Page 86 of 88 FirstFirst ... 36768485868788 LastLast
Results 851 to 860 of 873

Thread: Report: Malaysia Airlines flight crashes in Ukraine [/71]

  1. #851
    Sage
    Anthony60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Northern New Jersey
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,527

    Re: Report: Malaysia Airlines flight crashes in Ukraine

    Quote Originally Posted by GreatNews2night View Post
    I didn't say it was racism. I said it was playing the race card. One can focus on race without being a racist. I was accused of playing the race card and I replied that I was responding to someone - you - who brought up race first.
    Well, you did say we only wanted to see his transcripts because he is (half) black. That's a far cry from bringing up affirmative action.

    The University of Chicago itself has a note on their website (since it became such a Frequently Asked Question) explaining that Obama's title of Senior Lecture is a full equivalent to a professor. Here, don't take my word for it; take theirs:
    Oh, yes I read that. They were quite careful with their wording, doing their best to try and say he was a professor, without actually saying. I heard an interview with an actual professor there shortly after Obama was elected. Basically he said Obama was pretty quiet, kept to himself, nothing outstanding, and wasn't around much. They used to say hello to each other, then Obama refused to even look at him when he found out he was a Republican.

    I can't fathom Columbia University and Harvard University thinking "huh, we got this mediocre student here, Barack Obama, a nobody by the way, coming from some mixed family, an immigrant father who left the country and a mother who died, raised by his middle-class grand parents. Huh, out of the blue, let's just pretend his work is outstanding and give him our highest grades. Who cares for our standards we've been upholding strictly for more than a century? We just feel like whisking along the mediocre kid." My friend, this is HIGHLY unlikely.
    Funny, you could be describing all those that voted for him and put him in office. Yes, highly unlikely, but it happened. I would NEVER have believed that a guy so obviously unqualified could even get considered, let alone get elected.


    There's been people even less qualified who got offered senior positions - the most blatant example being Sarah Palin, a barely literate woman...
    Palin, is a rock solid conservative, so she's got my support. Like it or not, she was way more qualified that Obama, and in hindsight, could not have done a worse job that Obama.
    "We have met the enemy and they are ours..." -- Oliver Hazard Perry
    "I don't want a piece of you... I want the whole thing!" -- Bob Barker

  2. #852
    Educator GreatNews2night's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Last Seen
    04-07-17 @ 01:26 AM
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    699

    Re: Report: Malaysia Airlines flight crashes in Ukraine

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony60 View Post
    Well, you did say we only wanted to see his transcripts because he is (half) black. That's a far cry from bringing up affirmative action.
    Guilty as charged. OK, let me stop beating around the bush. Maybe it is not PC to say so, but I do think people who insist in seeing his transcript (remember, candidates to POTUS are supposed to show their tax return, not their school transcript so this is something that has only been applied to Obama) do so because he is (half) black. There you go. You can hate me for saying so but that is actually what I do think.

    Oh, yes I read that. They were quite careful with their wording, doing their best to try and say he was a professor, without actually saying. I heard an interview with an actual professor there shortly after Obama was elected. Basically he said Obama was pretty quiet, kept to himself, nothing outstanding, and wasn't around much. They used to say hello to each other, then Obama refused to even look at him when he found out he was a Republican.
    Being quiet has nothing to do with whether or not his work was outstanding. This Republican is assessing his work as a law professor as "nothing outstanding" based on what? He didn't seem to be close enough to Obama to even know. "They used to say hello to each other." "And wasn't around much" - according to the university, Obama taught three courses per semester, there. He was not a full-timer. Maybe that's this professor's notion of "not being around much." "Refused to even look at him when he found out he was a Republican" - understandable, given how Republicans treat him, accusing him all the time of not being American-born, trying to see his transcript, saying he is a Muslim, etc.

    Funny, you could be describing all those that voted for him and put him in office. Yes, highly unlikely, but it happened. I would NEVER have believed that a guy so obviously unqualified could even get considered, let alone get elected.
    The alternatives (warmonger McCain with his idiotic VP candidate, and economically disconnected 47%-man who loves to fire people Romney) were so dismal, that no wonder Obama got elected and re-elected.

    Palin, is a rock solid conservative, so she's got my support. Like it or not, she was way more qualified that Obama, and in hindsight, could not have done a worse job that Obama.
    I profoundly disagree that Palin was more qualified. She didn't even finish the job of governor of Alaska. She is just a very dumb, very ignorant, very unqualified former politician. Had McCain been elected and croaked, we'd have been stuck with the least qualified president in our nation's history, even worse than weak Obama and some other historical disasters. After the campaign, her own staffers have disclosed how terribly ignorant and clueless she was, while they were trying to brief her so she didn't look so bad.

    Hey, being conservative is not necessarily a bad thing. I don't blame her for being conservative. I blame her for being dumb and ignorant.

  3. #853
    Sage
    Anthony60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Northern New Jersey
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,527

    Re: Report: Malaysia Airlines flight crashes in Ukraine

    Quote Originally Posted by GreatNews2night View Post
    The alternatives (warmonger McCain with his idiotic VP candidate, and economically disconnected 47%-man who loves to fire people Romney) were so dismal, that no wonder Obama got elected and re-elected.
    Hey, don't argue with me about McCain and Romney. Both weak, establishment Republicans. No where near conservative. Why vote for them when you can vote for the full blown version with Obama? Palin was the only conservative in the whole bunch. As an aside, Romney was absolutely right with that comment. It's amazing how people can be mislead and be turned against someone who is just giving a known fact.


    I profoundly disagree that Palin was more qualified. She didn't even finish the job of governor of Alaska. She is just a very dumb, very ignorant, very unqualified former politician. Had McCain been elected and croaked, we'd have been stuck with the least qualified president in our nation's history, even worse than weak Obama and some other historical disasters. After the campaign, her own staffers have disclosed how terribly ignorant and clueless she was, while they were trying to brief her so she didn't look so bad.

    Hey, being conservative is not necessarily a bad thing. I don't blame her for being conservative. I blame her for being dumb and ignorant.
    Obviously, I disagree there. You should get informed on what was being done to her if you think it was just a question of her finishing her job as governor. She was the target of some of the most vile, disgusting attacks from the left that any politician has ever had to endure. You want to see which party has a war on women? Take a look at some of the things the democrats said (and continue to say) about Sarah Palin.

    She had to play catch up when she joined the McCain ticket, she wasn't ready for that campaign. But you are mistaken about her, she is a great speaker, believes in the Constitution, and is grounded in solid conservative principles. Just those things put her way ahead of Obama, a guy who looks for ways to circumvent the Constitution. One supports the Constitution, one hates it. No comparison.

    Now, she may not be my first choice for President, but I'd take her over Jeb, McCain, Romney, etc...
    "We have met the enemy and they are ours..." -- Oliver Hazard Perry
    "I don't want a piece of you... I want the whole thing!" -- Bob Barker

  4. #854
    Bohemian Revolutionary
    Demon of Light's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    03-07-17 @ 12:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,095

    Re: Report: Malaysia Airlines flight crashes in Ukraine

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter King View Post
    An anti-Putin newspaper has printed this newspaper

    Attachment 67170218

    Which says in Dutch (and Russian) "Netherlands, forgive us".
    That's not possible. Everyone knows Russia does not have any freedom of the press. No self-respecting dictator would allow such a stinging statement from the country's domestic media.
    "For what is Evil but Good-tortured by its own hunger and thirst?"
    - Khalil Gibran

  5. #855
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Report: Malaysia Airlines flight crashes in Ukraine

    Quote Originally Posted by GreatNews2night View Post
    Guilty as charged. OK, let me stop beating around the bush. Maybe it is not PC to say so, but I do think people who insist in seeing his transcript (remember, candidates to POTUS are supposed to show their tax return, not their school transcript so this is something that has only been applied to Obama) do so because he is (half) black. There you go. You can hate me for saying so but that is actually what I do think.
    That's not true though. We don't require it, but candidates do supply access to those records on request. I can recall every president but the current one from Clinton on doing so as a candidate. Obama as a candidate played quite a lot of word games. Ask him for something simple like his college transcripts and the guy did gymnastics to avoid supplying them, making it look like he was hiding something. Instead of just supplying them.

    Fast forward to now when we know that most of what he promised in his campaign was a lie, and we tend to distrust his closed record achievements. It's not because of his race, but because of the way he hides normal stuff as if there's something to hide.

  6. #856
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where I am now
    Last Seen
    09-11-17 @ 03:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,386

    Re: Report: Malaysia Airlines flight crashes in Ukraine

    Imo...

    ...the rebels shot it down stupidly and unintentionally.

    ...the pilot/airline were idiots to fly over the area (I don't care how many other airlines did as well - they were idiots also).

    ...Ukraine should have closed that route to civilian traffic so long as the war raged.

    Blame all around (the rebels primarily).

  7. #857
    Sage


    Thoreau72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 09:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    20,267

    Re: Report: Malaysia Airlines flight crashes in Ukraine

    I don't think it was accidental.

    Judging from the way the story was spun from the beginning, I think there was a purpose for the shootdown.

  8. #858
    Sage
    Peter King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Netherlands
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    14,014

    Re: Report: Malaysia Airlines flight crashes in Ukraine

    More news from MH17, the first victim has been identified and the mayor of the town in which the victim lived, as well as the family of the victim has been notified. The mayor has been notified so he can organize victim aid support etc. etc. etc.


    As a result of the crash another person has died. 93 year old Henk Palm from Roden in the Netherlands has passed away from a broken heart (according to his family). The man had been deeply saddened when his only daughter Erla, his son in law Rob and his only grandchildren Merel and Mark had died because of the downing of flight MH17. Henk Palm died 5 days after the crash.


    Separatists in Ukraine claim to have handed over personal luggage of the victims of MH17 to Dutch investigators.


    Maria Putin has taken shelter somewhere other than her place of living in Voorschoten the Netherlands because curiously Putin's daughter lives in the Netherlands.


    The forensic experts who were on their way to the crash site have not traveled to the crash site because of fights in the area
    Former military man (and now babysitter of Donald Trump) John Kelly, is a big loud lying empty barrel!

  9. #859
    Educator GreatNews2night's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Last Seen
    04-07-17 @ 01:26 AM
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    699

    Re: Report: Malaysia Airlines flight crashes in Ukraine

    The Times cover story for the August 4 issue which I just got in the mail says that Putin will virtually face no backlash from this, and Europe's reaction will remain subdued, even from the Netherlands, and especially from Italy which now holds the rotating EU presidency. It says that even if Europe comes to be in line with the United States in imposing tougher sanctions, at the first opportunity they will walk away from it. Putin knows very well that the EU and the US are toothless, he controls domestic opinion through an adoring media (even the private media is pro-Putin in Russia for the most part, and he cracked down on those who aren't), and he will just plow ahead in his dream of destabilizing NATO and implementing an Eurasia.

    It's depressing. One laments the fact that the West is toothless, and of course the right wing warmongers in the United States put the blame on what they perceive is a weak Obama, but then, what do we (Americans) want? We are uncomfortable with the fact that we are losing global influence and that we *are* weak at this time and have an indecisive president, but we also don't want more wars. All these people who bash Obama on this are talking from the standpoint of partisan politics, because if they were in power and were sending in the troops (or even significantly arming the pro-Kiev Ukrainians) these measures would be extremely unpopular.

    So, America is facing a huge paradox - we don't like the fact that we are impotent right now but we also don't want more foreign conflict.

    Meanwhile Putin will continue to thrive.

    I don't see any way out. The only way out would be for Europe to become really serious about this, but we know that they won't. They are too dependent on Putin's oil and gas and don't want to upset a shaky economic recovery. They don't seem to have learned from their 20th century history that appeasement is not a good strategy.

    So, we'll just walk blindly into another century of growing conflict in Europe and there's almost nothing we can do to avoid it.

  10. #860
    Sage
    Lord of Planar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Portlandia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,237

    Re: Report: Malaysia Airlines flight crashes in Ukraine

    Quote Originally Posted by GreatNews2night View Post
    So, America is facing a huge paradox - we don't like the fact that we are impotent right now but we also don't want more foreign conflict.
    Obama is impotent, and even if we had a different president, things may be the same.

    The public still doesn't know the facts, and we don't know if our government knows with certainty either.

    What if our government's certainty is as good as the Yellowcake certainty? Really now... What should we do?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •