Page 13 of 41 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 403

Thread: Only 20% Think Debate About Global Warming Is Over

  1. #121
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,207

    Re: Only 20% Think Debate About Global Warming Is Over

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Also not true.

    The largest, most-consistent money fueling the climate denial movement are a number of well-funded conservative foundations built with so-called "dark money," or concealed donations, according to an analysis released Friday afternoon.

    "Dark Money" Funds Climate Change Denial Effort - Scientific American

    Secret funding helped build vast network of climate denial thinktanks
    Anonymous billionaires donated $120m to more than 100 anti-climate groups working to discredit climate change science

    Secret funding helped build vast network of climate denial thinktanks | Environment | The Guardian
    What? Did you just throw a dart to find a post to respond to? Your content has zero, zip, nada, nothing to do with what I posted so your "Also not true" nonsense is just that, nonsense.

    As for what you posted, let's get a count on the hundreds of millions American billionaires have flooding into the environmental movement and their "charity" fronts here in Canada and the US to fight against Keystone, the Northern Gateway, and other pipeline projects.

    The naivety of the American left is a wonder to behold.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  2. #122
    Sage
    Tim the plumber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Sheffield
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,324

    Re: Only 20% Think Debate About Global Warming Is Over

    Originally Posted by longview View Post
    The evidence is that the Global average temperatures based on the GISS have increased by .8 C since 1880.
    At the same time CO2 levels have increased from 280 ppm to 401 ppm.
    The AGW predictions from the IPCC say doubling the CO2 level will result in a temperature
    increase between 1.5 and 4.5 C.
    Baede et al:

    We are 43% of our way to doubling CO2, but the diminishing response curve of CO2
    means we should have seen 52% of the effect, about .6°C.
    This means all of the remaining variables of warming are contained in .2°C, over 133 years.
    .2°C per century is well within the natural variability.
    Does this mean Human activity is not causing some warming, of course not,
    it does mean the warming will likely be in the low end of the IPCC prediction,
    and not catastrophic.
    We have real problems to worry about, without having to create artificial ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Verax View Post
    You're drawing a lot of conclusions and throwing a lot of things out there backed by what?
    That stuff up there, above your bit is called a scientifically made argument.

    Those number things need a basic understanding of science to make sense to you.

    The IPCC's reports are based upon the ideas posted by Longview. They also have a large positive forcing component by which a small initial warming is somehow magnified by other factors. This has not been shown and is at odds with the short term temperature records (going back 150 year max or so) and the evidence from longer term records from proxy sources.

    It is generally the skeptics who have read the science and understand the difference between a Watt, a degree, a Joule and a rate of change.

  3. #123
    Sage
    AlbqOwl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Mexico
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,572
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Only 20% Think Debate About Global Warming Is Over

    Quote Originally Posted by Verax View Post
    For one, Al Gore is not a scientist, he is a communicator. If you want to know the official positions of the AGW community, I suggest you read the IPCC reports.

    For two, did Al Gore really say "the Arctic ice will be gone by 2014?". If so please provide a source. My experience with deniers tells me that Gore probably said something or other that was creatively interpreted to mean that but did not mean that at all and this is just a bunch of nonsense.

    For three, even if he did say that (which I doubt he did), who cares? He is one guy in this world. Do you really base your belief systems and information from what a single person says?
    Setting aside your snide ad hominism, I did post a source. I suggest you go back and read it. And though Al Gore is not a scientist and simply a AGW opportunist, who can deny he is that? He has been given great weight, has been quoted again and again, and thousands bought his book and he received an Oscar for his movie and a Nobel Peace Prize for his efforts:

    The Nobel Peace Prize 2007 was awarded jointly to Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) and Albert Arnold (Al) Gore Jr. "for their efforts to build up and disseminate greater knowledge about man-made climate change, and to lay the foundations for the measures that are needed to counteract such change"

    IMO, all that accomplished was to demonstrate the sheep mentality of Hollywood and the utter bias and incompetence in the Nobel group that awards the Peace Prize. And believe me, I HAVE read the IPCC reports and also the informed rebuttals to the IPCC reports and, in my opinion, that organization has little credibility as anything other than an ultra-biased and somewhat dishonest tool of government that seeksmore and more power.
    "I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it." --Benjamin Franklin 1776

  4. #124
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Only 20% Think Debate About Global Warming Is Over

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    What? Did you just throw a dart to find a post to respond to? Your content has zero, zip, nada, nothing to do with what I posted so your "Also not true" nonsense is just that, nonsense.

    As for what you posted, let's get a count on the hundreds of millions American billionaires have flooding into the environmental movement and their "charity" fronts here in Canada and the US to fight against Keystone, the Northern Gateway, and other pipeline projects.

    The naivety of the American left is a wonder to behold.
    It does have something to do with it. Your side always makes excuses to ignore the science. There is no doubt that deniers are financially motivated directly, and not through the supposition your side tries to imply.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  5. #125
    Quantum sufficit

    Threegoofs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The birthplace of Italian Beef
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    26,664

    Re: Only 20% Think Debate About Global Warming Is Over

    Quote Originally Posted by AlbqOwl View Post
    They clarified it, dishonestly, in 2009 after which it was thoroughly debunked.

    .
    English, please.

    Debunked what?

    The fact that the vast majority of scientists and scientific organizations overwhelmingly support the IPCC and the broad conclusions it has made regarding AGW?

    Because your non-pro AGW site, NASA, gives NO indication of this.

    http://climate.nasa.gov/scientific-consensus/
    Many Trump supporters have lots of problems, and those deplorables are bringing those problems to us. They’re racists. They’re misogynists. They’re islamophobic. They're xenophobes and homophobes. And some, I assume, are good people.

  6. #126
    Assassin
    Verax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    9,530

    Re: Only 20% Think Debate About Global Warming Is Over

    Quote Originally Posted by Tim the plumber View Post
    That stuff up there, above your bit is called a scientifically made argument.

    Those number things need a basic understanding of science to make sense to you.

    The IPCC's reports are based upon the ideas posted by Longview. They also have a large positive forcing component by which a small initial warming is somehow magnified by other factors. This has not been shown and is at odds with the short term temperature records (going back 150 year max or so) and the evidence from longer term records from proxy sources.

    It is generally the skeptics who have read the science and understand the difference between a Watt, a degree, a Joule and a rate of change.
    I forgot about that. See the problem here is he took some numbers from the IPCC and then he drew conclusions himself from the data that are very different from the IPCC. I asked for backing of his conclusions and he responded by posting the source of the data which isn't in question.

  7. #127
    Assassin
    Verax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    9,530

    Re: Only 20% Think Debate About Global Warming Is Over

    Quote Originally Posted by AlbqOwl View Post
    Setting aside your snide ad hominism, I did post a source. I suggest you go back and read it. And though Al Gore is not a scientist and simply a AGW opportunist, who can deny he is that? He has been given great weight, has been quoted again and again, and thousands bought his book and he received an Oscar for his movie and a Nobel Peace Prize for his efforts:

    The Nobel Peace Prize 2007 was awarded jointly to Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) and Albert Arnold (Al) Gore Jr. "for their efforts to build up and disseminate greater knowledge about man-made climate change, and to lay the foundations for the measures that are needed to counteract such change"

    IMO, all that accomplished was to demonstrate the sheep mentality of Hollywood and the utter bias and incompetence in the Nobel group that awards the Peace Prize. And believe me, I HAVE read the IPCC reports and also the informed rebuttals to the IPCC reports and, in my opinion, that organization has little credibility as anything other than an ultra-biased and somewhat dishonest tool of government that seeksmore and more power.
    Ad Hom? LoL, you're not a denier??? You never posted a source for the Al Gore quote either??? You do realize that means posting a link to a credible source right?

    Al Gore is a communicator and he has done a fine job, he deserves the Nobel absolutely.

    You've read the IPCC reports and your opinion is they are dishonest? Is your opinion important? Are you a well respected scientist? If not, nobody cares. If you want to make an argument, you need to post evidence and logic to back your claims here in the forums.

  8. #128
    Assassin
    Verax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    9,530

    Re: Only 20% Think Debate About Global Warming Is Over

    Quote Originally Posted by Tim the plumber View Post
    I fully agree with your post.

    I am, however, shocked that it was you that said such a thing. I have not seen any evidence of a sound understanding of such basic science from you. I have seen a lot of religious support of the AGW hype.
    Why conflate science with religion? Seems a strange tactic when debating science, maybe it is you that is religious about the subject. I am heartbroken though that you think I don't understand science very well.

  9. #129
    Assassin
    Verax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    9,530

    Re: Only 20% Think Debate About Global Warming Is Over

    Quote Originally Posted by AlbqOwl View Post
    ...I did post a source. ...
    So I was reading back and saw you had posted something about sea ice with another poster. So Al Gore said "nearly ice-free in the Summer by 2014" and if you notice the ice is most definitely following that trend. So it could be off by a few years? Is this really your big doomsday prediction that has come and gone and proves AGW is all a bunch of nonsense?

    This is just grasping at straws on your part.

  10. #130
    Quantum sufficit

    Threegoofs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The birthplace of Italian Beef
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    26,664

    Re: Only 20% Think Debate About Global Warming Is Over

    Quote Originally Posted by Verax View Post
    So I was reading back and saw you had posted something about sea ice with another poster. So Al Gore said "nearly ice-free in the Summer by 2014" and if you notice the ice is most definitely following that trend. So it could be off by a few years? Is this really your big doomsday prediction that has come and gone and proves AGW is all a bunch of nonsense?

    This is just grasping at straws on your part.

    I bet he thinks the US Navy is in on the conspiracy too:

    US Navy predicts summer ice free Arctic by 2016 | Nafeez Ahmed | Environment | theguardian.com

    And of course, even his own ("non-pro-AGW") source, the NSIDC, thinks that the arctic will be ice free in a few decades:

    When will the Arctic lose its sea ice? | Icelights: Your Burning Questions About Ice & Climate

    New study: Seasonal Arctic summer ice extent still hard to forecast | National Snow and Ice Data Center
    Many Trump supporters have lots of problems, and those deplorables are bringing those problems to us. They’re racists. They’re misogynists. They’re islamophobic. They're xenophobes and homophobes. And some, I assume, are good people.

Page 13 of 41 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •