Page 5 of 41 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 403

Thread: Only 20% Think Debate About Global Warming Is Over

  1. #41
    Guru

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Seen
    10-01-17 @ 10:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    4,498

    Re: Only 20% Think Debate About Global Warming Is Over

    Quote Originally Posted by Verax View Post
    This is the result of ignorance. People who don't understand science but think they do. I will never understand why people think that an idea they had while looking out the window is just as valid as a scientist... A professional, a person who went to college and got a degree, who spent many years studying after college and while working in the field many years as a career.

    I've said this many times in the environmental forum and I will say it again here. Almost all of the questions about global warming can be answered simply by reading an introductory science textbook. The remaining questions can be answered by studying climate science and reading the IPCC's reports.

    If you don't know anything about these things, you should not have an opinion that you think AGW is X(anything), because you have no idea. If you are going to have an opinion at least do a bare minimum of research and learn basic science first, it is not that hard at all. If you don't do this, you are at the mercy of whatever nonsense is spewed from television, radio, the internet. It is laughably stupid and you will immediately spot it once you learn a few basic things.
    I've said this over over again. If environmentalists wish to alarm me with their data about global warming - or whatever they want to call it now, they'd better show they are truly alarmed about global warming.

    If global warming is chronic (It may be or not, who knows, maybe it's cyclic? All we have is visual data of receding ice around the poles and we don't know what causes it) and earth threatening, wouldn't anyone try anything to cool the earth? For example, shoot debris in the upper atmosphere to help create a mini ice age?

    Do you know there are 3 major greenhouse gases that could theoretically trap heat in the atmosphere? (1)Water vapor is the most prevalent - at 95% of all greenhouse gases. (2)CO2 is the second highest in concentration at under 5% of total greenhouse gases. (3)Methane has been scientifically proven to be approximately 25 times more effective in trapping heat in the atmosphere than CO2.

    What do environmentalists who believe greenhouse gases cause a deadly heating of the earth propose to stop global warming? Solely eliminating CO2? Really? That's your answer? That's your show of concern? ARE YOU CONCERNED? If you aren't concerned, why should I be concerned?
    Last edited by cabse5; 07-11-14 at 09:43 AM.

  2. #42
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: Only 20% Think Debate About Global Warming Is Over

    Quote Originally Posted by Smeagol View Post
    Whether its settled or not, what's frustrating to me is we should all agree that radical middle eastern extremists have painted a bulls eye on our backs and have targeted America. The one sure way to drive them into bankruptcy is by modernizing our transportation.
    I know this will be shocking Smeagol, but I agree...And I do think that the majority of American's although skeptical of the AGW rhetoric that wants to control their energy use through enslaving them to a carbon credit exchange scheme that really is no more than creation out of whole cloth of a parallel fiat currency, they want to see innovation that is cleaner, reliable, less expensive than what they shell out now, and realistic.

    I think that most would agree that we could make the ME oil imports largely irrelevant if we truly exploited our own energy right here in this country while we transition. I have often wondered why our transportation system doesn't transition over to natural gas right now....It would be a relatively easy switch, and infrastructure is in place for it...Burns cleaner, and we have so much more than the petroleum products we currently make. But it would be cheaper than gas, and possibly slow down the need for all this 'green' nonsense, so we are manipulated by not getting it.

    In doing this, we simultaneously defund the brutal dictators that have more control over the US than any president since Dwight Eisenhower. We also end any "vital interest" need to be entangled in middle eastern affairs and marriages of convenience with homicidal tyrants. To complain its just to expensive is to ignore the business model of every new technology to hit the market since the personal computer: extensive at first but in short order just by being on the market prices drastically drop while the product drastically improves.
    I don't think you'd get much argument for this part, and rational people would like to see that as well, but the alternatives that are being rolled out now are unreliable, costly, don't offer the same service as what is in place, and are being crammed down our throats without regard for if they are truly helping or not. It is crony capitalism.

    To say its just too expensive is to completely ignore the costs of the war on terror and the
    war in Iraq, neither of which would have occurred if not for the indirect connection they have to our oil dependency.
    And I believe that is too simplistic. Whether or not you believe that removing Saddam Hussein was the right course of action at the time, done is done. I think one thing that achieved is if nothing else made American's on both sides of the isle very skiddish about getting involved in things like that in the future. Or not, I learned not to under estimate the lack of intellectual ability of those we send to DC to represent us.

    We have the power to defeat terrorism but it seems many of my conservative friends would rather not do that if it means cooperating with their fellow Americans with because our would be common objective is not driven by the same motive.
    As long as rational liberals bow to authoritarian progressives to run the show in this regard, and abandon civil, rational discourse rather than heavy handed definitions of "cooperation" meaning "do it my way, or be destroyed", then common objective or not, all we are accomplishing is division....Which IMHO, seems to be the goal of the current make up of the party in charge right now.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  3. #43
    Assassin
    Verax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    9,409

    Re: Only 20% Think Debate About Global Warming Is Over

    Quote Originally Posted by cabse5 View Post
    I've said this over over again. If environmentalists wish to alarm me with their data about global warming - or whatever they want to call it now, they'd better show they are truly alarmed about global warming.

    If global warming is chronic (It may be or not, who knows, maybe it's cyclic? All we have is visual data of receding ice around the poles and we don't know what causes it) and earth threatening, wouldn't anyone try anything to cool the earth? For example, shoot debris in the upper atmosphere to help create a mini ice age?

    Do you know there are 3 major greenhouse gases that could theoretically trap heat in the atmosphere? (1)Water vapor is the most prevalent - at 95% of all greenhouse gases. (2)CO2 is the second highest in concentration at under 5% of total greenhouse gases. (3)Methane has been scientifically proven to be approximately 25 times more effective in trapping heat in the atmosphere than CO2.

    What do environmentalists who believe greenhouse gases cause a deadly heating of the earth propose to stop global warming? Solely eliminating CO2? Really? That's your answer? That's your show of concern? ARE YOU CONCERNED? If you aren't concerned, why should I be concerned?
    Everything you talked about has been taken in account in the climate science underpinning AGW, if you educated yourself on the matter as I suggested you would know this.

    Curbing Co2 emission is one of the mitigation strategies. Many proposals have been made such as ejecting sea water up into the sky. The less carbon we put in the air the less warming problems we have to deal with in the first place which means mitigation strategies will require less scope so it makes sense to do that first and if we need to take additional steps then we'll do that as well.

    Yes I am concerned, mostly because people aren't listening to the scientists as this survey seems to show. It is a global problem that takes a global solution which means a lot of people working together. It is a terribly difficult problem to solve not so much because of technical limitations, but because of human nature.

  4. #44
    Guru

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Seen
    10-01-17 @ 10:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    4,498

    Re: Only 20% Think Debate About Global Warming Is Over

    I don't know if there is chronic global warming or not.. no one has provided the proof. AGW.. so man is the only causer of global warming. Give me scientific facts. Not your ideology. Your anti-pollution ideology.

    Water vapor is always in the atmosphere. It's a never-ending cycle. Rain to water vapor to rain.

    You just admitted global warming isn't a chronic and debilitating situation: "so it makes sense to do that first <reduce CO2, because global warming is man made, don't you know>and if we need to take additional steps then we'll do that as well." I wondering, wait, I know environmentalists are more concerned with man's effect on environment than the evils of global warming.
    Last edited by cabse5; 07-11-14 at 01:01 PM.

  5. #45
    Pontificator
    iliveonramen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    On a Gravy Train with Biscuit Wheels
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    9,152

    Re: Only 20% Think Debate About Global Warming Is Over

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenton View Post
    Huh ?

    I'm referring to the " science " that is supposedly monitoring the increase in temperature.

    Your assertions should be backed by something objective, but without ACCURATE data your assertions are only opinions.
    I'm sorry but I'm not up on your conspiracy theories....so every global research agency that does any sort of measurement of climate and climate patters are lying? How about all the scientists that research animals and habitats that have signaled warnings that they are seeing long term shifts in those habitats that are explained by global climate change?

    You can wipe away all of science by claiming all of it is made up but that doesn't prove your case...it just makes you look you're a nut job
    “Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest good of everyone.” John Maynard Keynes

  6. #46
    Sage
    AlbqOwl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Mexico
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,486
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Only 20% Think Debate About Global Warming Is Over

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    Didn't you just do exactly what you claim j-mac was doing - i.e. insult him for posting a poll rather than debate the merits of the poll?

    Part of the problem with environmental science is that it is entirely counter to people's own experiences and all of the remedies appear to be ones that almost totally destroy the lifestyle people have worked hard to create. No wonder people, those well informed and those not well informed, challenge the validity of the "science" presented to them.
    That is what the AGW religionists just don't get. When we skeptics--and a skeptic is not the same thing as a denier despite how many times the AGW religionists say they are--when we skeptics observe again and again that what they say is happening doesn't happen, you have to think there is good reason to back up and look at it all more objectively or with a critical eye. If the popular scientific view was that there is no gravity, a great many of us would question that purely based on our observation that nothing that falls ever falls in any direction but down.

    When we skeptics can observe that the doomday prophecies of the AGW cult fail to materialize again and again and again, we have to question whether anybody really knows what they are talking about. And when we observe that those promoting the AGW cult themselves do not demonstrate lifestyles that suggest they are in any way personally concerned about AGW, you have to question how deeply they believe it themselves. And when you observe that so very few scientists who are NOT receiving grant monies to promote AGW are buying into the doctrine, you wonder how much politics and money is running the show.

    It is not a matter of being anti-science. It is a matter of observing the obvious.
    "I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it." --Benjamin Franklin 1776

  7. #47
    Wrinkly member
    Manc Skipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Southern England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    23,144

    Re: Only 20% Think Debate About Global Warming Is Over

    Quote Originally Posted by cabse5 View Post
    I don't know if there is chronic global warming or not.. no one has provided the proof. AGW.. so man is the only causer of global warming. Give me scientific facts. Not your ideology. Your anti-pollution ideology.

    Water vapor is always in the atmosphere. It's a never-ending cycle. Rain to water vapor to rain.

    You just admitted global warming isn't a chronic and debilitating situation: "so it makes sense to do that first <reduce CO2, because global warming is man made, don't you know>and if we need to take additional steps then we'll do that as well." I wondering, wait, I know environmentalists are more concerned with man's effect on environment than the evils of global warming.
    Nobody mkes the strawman argument you set up. Man has contributed millions of tons of the greenhouse gas Co2 into the atmosphere since the industrial revolution, and you nonsensically opine that scientists who actually know what they are talking about are all part of a global conspiracy.
    Don't work out, work in.

    Never eat anything that's served in a bucket.

  8. #48
    Sage
    Fenton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,210

    Re: Only 20% Think Debate About Global Warming Is Over

    Quote Originally Posted by Manc Skipper View Post
    Nobody mkes the strawman argument you set up. Man has contributed millions of tons of the greenhouse gas Co2 into the atmosphere since the industrial revolution, and you nonsensically opine that scientists who actually know what they are talking about are all part of a global conspiracy.
    They're using computer models to justify huge tax increases and sub-standard technology.

    You guys lost allot of credibility when the Politicians you defend promised to save the world....for a price.
    The New Democratic Party Slogan :

    " Return to Power By Any Means Necessary "

  9. #49
    Tavern Bartender
    Pussy Grabbin' Beaver
    Middleground's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Canada's Capital
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    22,449
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Only 20% Think Debate About Global Warming Is Over

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenton View Post
    " Green energy " or renewable energy technology is a huge joke right now.
    Yes, I know. Extracting oil from sand, blowing off mountain tops and mixing water with horrible chemicals into the ground to extract shale is just SO MUCH BETTER!!!!11!!!!1
    “No men are anywhere, and I’m allowed to go in, because I’m the owner of the pageant and therefore I’m inspecting it,” Trump said... “‘Is everyone OK’? You know, they’re standing there with no clothes. ‘Is everybody OK?’ And you see these incredible looking women, and so I sort of get away with things like that.”

  10. #50
    Quantum sufficit

    Threegoofs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The birthplace of Italian Beef
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    26,518

    Re: Only 20% Think Debate About Global Warming Is Over

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    From highly insulting people that think that those that disagree with them are somehow just north of mentally handicapped, to the mockery of the disciple of Gorentology that comes at you with the viciousness of a typical cult member when their religion is under question, it is clear that the majority of voters in this country don't buy the lie that the case is settled, that the argument is over...

    Back to fringe obscurity GW lunatics.
    Hmmm. So the fringe goes wild when multiple surveys of publishing climate scientists show 97% agreement that AGW is real and a problem.

    Then a survey of the general public comes out and the fringe tries to make the case that AGW is still unsettled.

    Funny.
    Many Trump supporters have lots of problems, and those deplorables are bringing those problems to us. They’re racists. They’re misogynists. They’re islamophobic. They're xenophobes and homophobes. And some, I assume, are good people.

Page 5 of 41 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •