Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 31 to 40 of 40

Thread: Ride-Sharing Service Lyft Defies New York City, State Regulators

  1. #31
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:00 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,397

    Re: Ride-Sharing Service Lyft Defies New York City, State Regulators

    Quote Originally Posted by Amandi View Post
    Nope. If a person wants to offer the ridesharing, they have to take the risk that they can get sued if they get an accident. Works both ways.
    Why should a person who's "not worried about safety" get to suddenly become worried about safety when an incident happens? They made their choice based on convenience and cost over safety, so if something happens they should just STFU and live with their decision.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  2. #32
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Ride-Sharing Service Lyft Defies New York City, State Regulators

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Yeah, I mean who wants to bother seeing if the drivers are safe or the vehicles are safe or maintained. Hey, can we apply this to airlines too?
    That's a great idea!

  3. #33
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,716

    Re: Ride-Sharing Service Lyft Defies New York City, State Regulators

    Quote Originally Posted by Ahlevah View Post
    Data would be fine. How many Lyft passengers have been killed versus the number of people killed in/by regulated taxis, limos, buses, and commuter trains?
    No, you can't narrow it specifically to that particular application.

    How many people have been killed by accepting a ride from someone they've never met?
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  4. #34
    Sage

    Ahlevah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Flyoverland
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,897

    Re: Ride-Sharing Service Lyft Defies New York City, State Regulators

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    How many people have been killed by accepting a ride from someone they've never met?
    Really, what does the fact that you never met the person have to do with anything? How many people know their cab, bus, limo, or commuter train driver before they get into their vehicle? Shouldn't you include them in the sample? Besides, aren't most people killed riding with people they know or are acquainted with? According to the Bureau of Justice Statistics, about 75% of men and 88% if women homicide victims are killed by people they know or are acquainted with, so the odds are more people are killed getting into cars with people they know. I imagine, too, most people who die in auto accidents know the people they're riding with. So I don't see how knowing someone is supposed to make you safer. In fact, just the opposite seems to be the case: knowing people is hazardous to your health.

    http://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/htus8008.pdf

    Hitchhiking Statistics
    Нава́льный 2018

  5. #35
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,716

    Re: Ride-Sharing Service Lyft Defies New York City, State Regulators

    Quote Originally Posted by Ahlevah View Post
    Really, what does the fact that you never met the person have to do with anything? How many people know their cab, bus, limo, or commuter train driver before they get into their vehicle? Shouldn't you include them in the sample? Besides, aren't most people killed riding with people they know or are acquainted with? According to the Bureau of Justice Statistics, about 75% of men and 88% if women homicide victims are killed by people they know or are acquainted with, so the odds are more people are killed getting into cars with people they know. I imagine, too, most people who die in auto accidents know the people they're riding with. So I don't see how knowing someone is supposed to make you safer. In fact, just the opposite seems to be the case: knowing people is hazardous to your health.

    http://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/htus8008.pdf

    Hitchhiking Statistics
    Yes, but if you already knew the person you aren't using this app and are therefore not relevant to the discussion.

    The comparison that needs to be made is:

    1) Total strangers
    2) Total strangers who have been properly registered and identified as taxi operators
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  6. #36
    Sage

    Ahlevah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Flyoverland
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,897

    Re: Ride-Sharing Service Lyft Defies New York City, State Regulators

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Yes, but if you already knew the person you aren't using this app and are therefore not relevant to the discussion.

    The comparison that needs to be made is:

    1) Total strangers
    2) Total strangers who have been properly registered and identified as taxi operators
    Now you're just being silly. The BJS and NHTSA don't break down deaths by whether the person entering a vehicle knew the driver. And if it's your contention that knowing the driver is relevant then you need to explain how it's relevant.
    Нава́льный 2018

  7. #37
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Ride-Sharing Service Lyft Defies New York City, State Regulators

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Yes, but if you already knew the person you aren't using this app and are therefore not relevant to the discussion.

    The comparison that needs to be made is:

    1) Total strangers
    2) Total strangers who have been properly registered and identified as taxi operators
    In all fairness, the driver doesn't know the person they're picking up, either. I guess if you just don't want to offer or recieve rides from strangers then just don't participate in the program.

  8. #38
    Educator Amandi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Delaware
    Last Seen
    06-19-15 @ 02:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    905
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Ride-Sharing Service Lyft Defies New York City, State Regulators

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    What is the average settlement for "turns out he was an axe murderer?"
    I would be willing to bet it is zero cents I would be willing to bet that is never been sued over before.

  9. #39
    Educator Amandi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Delaware
    Last Seen
    06-19-15 @ 02:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    905
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Ride-Sharing Service Lyft Defies New York City, State Regulators

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Why should a person who's "not worried about safety" get to suddenly become worried about safety when an incident happens? They made their choice based on convenience and cost over safety, so if something happens they should just STFU and live with their decision.
    Because in the country we live and if you were negligent and caused harm to someone then they can sue you.

  10. #40
    Sage

    Ahlevah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Flyoverland
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,897

    Re: Ride-Sharing Service Lyft Defies New York City, State Regulators

    Нава́льный 2018

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •