Page 10 of 32 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 317

Thread: Indiana won't recognize same-sex marriages

  1. #91
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Melbourne Florida
    Last Seen
    04-18-17 @ 03:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    16,763

    Re: Indiana won't recognize same-sex marriages

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    Nope. The bigots are just going to have to learn to live with freedom and equality in America. If they don't like it, it is they who can choose to live somewhere where freedom and equality are not valued.
    SSM is not about "equality". Never has been never will be.

  2. #92
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    11-18-15 @ 01:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    440

    Re: Indiana won't recognize same-sex marriages

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    Well, that's what I've since come to understand. That a Federal judge stepped in. However, the governor, if he was going to step in, in my opinion, should have done so before any licenses were issued. It's not like this litigation was a surprise. The governor knew it was going on and knew a decision was imminent.

    It is very unfair, in my opinion, that people who were issued a license and got married now find out they aren't. IOW, the governor should have immediately acted to stop issuance of marriage licenses to these people.
    I don't think the Governor could have prevented them from getting a marriage license. That's pretty much the whole point in the U.S. district court's ruling.

    I don't think it's unfair either. I mean they only gained the "right" to marry because an activist judge stepped in and basically declared they had that right. Anyone with half a brain had to know that wasn't going to last. It took all of two days for a higher court to stay that decision. Again, legislating from the bench is a terrible idea. It's also a terrible idea for executive level politicians to pick and choose which laws they want to enforce. We're going down a very slippery slope with all of this selectively enforced stuff.

  3. #93
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    11-18-15 @ 01:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    440

    Re: Indiana won't recognize same-sex marriages

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    Nope. The bigots are just going to have to learn to live with freedom and equality in America. If they don't like it, it is they who can choose to live somewhere where freedom and equality are not valued.
    In all seriousness, is it possible for someone to hold a different opinion than you without you calling them a bigot of some variety?

    It's getting pretty old.

    I know, I know. This post proves I'm a bigot.

  4. #94
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 07:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,144

    Re: Indiana won't recognize same-sex marriages

    Quote Originally Posted by CRUE CAB View Post
    SSM is not about "equality". Never has been never will be.
    That's like saying that desegration laws are not about equality. Doh!
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  5. #95
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 07:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,144

    Re: Indiana won't recognize same-sex marriages

    Quote Originally Posted by shavingcollywob View Post
    In all seriousness, is it possible for someone to hold a different opinion than you without you calling them a bigot of some variety?

    It's getting pretty old.

    I know, I know. This post proves I'm a bigot.
    There are a lot of people that hold different opinions that are not bigots. However, in this context the person clearly is a bigot. Plain and simple....and no, I wouldn't say your post proves that you are bigoted, because you haven't said anything bigoted.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  6. #96
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Indiana won't recognize same-sex marriages

    Quote Originally Posted by shavingcollywob View Post
    I don't think the Governor could have prevented them from getting a marriage license. That's pretty much the whole point in the U.S. district court's ruling.

    I don't think it's unfair either. I mean they only gained the "right" to marry because an activist judge stepped in and basically declared they had that right. Anyone with half a brain had to know that wasn't going to last. It took all of two days for a higher court to stay that decision. Again, legislating from the bench is a terrible idea. It's also a terrible idea for executive level politicians to pick and choose which laws they want to enforce. We're going down a very slippery slope with all of this selectively enforced stuff.
    Well, I must say several posts (yours included) have given me pause to reconsider. I agree with you re that slippery slope, by the way.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  7. #97
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    11-18-15 @ 01:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    440

    Re: Indiana won't recognize same-sex marriages

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    Well, I must say several posts (yours included) have given me pause to reconsider. I agree with you re that slippery slope, by the way.
    I'm not even against gay marriage but I think this is the wrong way to go about it. The end result is people who are married on one day but not married the next.

    I live in New York City where borough DAs have begun announcing which laws they will and will not enforce. It's incredible that in Brooklyn smoking pot is de facto legal while in Queens it is not, despite the exact same law. Again, I'm not even against pot but this is the wrong way to go about it.

  8. #98
    Educator Amandi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Delaware
    Last Seen
    06-19-15 @ 02:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    905
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Indiana won't recognize same-sex marriages

    Quote Originally Posted by CRUE CAB View Post
    SSM is not about "equality". Never has been never will be.
    Can you please elaborate why you think this?

  9. #99
    Sage
    Slyfox696's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    7,982

    Re: Indiana won't recognize same-sex marriages

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    Not quite - I simply provided my assessment, based on experience and observation, of how conservatives and liberals approach government policy.
    No, you didn't. You made a blanket statement about "liberals", without ever qualifying which ones or how many.

    I'm not a liberal, I honestly don't care what people think of them, but the fact is you generalized about all of them in your statement. It's just a fact.

  10. #100
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,190

    Re: Indiana won't recognize same-sex marriages

    Quote Originally Posted by Slyfox696 View Post
    No, you didn't. You made a blanket statement about "liberals", without ever qualifying which ones or how many.

    I'm not a liberal, I honestly don't care what people think of them, but the fact is you generalized about all of them in your statement. It's just a fact.
    If you don't care, then I hardly see any value in responding to your misinterpretation of my views. I generally don't comment on things I don't care about. You might want to take up the approach.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

Page 10 of 32 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •