Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 74

Thread: Judge throws out Florida's congressional map[W:40]

  1. #61
    Guru
    Samhain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Northern Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:15 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,875

    Re: Judge throws out Florida's congressional map

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    I seriously think he just assumed it was Democrats doing it. Because Democrats bad.

    In 2012, Democrats received 1.4 million more votes in the House of Representatives than Republicans did. Republicans somehow got a 33 seat advantage. You want to tell me it's progressives doing all that terrible gerrymandering?
    Which is a misnomer, considering each state has different rules about reporting election results when there is no challenger(Some report 0 votes with no challenger).

    Gerrymandering could be solved by letting a computer draw the lines, but since you have to take "race" into the equation, it would never work.

  2. #62
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,736

    Re: Judge throws out Florida's congressional map

    Quote Originally Posted by NIMBY View Post
    gerrymandering--the reason for the 17th amendment against the gilded wing of the GOP
    Gerrymandering - the reason we have corrupt politicians in charge.

    Party has nothing to do with it.
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  3. #63
    Sage
    poweRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    34,843

    Re: Judge throws out Florida's congressional map

    Quote Originally Posted by Samhain View Post
    Which is a misnomer, considering each state has different rules about reporting election results when there is no challenger(Some report 0 votes with no challenger).

    Gerrymandering could be solved by letting a computer draw the lines, but since you have to take "race" into the equation, it would never work.
    Gerrymandering could be solved if we just abolish congressional districts and flipped the house into a parliament and got much much better representation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    The sad fact is that having a pedophile win is better than having a Democrat in office. I'm all for a solution where a Republican gets in that isn't Moore.

  4. #64
    Sage


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    IL
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    36,762

    Re: Judge throws out Florida's congressional map

    Gerrymandering--the reason we have the 17th amendment changing the choice of US Senators.
    From being appointed by Gerry-mandered State Bodies controlled in large part by the GOP.
    Shame T. Roosevelt gave the Dem progress---ives both the 17th amd 16th amendments.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    Gerrymandering - the reason we have corrupt politicians in charge.
    Not in the Senate, which cannot be gerry-mandered since the 17th amendment.

    Party has nothing to do with it.
    It has always had everything to do with party and always will since the Civil War.
    If the 17th were gone right now, which the GOP wants, the GOP would have about 60 or so rough estimate Senators without checking closely.
    Physics is Phun

  5. #65
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,736

    Re: Judge throws out Florida's congressional map

    Quote Originally Posted by NIMBY View Post
    Gerrymandering--the reason we have the 17th amendment changing the choice of US Senators.
    From being appointed by Gerry-mandered State Bodies controlled in large part by the GOP.
    Shame T. Roosevelt gave the Dem progress---ives both the 17th amd 16th amendments.

    Not in the Senate, which cannot be gerry-mandered since the 17th amendment.


    It has always had everything to do with party and always will since the Civil War.
    If the 17th were gone right now, which the GOP wants, the GOP would have about 60 or so rough estimate Senators without checking closely.
    Gerrymandering was done to ensure whichever party did it kept getting senators elected by their majorities in state congresses.

    The 17th hasn't stopped gerrymandering, it just blocked it's use in senatorial selection by taking that power away from the states and giving it to the residents of the states.

    Gerrymandering still happens plenty in representative elections and state elections, however. And from both parties.

    If we only had a reasonable anti-gerrymandering law, we could repeal the 17th and give the states back their senatorial selection power.

    I'd never support removal of the 17th without good anti-gerrymandering laws in every state. I doubt many actual conservatives would, either. Or anyone, for that matter, unless they had a vested interest in allowing gerrymandering to lock in senators/parties for decades again.
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  6. #66
    Sage


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    IL
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    36,762

    Re: Judge throws out Florida's congressional map

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    Gerrymandering was done to ensure whichever party did it kept getting senators elected by their majorities in state congresses.
    I see the 17th as done to break the monopoly the GOP had on the Senate, due to statehouse G-M maps.


    The 17th hasn't stopped gerrymandering,
    It has for Senate elections, as well as seven states with only one Congressman.
    Gerrymandering still happens plenty in representative elections and state elections, however. And from both parties.
    The GOP owns a 2-to-1 edge in 435 Gerry-Mandered House seats--that is my prime focus.
    Texas has 27 GOP Congressman and only 9 Democrats, yet the ratio of GOPs/Dems isn't close to 3-to-1.
    This is why Texas has been on the Judicial Watch list since 1990 for GM.
    It is certainly about the Voting Rights Law that the GOP keeps treying to gut.
    If we only had a reasonable anti-gerrymandering law, we could repeal the 17th and give the states back their Senatorial selection power.
    Do you seriously think this current GOP House would vote for an anti-gerrymandering law?
    Putting the fox back in the henhouse would give us the problem over 100 years ago.
    I'd never support removal of the 17th without good anti-gerrymandering laws in every state. I doubt many actual conservatives would, either. Or anyone, for that matter, unless they had a vested interest in allowing gerrymandering to lock in senators/parties for decades again.
    Conservatives on this site actively work for the repeal of ther 17th amendment, as well as the rest of the Progress--ive era .
    Last edited by NIMBY; 08-05-14 at 12:00 AM.
    Physics is Phun

  7. #67
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,736

    Re: Judge throws out Florida's congressional map

    Quote Originally Posted by NIMBY View Post
    I see the 17th as done to break the monopoly the GOP had on the Senate, due to statehouse G-M maps.



    It has for Senate elections, as well as seven states with only one Congressman.

    The GOP owns a 2-to-1 edge in 435 Gerry-Mandered House seats--that is my prime focus.
    Texas has 27 GOP Congressman and only 9 Democrats, yet the ratio of GOPs/Dems isn't close to 3-to-1.
    This is why Texas has been on the Judicial Watch list since 1990 for GM.
    It is certainly about the Voting Rights Law that the GOP keeps treying to gut.

    Do you seriously think this current GOP House would vote for an anti-gerrymandering law?
    Putting the fox back in the henhouse would give us the problem over 100 years ago.


    Conservatives on this site actively work for the repeal of ther 17th amendment, as well as the rest of the Progress--ive era .
    I can't see any sensible person supporting repeal of the 17th UNLESS good anti-gerrymandering measures are put in place simultaneously or before such a change.

    If you claim to be a conservative and support removal of 17th without anti-gerrymandering measures you're actually a GOP-supporting hack, not a conservative. That or you have no scruples when it comes to supporting your political ideology.
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  8. #68
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Republic of Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,010

    Re: Judge throws out Florida's congressional map

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    I can't see any sensible person supporting repeal of the 17th UNLESS good anti-gerrymandering measures are put in place simultaneously or before such a change.

    If you claim to be a conservative and support removal of 17th without anti-gerrymandering measures you're actually a GOP-supporting hack, not a conservative. That or you have no scruples when it comes to supporting your political ideology.
    And again, there is some legitimacy to drawing districts to ensure representation of certain groups. In this florida case, blacks are protesting "fair" redistricting because it will make it harder for them to win (because whites are dominate in any area)

  9. #69
    Sage
    Anthony60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Northern New Jersey
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,521

    Re: Judge throws out Florida's congressional map

    I love when the libs decide the founders were wrong, and they are going to fix the Constitution. Just like Obama wanting to fundamentally change it, or ignore it.

    Even with the GM, the founders system of the States picking the Congressmen was better. The States lost their voice in the federal government with the 17th amendment. Not good.
    "We have met the enemy and they are ours..." -- Oliver Hazard Perry
    "I don't want a piece of you... I want the whole thing!" -- Bob Barker

  10. #70
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Republic of Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,010

    Re: Judge throws out Florida's congressional map

    Black Democrats in Congress are sharply criticizing their party’s leadership for supporting efforts to overturn the GOP-drawn congressional map in Florida and cut into Republicans’ House majority.
    Last week, Congressional Black Caucus Chairwoman Marcia Fudge (D-Ohio) sent a sharply worded letter to Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee Chairman Steve Israel (D-N.Y.) complaining about the party’s support for a lawsuit that aims to throw out Florida’s congressional map — changes that could dismantle the gerrymandered seat of CBC member Corrine Brown.


    Read more: CBC, DCCC clash over Fla. redistricting suit - Alex Isenstadt - POLITICO.com
    See, Dems WANT to keep these gerrymandered districts,

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •