Page 21 of 41 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 210 of 403

Thread: Only 20% Think Debate About Global Warming Is Over

  1. #201
    Quantum sufficit

    Threegoofs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The birthplace of Italian Beef
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    26,661

    Re: Only 20% Think Debate About Global Warming Is Over

    Quote Originally Posted by longview View Post
    Goofs, A comment was made in post 185 that,

    This is not in agreement with the GISS data, or any of the others I know of.
    If one of the data sets show that kind of increase, I would like to know which one.
    I am guessing you cannot cite the data set ether.
    So if Verax said 31 years you would berate him for underestimating the warming?
    Many Trump supporters have lots of problems, and those deplorables are bringing those problems to us. They’re racists. They’re misogynists. They’re islamophobic. They're xenophobes and homophobes. And some, I assume, are good people.

  2. #202
    Sage
    longview's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    14,374

    Re: Only 20% Think Debate About Global Warming Is Over

    Quote Originally Posted by Threegoofs View Post
    So if Verax said 31 years you would berate him for underestimating the warming?
    I did not come up with the .7C in the last 30 years number.
    If there is a data set that shows this, I would like to see it.
    I just ran a quick calculation, for a 30 year delta for the GISS data.
    Only 1 year, in the last 133, shows greater than a .7 C delta for a 30 year period, 1976-2006.

  3. #203
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Only 20% Think Debate About Global Warming Is Over

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    So everybody that says it's a hoax is keeping an open mind?

    If you really think so, I gave you too much credit before.
    Many people are unclear on this issue but this site helps explain things to the layman. Earth ‘Serially Doomed’: UN Issues New 15 Year Climate Tipping Point – But UN Issued Tipping Points in 1982 & Another 10-Year Tipping Point in 1989! | Climate Depot

  4. #204
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,191

    Re: Only 20% Think Debate About Global Warming Is Over

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Not surprisingly, your post is so completely unrelated to mine that it's laughable.

    Do you have an open mind about warming, or have you already decided that it's not true? If you have already decided, then you are in the 20% that believes the issue is settled and proves my point that some people on the "hoax" side believe it is settled.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  5. #205
    Sage
    Tim the plumber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Sheffield
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,315

    Re: Only 20% Think Debate About Global Warming Is Over

    Quote Originally Posted by Verax View Post
    The two posts are different aspects, perspectives of the global warming debate. Do you only think in black and white terms? Absolutes?
    You cannot say in one breath that only those who have a basic understanding of science should participate in AGW debate and then say that you do not understand science whilst being in this forum. Choose 1.

    One of the biggest reasons I advocate potential skeptics to educate themselves are because of silly denier myths that are perpetuated through a lack of basic understanding of science.
    The skeptics on this forum have, in general, a much better understanding of science than you do. I include myself in that.

    Here is a page that debunks over 100 of them, they are very basic and simple but you will see people making these silly arguments in the environmental forum on a weekly basis. A basic understanding would bypass this.

    Arguments from Global Warming Skeptics and what the science really says
    I got to 12. All of them are either wrong or utterly disingenuous. You have had many of the points explained to you and have no excuse for regurgitating them again.

    You then make a leap in logic Evel Knievel could not fathom and go from learning basic science to challenging the global mainstream scientific community because of a one paragraph forum post that you think debunks everything. This shows a lack of critical thinking skills on your part and an almost childlike understanding of well reasoned science and debate. Do you really think it can all be boiled down to such a simplistic position? Do you know what all else effects what Longview is talking about? You don't and neither do I, guess who does... climate scientists. Do you know what all could be missing from the equation?
    Whatever your point is in this paragraph you have made it badly. That Longview can explain his position clearly in a brief way is good.

    It has warmed .7C in the last 30 years, that is REALLY rapid warming that is already effecting ecosystems around the world. That is 2.33C a century. Do you know how likely it is for the rate of warming to increase? Do you know what will stop it? Do you know what other factors could be in play right now that are contributing to weaker than expected warming? I know a few answers to these, do you? This rate of warming is already enough to cause massive consequences in the near and long term, so I'm not sure what you think is so revealing here.
    It has warmed by 0.7c between 1970 and 2000. Since then it has stopped warming. That sort of climate variability is not at all unusual as shown by any long term temperature record. We have only got thermometer record for a very short duration. You have less idea as to what the science is than me.

    The point is thousands of scientists around the world hold the position that these things are of critical importance that are in urgent need of mitigation.
    You have any evidence that thousands of scientist think this? I would agree with the statement that human activity has warmed the planet up a bit. Everyone would. That is a different statement.

    I would tend to trust them over anyone else.
    Without the ability or willingness to make your own conclusions you should stay out of the debate. As per your argument.

    As I stated before I would question my own understanding first before I questioned them. If you really think very basic glances at the data reveals an unimportant conclusion, I would guess you're probably out of your league and don't understand the issue.
    I understand that you are out of your league. I do not argue about the effects of CO2 or of any additional forcing factors. That is beyond my science. I can see that there are clearly those who do understand a lot more than I do who disagree with the notion that there are any net positive factors. I stay out of that debate however. I would be out of my depth.

    I restrict my input to pointing out that the effects of AGW upon ice melt and sea level is way exaggerated in the IPCC reports and to also explaining that actually even if you go with their over blown numbers there is very little to worry about.

    You have a religious perspective on this issue.

  6. #206
    Sage
    Tim the plumber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Sheffield
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,315

    Re: Only 20% Think Debate About Global Warming Is Over

    Originally Posted by longview View Post
    I am not sure which data set shows annual warming of .7 C over the last 30 years. Please cite!
    GISS says 1983 to 2013 was .3 C.
    Quote Originally Posted by Threegoofs View Post
    How amazingly odd that you haven't seen the GISS graph, yet you've been discussing this for months.

    The graph shows a temperature 30 years ago of about 0.3 and 0.8 now. That's 0.5. There are various data sets.

  7. #207
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Only 20% Think Debate About Global Warming Is Over

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    Not surprisingly, your post is so completely unrelated to mine that it's laughable.

    Do you have an open mind about warming, or have you already decided that it's not true? If you have already decided, then you are in the 20% that believes the issue is settled and proves my point that some people on the "hoax" side believe it is settled.
    I am aware that hoaxes have been played on the gullible for centuries and continues to this day. This is why I'm always skeptical of these 'end of the world' scenarios, as well as the Al Gores and the Bernie Madoffs, and instead look to the money trail. My suspicions increase when skeptics are referred as 'deniers', by those who are convinced the truth has been established and will go to any lengths to support that 'truth'. It has become a religion, not a science.

  8. #208
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,191

    Re: Only 20% Think Debate About Global Warming Is Over

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    I am aware that hoaxes have been played on the gullible for centuries and continues to this day. This is why I'm always skeptical of these 'end of the world' scenarios, as well as the Al Gores and the Bernie Madoffs, and instead look to the money trail. My suspicions increase when skeptics are referred as 'deniers', by those who are convinced the truth has been established and will go to any lengths to support that 'truth'. It has become a religion, not a science.
    Didn't answer the question. Do you have an open mind, or is your mind made up?


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  9. #209
    Quantum sufficit

    Threegoofs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The birthplace of Italian Beef
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    26,661

    Re: Only 20% Think Debate About Global Warming Is Over

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Just to be clear- that was written by a political operative who basically acts as a spokesman to oil companies.

    And it's interesting that the 1982 article says nothing about AGW, but is a note on environmental status, which in the places which took no action HAS deteriorated significantly.

    And in 1989 the UN did nail it- there was about 10 years to figure out how to address it. And the IPCC was formed to do just that! The implementation, however has been slowed by knuckle draggers who put statements from corporate shills above those of scientists.
    Many Trump supporters have lots of problems, and those deplorables are bringing those problems to us. They’re racists. They’re misogynists. They’re islamophobic. They're xenophobes and homophobes. And some, I assume, are good people.

  10. #210
    Quantum sufficit

    Threegoofs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The birthplace of Italian Beef
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    26,661

    Re: Only 20% Think Debate About Global Warming Is Over

    Quote Originally Posted by Tim the plumber View Post
    The graph shows a temperature 30 years ago of about 0.3 and 0.8 now. That's 0.5. There are various data sets.
    Talk to Longview. I'm sure he will dispute this number.
    Many Trump supporters have lots of problems, and those deplorables are bringing those problems to us. They’re racists. They’re misogynists. They’re islamophobic. They're xenophobes and homophobes. And some, I assume, are good people.

Page 21 of 41 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •