Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22

Thread: Iraq conflict: Kurds seize two oilfields in north

  1. #1
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,851
    Blog Entries
    2

    Iraq conflict: Kurds seize two oilfields in north

    Iraqi Kurds have taken over two northern oilfields amid a growing dispute with the government in Baghdad.

    Kurdish peshmerga forces are said to have seized control of production facilities at Bai Hassan and Kirkuk

    Read more here: BBC News - Iraq conflict: Kurds seize two oilfields in north




    It may not happen next week, but I predict that eventually the Kurds in Iraq will secede from Iraq and create an independent Kurdistan nation.

    I see little chance that Iraq will be able to stop this from happening.

    Who would fight for Iraq to stop this from happening?

    The Kurdish peshmerga has already shown that it is able and willing to fight to protect the Kurdish people and their territory..

    They won't back down.

    Iraq has a serious problem and the USA won't be able to solve it for them.
    Last edited by shrubnose; 07-12-14 at 01:26 PM.

  2. #2
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:54 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    43,358

    Re: Iraq conflict: Kurds seize two oilfields in north

    Quote Originally Posted by shrubnose View Post
    Iraqi Kurds have taken over two northern oilfields amid a growing dispute with the government in Baghdad.

    Kurdish peshmerga forces are said to have seized control of production facilities at Bai Hassan and Kirkuk

    Read more here: BBC News - Iraq conflict: Kurds seize two oilfields in north




    It may not happen next week, but I predict that eventually the Kurds in Iraq will secede from Iraq and create an independent Kurdistan nation.

    I see little chance that Iraq will be able to stop this from happening.

    Who would fight for Iraq?
    I cannot see many, who would fight for Iraq as such. The Turks could be unhappy that the Kurds get their own and rich home base, though.

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    Re: Iraq conflict: Kurds seize two oilfields in north

    Quote Originally Posted by shrubnose View Post
    Iraqi Kurds have taken over two northern oilfields amid a growing dispute with the government in Baghdad.

    Kurdish peshmerga forces are said to have seized control of production facilities at Bai Hassan and Kirkuk

    Read more here: BBC News - Iraq conflict: Kurds seize two oilfields in north




    It may not happen next week, but I predict that eventually the Kurds in Iraq will secede from Iraq and create an independent Kurdistan nation.

    I see little chance that Iraq will be able to stop this from happening.

    Who would fight for Iraq to stop this from happening?

    The Kurdish peshmerga has already shown that it is able and willing to fight to protect the Kurdish people and their territory..

    They won't back down.

    Iraq has a serious problem and the USA won't be able to solve it for them.
    The Kurds have always been peaceful and I'm glad they're taking their share........ The Kurds just want to be left alone.

    IMO, I would drop the Kurds weapons, food, medicine and anything they need.

  4. #4
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,851
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Iraq conflict: Kurds seize two oilfields in north

    Quote Originally Posted by joG View Post
    I cannot see many, who would fight for Iraq as such.
    The Turks could be unhappy that the Kurds get their own and rich home base, though.



    I have thought about that, but I don't believe that Turkey will stop this from happening.

    They could but it would be a huge enterprise and an independent Kurdistan in Iraq's oil rich North has certain advantages for Turkey.

    I believe that Kurdistan and Turkey could work together to the advantage of both states.

  5. #5
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,851
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Iraq conflict: Kurds seize two oilfields in north

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    The Kurds have always been peaceful and I'm glad they're taking their share........ The Kurds just want to be left alone.


    IMO, I would drop the Kurds weapons, food, medicine and anything they need.



    That's pretty much the way that I've seen it for a long time, The Kurds need their own nation.

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    Re: Iraq conflict: Kurds seize two oilfields in north

    Quote Originally Posted by shrubnose View Post
    That's pretty much the way that I've seen it for a long time, The Kurds need their own nation.
    They don't even need their own nation - they're a tribe, they need to be left alone.

    They're good people and they don't need any of this war nonsense.

    We should be protecting them, and I hope we are.

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    06-30-16 @ 07:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,309
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Iraq conflict: Kurds seize two oilfields in north

    There was a time when people thought ethnic groups should get their own nation. World War II happened about twenty years later.

    The Iranians will help suppress the Kurds if they attempt a revolt, Syria and Turkey will both support the central government of Iraq, although they will be unable and unwilling respectively, to intervene militarily.

  8. #8
    feckless bon vivant

    radioman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    lotusland
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 08:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    3,761

    Re: Iraq conflict: Kurds seize two oilfields in north

    Quote Originally Posted by shrubnose View Post
    Iraqi Kurds have taken over two northern oilfields amid a growing dispute with the government in Baghdad.

    Kurdish peshmerga forces are said to have seized control of production facilities at Bai Hassan and Kirkuk

    Read more here: BBC News - Iraq conflict: Kurds seize two oilfields in north
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Joe Biden opine that Iraq should be divided into three different zones?
    He was mocked by many.
    I agreed with Joe at the time and the Kurds seem to have taken Biden seriously.
    Good for them.
    No matter how cynical I become toward politicians, it's never enough.

  9. #9
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:54 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    43,358

    Re: Iraq conflict: Kurds seize two oilfields in north

    Quote Originally Posted by shrubnose View Post
    I have thought about that, but I don't believe that Turkey will stop this from happening.

    They could but it would be a huge enterprise and an independent Kurdistan in Iraq's oil rich North has certain advantages for Turkey.

    I believe that Kurdistan and Turkey could work together to the advantage of both states.
    I tend to agree with you. But certainty feels quite different.

  10. #10
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,851
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Iraq conflict: Kurds seize two oilfields in north

    Quote Originally Posted by joG View Post
    I tend to agree with you. But certainty feels quite different.



    Correct, nothing is really a sure thing until it happens, but I believe that this is going to happen.

    It should have happened a long time ago.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •