Page 28 of 35 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast
Results 271 to 280 of 346

Thread: GOP: Lerner warned IRS employees to hide information...[W:220, 325]

  1. #271
    Guru

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:39 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,671

    Re: GOP: Lerner warned IRS employees to hide information from Congress

    Quote Originally Posted by Mason66 View Post
    At the point Lerner said this, why would she think the emails were going to be subpoenaed by Congress?

    Is that a natural assumption by every head of a department in the IRS? I wouldn't think so.
    She appeared before a senate committee months before. There was considerable talk on the hill before that wanting to investigate the IRS on their lax enforcement of the ban political groups posing as 501c4's. It doesn't take a genius. It's funny to see you guys bend over backwards to put things in the worst possible light while ignoring the obvious.

    Don't you think Lerner would have realized when she was writing that email that it could also be made public? It's like the right wingers live in a universe where everyone they disagree with is Dr. Evil..One part evil genius, one part bumbling fool.

  2. #272
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Republic of Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,026

    Re: GOP: Lerner warned IRS employees to hide information from Congress

    Quote Originally Posted by eohrnberger View Post
    And vice - versa would equally apply. Basis is in the adversarial political system that we have, by design no less. Both parties should be keeping the other party honest, and it actually works sometime.
    Of course. Everyone should be checking everyone to make sure they stay within the laws. Sadly the voters have been negligent in their duties.

  3. #273
    Sage

    Mason66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,459

    Re: GOP: Lerner warned IRS employees to hide information from Congress

    Quote Originally Posted by Awesome! View Post
    Emails missing, cautioning to be careful what to say on emails, pleading the 5th. I just can't see anything remotely suspicious here. Maybe some boneheaded decisions were made etc.

    What we need to be suspicious of is a GOP that doesn't care about education and birth control sigh.
    I will have to assume your post was sarcastic.

  4. #274
    Sage

    Mason66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,459

    Re: GOP: Lerner warned IRS employees to hide information from Congress

    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    Why wouldn't she?
    Because more than any department the IRS is supposed to be non-partisan.

  5. #275
    Sage


    eohrnberger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,864
    Blog Entries
    11

    Re: GOP: Lerner warned IRS employees to hide information from Congress

    Quote Originally Posted by jonny5 View Post
    Of course. Everyone should be checking everyone to make sure they stay within the laws. Sadly the voters have been negligent in their duties.
    Sadly, the voters have been fed misinformation for the last 6 to 7 years.

    The news media has done a woeful job of speak truth to power and holding all branches of the government accountable through their accurate and factual news reporting.
    the Fix-is-in Bureau of Investigation

  6. #276
    Sage


    eohrnberger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,864
    Blog Entries
    11

    Re: GOP: Lerner warned IRS employees to hide information from Congress

    The Washington Post clearly states what others in this forum have been saying, deflating those that call the published emails as 'nothing' and who are not standing on solid ground with this position.
    In a stunning revelation this week, it was disclosed that former IRS official Lois Lerner told colleagues, “we need to be cautious about what we say in emails” and then proceeded to ask the IRS IT department, in an e-mail, “if [instant messaging] conversations were also searchable.” When she was told they were not, she e-mailed back, “Perfect.” This is a smoking gun e-mail in that it makes plain she had a cover-up in mind. There is no other plausible explanation.
    The Insiders: More IRS smidgens show up. ‘Perfect.’ - The Washington Post

    Others have correctly observed that of all the government agencies and departments, the IRS has to be as impartial and nonpartisan as is possible, by the very nature of it's function.

    Perhaps it should only be staffed by sworn independent voters with a demonstrated history of the same?
    the Fix-is-in Bureau of Investigation

  7. #277
    Sage
    AlbqOwl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Mexico
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,523
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: GOP: Lerner warned IRS employees to hide information from Congress

    Quote Originally Posted by Mithros View Post
    She appeared before a senate committee months before. There was considerable talk on the hill before that wanting to investigate the IRS on their lax enforcement of the ban political groups posing as 501c4's. It doesn't take a genius. It's funny to see you guys bend over backwards to put things in the worst possible light while ignoring the obvious.

    Don't you think Lerner would have realized when she was writing that email that it could also be made public? It's like the right wingers live in a universe where everyone they disagree with is Dr. Evil..One part evil genius, one part bumbling fool.
    Or we could take the view that most liberals aren't the brightest bulbs on the planet or they wouldn't be liberals. See how easy it is to demonize something instead of using critical thinking to analyze it?

    Lois Lerner was operating in an environment controlled and directed by the most liberal administration this nation has ever seen, the most intrusive, the most authoritarian, and the most proactive in attacking and going after enemies of the 'cause'. She is probably pretty angry that Obama and his staff did not protect her from having to testify before the House committee, but, almost certainly in an effort to remove her from public scrutiny, they put her on administrative leave at full salary of $177,000 plus generous federal benefits. Eventually, many months later, they had her step down with full retirement ($102,600) and benefits of course. If she and/or her husband live a normal life span, she will collect well over $3 million dollars in taxpayer benefits as a retiree.

    And this after taking the Fifth rather than doing her job and explaining to Congress and the American people what happened within a government agency.
    "I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it." --Benjamin Franklin 1776

  8. #278
    Guru

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:39 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,671

    Re: GOP: Lerner warned IRS employees to hide information from Congress

    Quote Originally Posted by AlbqOwl View Post
    Or we could take the view that most liberals aren't the brightest bulbs on the planet or they wouldn't be liberals. See how easy it is to demonize something instead of using critical thinking to analyze it?

    Lois Lerner was operating in an environment controlled and directed by the most liberal administration this nation has ever seen, the most intrusive, the most authoritarian, and the most proactive in attacking and going after enemies of the 'cause'. She is probably pretty angry that Obama and his staff did not protect her from having to testify before the House committee, but, almost certainly in an effort to remove her from public scrutiny, they put her on administrative leave at full salary of $177,000 plus generous federal benefits. Eventually, many months later, they had her step down with full retirement ($102,600) and benefits of course. If she and/or her husband live a normal life span, she will collect well over $3 million dollars in taxpayer benefits as a retiree.

    And this after taking the Fifth rather than doing her job and explaining to Congress and the American people what happened within a government agency.
    You claim critical thinking skills and then call this administration the most liberal, intrusive, authoritarian, and proactive. You seem to be confusing the idea of criticizing with critical thought. I know they sound the same, but stringing together a sequence of insults isn't critical thinking.

    It's probably a good idea to practice critical thinking before writing about it. So here's a start. Lerner was appointed by Reagan. Then she became head of the tax exempt division in 2006 under appointment from Bush. Anyone who's ever worked with her has called her largely apolitical, plodding, and meticulous about following the rules. Did Obama orchestrate this supposed conspiracy back in 1981? Would any rational person think that delaying the application of groups trying to annonomize political donations would somehow steal an election? Especially considering that none of the groups actually even had to go through the application process?

    Critical thinking says that this entire conspiracy theory is laughably absurd.

  9. #279
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,153

    Re: GOP: Lerner warned IRS employees to hide information from Congress

    Quote Originally Posted by Mithros View Post
    You claim critical thinking skills and then call this administration the most liberal, intrusive, authoritarian, and proactive. You seem to be confusing the idea of criticizing with critical thought. I know they sound the same, but stringing together a sequence of insults isn't critical thinking.

    It's probably a good idea to practice critical thinking before writing about it. So here's a start. Lerner was appointed by Reagan. Then she became head of the tax exempt division in 2006 under appointment from Bush. Anyone who's ever worked with her has called her largely apolitical, plodding, and meticulous about following the rules. Did Obama orchestrate this supposed conspiracy back in 1981? Would any rational person think that delaying the application of groups trying to annonomize political donations would somehow steal an election? Especially considering that none of the groups actually even had to go through the application process?

    Critical thinking says that this entire conspiracy theory is laughably absurd.
    Huh? Lerner was appointed by Reagan as what?

  10. #280
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Last Seen
    01-12-16 @ 01:33 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    260

    Re: GOP: Lerner warned IRS employees to hide information from Congress

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    I look forward to that.I hope that when a conservative is president he uses his pen to strip planned parenthood of the funding it gets from the government.

    Yes then we can all ignore it and say this is just a phony scandal.

Page 28 of 35 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •