Academy in Chicago (I think), has had this policy (it is their policy) for over 6 years now and it has nothing to do with the federal government at all.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  6. #156
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 01:26 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,997

    Re: Study Finds Elementary Students Like New Healthier Lunches

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    A school's sole job is to educate.Educating kids on proper nutrition is not indoctrination.It is educating kids as to what proper nutrition is.

    Yes it is indoctrination.
    Proper? Even your choice of wording shows it is indoctrination.
    Secondly, the topic is about "like", not being taught simple about what is believed to be better.
    That is indoctrination.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hard Truth View Post
    Its not indoctrination if it is true. Its education.
    You as well as others seem not to understand that what is being spoken about is "like".
    That is indoctrination.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kobie View Post
    Teaching what foods are healthy and what foods are not is not even remotely comparable to "indoctrination." Your point of view on this issue is utterly absurd.
    And another one who wants to confuse what is being spoken about.
    Their "like" is what we are speaking about. It is indoctrination.
    You saying it isn't indoctrination when it is is what is truly absurd.


    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    Indoctrinate means: to teach (someone) to fully accept the ideas, opinions, and beliefs of a particular group and to not consider other ideas, opinions, and beliefs

    Facts are not "ideas, opinions or beliefs", they are facts. Example of a Fact: Carrots are healthier for you than hot dogs.

    If you have an opinion that is in opposition to a fact, then you are a ****ing retard and your opinion is ****ing worthless.

    EVERYONE should fully accept facts and reject opinions that try to defy the facts. that's not called indoctrination, that's called not being a ****ing retard.

    And yet another one who doesn't realize what is being spoken about.
    Or do you really not understand the word "like".
    "Study Finds Elementary Students Like New Healthier Lunches"
    Which has nothing to do with whether or not the lunches are actually healthier.


    indoctrinate
    in·doc·tri·nate
    [in-dok-truh-neyt]
    verb (used with object), in·doc·tri·nat·ed, in·doc·tri·nat·ing.

    1. to instruct in a doctrine, principle, ideology, etc., especially to imbue with a specific partisan or biased belief or point of view.
    2. to teach or inculcate.
    3. to imbue with learning.

    Indoctrinate | Define Indoctrinate at Dictionary.com


    No matter how you want to view this, it is indoctrination.





    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    Again alleged photos from school don't mean mean anything.Any schmuck can stick alleged school food on a tray,take a picture of it and claim this is all the school is serving.Styrofoam trays are actually pretty common and so are hard plastic trays.For around 30 bucks plus money for shiping you can get a case of 500 hundred of those exact trays on amazon and I am sure any walmart or other store carry those or similar trays.

    Wow. While what you say can be true, you trying to suggest such with out evidence is ridiculous.


    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    According the OP article 70 percent of the kids like the healthy food.So the idea they are not even taking it is absurd.

    The claim flies in the face of what is already known. The food is ending up in the trash because it isn't being eaten, which of course has nothing to do with taking it.


    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    Are they supposed point kids towards the direction of the strip malls for lunch and provide food coupons for poor kids or say to the kids your mommy doesn't love you enough to feed you so no school lunch for you?
    You fail out the gate with your emotive babble.
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

  7. #157
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 01:26 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,997

    Re: Study Finds Elementary Students Like New Healthier Lunches

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    And?



    We do not need more Gov control.
    We need less Gov control.
    School lunches have always been government controlled in what was served by the school. The only difference now is in which government entity has how much say in what is served.

    No school that I know of (K-12) bans school lunches (with the exception of that Little Academy (I think they are elementary school), which has had that policy for at least 6 years, making it a local policy of the principle there and enacted before the current federal guidelines were thought of).
    Nothing you said counters what you quoted.
    We do not need more Gov control.
    We need less Gov control.
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

  8. #158
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: Study Finds Elementary Students Like New Healthier Lunches

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    Here's the problem with your argument, the government was choosing the lunches beforehand. This is not the government stepping in where it doesn't belong, this is just the government making a better choice where they already had control.
    YOU MISS THE POINT.

    Good night it's like you people have your eyes wide shut.

    Have you seen the shopping carts they want?

    Have you seen the way they want the grocery stores to operate?


    Oh, let me guess, you either have not, OR "well it'll make you HEALTHIER!" right?

    You guys just don't get it.
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



  9. #159
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,054

    Re: Study Finds Elementary Students Like New Healthier Lunches

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    Nothing you said counters what you quoted.
    We do not need more Gov control.
    We need less Gov control.
    This isn't more government control though, as your post suggested, only a different kind of government control. Parents are still free to send lunches with their children to school. There is simply a different, healthier menu being served in schools to help children. If parents don't want that food for their children, they can provide an alternative.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  10. #160
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,744

    Re: Study Finds Elementary Students Like New Healthier Lunches

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Not a single school is prevented by the federal government from allowing children to bring in their own lunch. There is some confusion among many states about whether preschoolers in head start programs can bring their lunches in without a medical reason, but this has to do with the safety (mainly) of the food rather than the actual nutritional quality of the food, and appears to depend much more on the individual states than the actual federal government. The one school that people have been hearing about that does not allow students to bring their lunches in, Little <something> Academy in Chicago (I think), has had this policy (it is their policy) for over 6 years now and it has nothing to do with the federal government at all.
    SOrry...its simply not true that it is only happening in one isolated little school. There are accounts from Hawaii to Virginia and many states in between, all citing federal Head Start funding and guidelines as part of their justification. Regardless of whether or not it is mandated or if it is local policy using federal guidelines as their hammer, it is still happening.
    School Bans Homemade Lunches, Angering Parents Critical Of Federal Nutritional Standards

    Still...OK...fine. I agree...healthy living is really what it is all about and for that reason, we should ENSURE that people on government assistance ONLY be given prepackaged foods that meet these nutritional standards. Just like those eeeeevil parents that might pack a twinkie in their sack lunch, many have demonstrated they obviously make bad decisions and need, no...DESERVE the privilege of having someone else make their health and nutritional decisions for them.

Page 16 of 76 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •