Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 212

Thread: WAL-MART CEO: Things Aren't Getting Better For America's Middle Class

  1. #31
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: WAL-MART CEO: Things Aren't Getting Better For America's Middle Class

    Quote Originally Posted by What if...? View Post
    So how many generations before all the desperate people on the planet come up to a level where it starts to push up American wages again?
    When the working population wakes up on an individual level and decides that a particular job is worth more than what is being offered in pay....If an employer can't get, or keep people in a certain job because of wage, then they will raise the wage.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  2. #32
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    12,422
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: WAL-MART CEO: Things Aren't Getting Better For America's Middle Class

    Quote Originally Posted by fmw View Post
    That has nothing to do with it. It is a matter of supply/demand within the U.S. economy.
    "Within" my ass.

    Its the direct competition with desperate people ELSEWHERE that is depressing wages here.
    Anyone wondering what I'm talking about start here:
    The Psychology of Persuasion

  3. #33
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    12,422
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: WAL-MART CEO: Things Aren't Getting Better For America's Middle Class

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    When the working population wakes up on an individual level and decides that a particular job is worth more than what is being offered in pay....If an employer can't get, or keep people in a certain job because of wage, then they will raise the wage.
    When that happened in china, business started moving to the next desperate population.

    So how long until there are no new desperate populations to move to?

    Its already been almost forty years, so that's two. Two three more, minimum?

    And do you think that will happen before fighting breaks out over resources?
    Anyone wondering what I'm talking about start here:
    The Psychology of Persuasion

  4. #34
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: WAL-MART CEO: Things Aren't Getting Better For America's Middle Class

    Quote Originally Posted by What if...? View Post
    When that happened in china, business started moving to the next desperate population.

    So how long until there are no new desperate populations to move to?

    Its already been almost forty years, so that's two. Two three more, minimum?

    And do you think that will happen before fighting breaks out over resources?

    I think China's system is slightly different than ours, but with that said, some will listen to their employees, some won't..My guess is that those that won't will be out of business long before those that did...

    They say much is cyclical in our society, and that is true to an extent I guess...Another answer to your question is Unions....AS MUCH as I DETEST Unions, I think that if business doesn't respond to people's desires for better wage in a rational, fair way, then it leaves the door open.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  5. #35
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    12,422
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: WAL-MART CEO: Things Aren't Getting Better For America's Middle Class

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    I think China's system is slightly different than ours, but with that said, some will listen to their employees, some won't..My guess is that those that won't will be out of business long before those that did...

    They say much is cyclical in our society, and that is true to an extent I guess...Another answer to your question is Unions....AS MUCH as I DETEST Unions, I think that if business doesn't respond to people's desires for better wage in a rational, fair way, then it leaves the door open.

    I think they try that from time to time in the third world.

    Doesn't end well for them.
    Anyone wondering what I'm talking about start here:
    The Psychology of Persuasion

  6. #36
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 11:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: WAL-MART CEO: Things Aren't Getting Better For America's Middle Class

    Quote Originally Posted by DA60 View Post
    'BENTONVILLE Arkansas (Reuters) - U.S. employers may be hiring again, but the job market's recovery is not giving ordinary consumers enough confidence to increase their spending, a top Wal-Mart <WMT.N> executive said on Monday.
    In an interview with Reuters at the retailer’s headquarters, Bill Simon, the president and chief executive officer of Wal-Mart U.S., said, “It's really hard to see in our business today … that it's gotten any better.”

    He added: “We’ve reached a point where it’s not getting any better but it’s not getting any worse – at least for the middle (class) and down."'

    Wal-Mart: US Job Rebound Not Spurring Spending - Business Insider


    So much for this great recovery...
    Took him twenty years to admit!!
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

  7. #37
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 11:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: WAL-MART CEO: Things Aren't Getting Better For America's Middle Class

    Quote Originally Posted by Henry David View Post
    On a fairly regular basis, Paul Craig Roberts explains the tiny details of how and why the government's numbers regarding employment and inflation are but smoke & mirrors.

    I know too many people who cannot find a job to believe the government's numbers on unemployment.

    I'm surprised to see the WalMart dude make his comments public. He is much closer to the truth than so many others.
    He's the co-author of Reaganomics!
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

  8. #38
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 11:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: WAL-MART CEO: Things Aren't Getting Better For America's Middle Class

    Quote Originally Posted by DA60 View Post
    I don't think the government is lying (they are too smart for that)...but I think they are knowingly tabulating and presenting the numbers (both the CPI and the U-3) in a way that provides a greatly distorted view of the reality on Main Street.

    The CPI as an inflation indicator is a joke....it is at best an inflation/cost-of-living hybrid.

    And the unemployment rate is falling because people are leaving the workforce...period.

    Just look at last month...288,000 jobs created.
    But look at the household survey numbers and you see that 799K part time jobs were created but 523K full time jobs were lost for a net loss in total hours worked. So it was a negative report but is reported as a good one.

    The U-3 is the same...it's a joke because it ignores discouraged workers.

    I ignore the headline numbers and the major media reports (they are clueless, IMO) and read the fine print...that is where the story is.


    It seems clear to me that this is a Mercedes/McDonald's recovery - with little in between; the Fed is indirectly pumping up the stock markets (GREATLY helping the rich) and gov't./Fed programs are causing rises in crappy jobs for a reduction in solid jobs (quantity over quality).

    So the rich get richer and the economy looks decent because the U-3 does not count discouraged workers AND part time jobs are counted equal to full time jobs.

    And the masses/media are too naive and/or too ignorant and/or too partisan to notice.
    "Figures lie, and liars figure" Samuel Clemens
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

  9. #39
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,082

    Re: WAL-MART CEO: Things Aren't Getting Better For America's Middle Class

    Quote Originally Posted by DA60 View Post
    'BENTONVILLE Arkansas (Reuters) - U.S. employers may be hiring again, but the job market's recovery is not giving ordinary consumers enough confidence to increase their spending, a top Wal-Mart <WMT.N> executive said on Monday.
    In an interview with Reuters at the retailer’s headquarters, Bill Simon, the president and chief executive officer of Wal-Mart U.S., said, “It's really hard to see in our business today … that it's gotten any better.”

    He added: “We’ve reached a point where it’s not getting any better but it’s not getting any worse – at least for the middle (class) and down."'

    Wal-Mart: US Job Rebound Not Spurring Spending - Business Insider


    So much for this great recovery...
    1. This guy is clearly a racist. President Obama's policies have lifted us out of the recession, out of the ditch, and we are now all doing wonderfully. So Mr Wal-Mart CEO is obviously wrong.


    2. This also only goes to prove that even rich evil corporatist republicans admit when you catch them off-guard that wealth inequality is causing the middle class and poor people to see artificially depressed wages, proving that President Obama's call for higher wealth redistribution is the only thing that can save us from this crises. Which doesn't exist. Until it needs to.

  10. #40
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    11-18-15 @ 01:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    440

    Re: WAL-MART CEO: Things Aren't Getting Better For America's Middle Class

    Quote Originally Posted by What if...? View Post
    "Within" my ass.

    Its the direct competition with desperate people ELSEWHERE that is depressing wages here.
    That's not true. It's absurd labor and environmental laws that are depressing wages here.

    Manufacturers wouldn't bring jobs back to the United States even if workers agreed to half what a Chinese factory worker was making.

Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •