Page 10 of 41 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 403

Thread: Only 20% Think Debate About Global Warming Is Over

  1. #91
    Professor

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,610

    Re: Only 20% Think Debate About Global Warming Is Over

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    Progressive ****s sure love to use "polls" and "studies" to shove **** down people throats - why stop now?
    Well the poll in the orginal article got the result hat 60% of voters consider global warming a serious problem. Also what does it really mean that 20% of voters believe the scientific debate about global warming is not over? It can for example mean that they believe thet debate about the existing of and reason for global warming is over but not the scientific debate over it's consequences.

    Also in any democracy debate and sceptism is a good thing, but it also have to be a limit to it. For example that you can't insert a comment from a person that believes moon landing in a hoax in every article about the moonlanding.

    You can also have an historical outlock on todays debate on global warming. That coperations have a long history of fighting scientificc result and trying to creat doubt if they believe scientific findings threathen their profit.

    Take the cigarette compnanies that for decades did know that cigarette smoke was unhealthy but still succesfully promoted the idea that the evidence was inconclusive until the companies was exposed.


    http://cebp.aacrjournals.org/content/16/6/1070.long


    Also the debate on lead in petrol. From the start it was clear that it was dangereus with lead. But the oil company was so succesful at atacking science so it took to the 1970'sto start regulating the use of lead.


    Tetraethyllead - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia


    The Latest "Cosmos" Explains How Corporations Fund Science Denial | Mother Jones

    You have also regulare people that are not either dumb or evil, but just human. For example a mother during the 1980's that have allowed her son and daughter to start smoking on a early age, she would then really want to believe the cigarette company that it's probably safe. Instead of realising that she have allowed her children to smoke a dangeraus product.
    Last edited by Bergslagstroll; 07-13-14 at 10:39 AM.

  2. #92
    Advisor Iron Yank's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Last Seen
    12-21-16 @ 09:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    317

    Re: Only 20% Think Debate About Global Warming Is Over

    Quote Originally Posted by Middleground View Post
    We need to decrease CO2 in the atmosphere.It's that 'simple.'
    No we dont, this is mindless propaganda for the ignorant masses that apparently you've fallen for hook line & sinker. You really need to develop some crtitcal thinking skills.
    Last edited by Iron Yank; 07-13-14 at 11:02 AM.

  3. #93
    Quantum sufficit

    Threegoofs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The birthplace of Italian Beef
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    26,594

    Re: Only 20% Think Debate About Global Warming Is Over

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    I bet these AGW ****s have no idea how much carbon makes up our atmosphere.

    Those who know laugh because it's extremely minimal - even to an extent that it is a miracle that plants can survive..
    I'm pretty sure that every single scientist who is working on this issue is acutely aware of the % of CO2 in the atmosphere.

    And they aren't laughing because it's minimal. The overwhelming majority know AGW is very, very real.

    But many ARE laughing at your suggestion that plants are barely surviving because of CO2 concentrations.
    Many Trump supporters have lots of problems, and those deplorables are bringing those problems to us. They’re racists. They’re misogynists. They’re islamophobic. They're xenophobes and homophobes. And some, I assume, are good people.

  4. #94
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    Re: Only 20% Think Debate About Global Warming Is Over

    Quote Originally Posted by Bergslagstroll View Post
    Well the poll in the orginal article got the result hat 60% of voters consider global warming a serious problem. Also what does it really mean that 20% of voters believe the scientific debate about global warming is not over? It can for example mean that they believe thet debate about the existing of and reason for global warming is over but not the scientific debate over it's consequences.

    Also in any democracy debate and sceptism is a good thing, but it also have to be a limit to it. For example that you can't insert a comment from a person that believes moon landing in a hoax in every article about the moonlanding.

    You can also have an historical outlock on todays debate on global warming. That coperations have a long history of fighting scientificc result and trying to creat doubt if they believe scientific findings threathen their profit.

    Take the cigarette compnanies that for decades did know that cigarette smoke was unhealthy but still succesfully promoted the idea that the evidence was inconclusive until the companies was exposed.


    The Cigarette Controversy


    Also the debate on lead in petrol. From the start it was clear that it was dangereus with lead. But the oil company was so succesful at atacking science so it took to the 1970'sto start regulating the use of lead.


    Tetraethyllead - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia


    The Latest "Cosmos" Explains How Corporations Fund Science Denial | Mother Jones

    You have also regulare people that are not either dumb or evil, but just human. For example if you have allowed you son and daughter to start smoking on a early age, you would then really want to believe the cigarette company that it's probably safe. Instead of realising that you have allowed you children to smoke a dangeraus product.
    Of course people believe global warming is a serious problem - they have been brainwashed with the idea.

    Understanding the science is the difficult part, and the science is made up - it's absolutely preposterous... Don't get me wrong I believe the climate changes but to blame it on man is asinine, now obviously man has a role in our environment, however not enough of a roll to drastically change our environment.

    AGW hysteria is nothing more than a "power grab" - an attempt to grant money and regulate a capitalist economy under false pretenses.

    This idea is dangerous and it is a shame people believe it.

    All one needs to look at is the percentage of carbon in the atmosphere - that clearly points out bull****...

    Also, 50 years ago these nuts were talking about GLOBAL COOLING - not AGW........ Why do you think they call it "climate change" instead of global warming? these fools are confused themselves so "climate change" is a safe phrase.

  5. #95
    Advisor Iron Yank's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Last Seen
    12-21-16 @ 09:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    317

    Re: Only 20% Think Debate About Global Warming Is Over

    Quote Originally Posted by Bergslagstroll View Post
    Also in any democracy debate and sceptism is a good thing, but it also have to be a limit to it.
    So then you opine that the first Amendment should be rolled back and limited to what Liberal dogma permits?


    You can also have an historical outlock on todays debate on global warming. That coperations have a long history of fighting scientificc result and trying to creat doubt if they believe scientific findings threathen their profit.
    You mean like all thes phoney Green companies & folks like AlGore that need the lies to continue in order for there profits to keep coming?

    Take the cigarette compnanies that for decades did know that cigarette smoke was unhealthy but still succesfully promoted the idea that the evidence was inconclusive until the companies was exposed.
    Is this not somewhat simliar to all the fudged data found in East Anglia E-mails that proves they were lying but now despite this evidence they are full steam ahead with the lies despite the evidence of lying?

  6. #96
    Tavern Bartender
    Pussy Grabbin' Beaver
    Middleground's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Canada's Capital
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    22,455
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Only 20% Think Debate About Global Warming Is Over

    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Yank View Post
    No we dont, this is mindless propaganda for the ignorant masses that apparently you've fallen for hook line & sinker. You really need to develop some crtitcal thinking skills.
    So why is the planet warming?
    “No men are anywhere, and I’m allowed to go in, because I’m the owner of the pageant and therefore I’m inspecting it,” Trump said... “‘Is everyone OK’? You know, they’re standing there with no clothes. ‘Is everybody OK?’ And you see these incredible looking women, and so I sort of get away with things like that.”

  7. #97
    Sage
    AlbqOwl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Mexico
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,522
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Only 20% Think Debate About Global Warming Is Over

    Quote Originally Posted by Verax View Post
    Straw man - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia





    Mainstream AGW science never predicted "doomsday" scenarios by 2014. The hyperbole of this is also deceptive. The effects of global warming are more about grinding consequences that worsen many human scenarios around the world than some kind of doomsday cataclysm.
    Maybe predictions that the ice caps will melt, coastal cities will flood, and all the other 'predictions' of runaway anthropogenic created CO2 aren't 'doomsday predictions' to you. But they sure look that way to me.

    I've been following this stuff since the 1970's and noting when this was supposed to happen or that was supposed to happen. Did you forget that in 2007 Al Gore was amassing his fortune by declaring that the Arctic ocean would be ice free by 2014? But non of the AGW religionists are criticizing him now are they?

    We are in the middle of summer in 2014 and the ice coverage is pretty normal--no danger that ice melt will be as much as that of at least five other years in the very short (33 years) period that records have been kept of ice melt. So everybody moved the goal posts to 2050 that the great melt is expected to be a done deal. That gives them another 35 or so years to take more liberties, choices, options, and opportunities away from the people and solidify their personal fortunes before they have to ignore how wrong they got that too and move the 'doomsday' prophecy dates again.
    "I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it." --Benjamin Franklin 1776

  8. #98
    Quantum sufficit

    Threegoofs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The birthplace of Italian Beef
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    26,594

    Re: Only 20% Think Debate About Global Warming Is Over

    Quote Originally Posted by AlbqOwl View Post
    Maybe predictions that the ice caps will melt, coastal cities will flood, and all the other 'predictions' of runaway anthropogenic created CO2 aren't 'doomsday predictions' to you. But they sure look that way to me.

    I've been following this stuff since the 1970's and noting when this was supposed to happen or that was supposed to happen. Did you forget that in 2007 Al Gore was amassing his fortune by declaring that the Arctic ocean would be ice free by 2014? But non of the AGW religionists are criticizing him now are they?

    We are in the middle of summer in 2014 and the ice coverage is pretty normal--no danger that ice melt will be as much as that of at least five other years in the very short (33 years) period that records have been kept of ice melt. So everybody moved the goal posts to 2050 that the great melt is expected to be a done deal. That gives them another 35 or so years to take more liberties, choices, options, and opportunities away from the people and solidify their personal fortunes before they have to ignore how wrong they got that too and move the 'doomsday' prophecy again.
    Maybe you're not aware of the data on arctic sea ice.



    See that big bounce back recently? Not too impressive.

    And while you seem like you really believe what you're saying, please note that Gore said that 'some scientists believe that the arctic could be ice free in the summer of 2015'. Looks like we are definitely headed that direction, although it's a decade or two away....which is what MOST scientists had predicted.
    Many Trump supporters have lots of problems, and those deplorables are bringing those problems to us. They’re racists. They’re misogynists. They’re islamophobic. They're xenophobes and homophobes. And some, I assume, are good people.

  9. #99
    Sage
    AlbqOwl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Mexico
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,522
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Only 20% Think Debate About Global Warming Is Over

    Quote Originally Posted by Threegoofs View Post
    Maybe you're not aware of the data on arctic sea ice.



    See that big bounce back recently? Not too impressive.

    And while you seem like you really believe what you're saying, please note that Gore said that 'some scientists believe that the arctic could be ice free in the summer of 2015'. Looks like we are definitely headed that direction, although it's a decade or two away....which is what MOST scientists had predicted.
    I'm getting my ice cap data from the government agency who reports it every single month. I don't take it from pro-AGW message board sites.

    As for Al Gore, he had revised his predictions a bit by 2009:

    New computer modeling suggests the Arctic Ocean may be nearly ice-free in summer as early as 2014, Al Gore said today at the U.N. climate conference in Copenhagen

    The former vice president said the new projections suggest an almost-vanished summer ice cap could disappear much earlier than foreseen by a U.S. government agency just eight months.

    "It is hard to capture the astonishment that the experts in the science of ice felt when they saw this," Gore told reporters and other conference participants at a joint briefing with Scandinavian officials and scientists, his first appearance at the two-week session.

    Update at 3:58 p.m. ET: "Some of the models suggest that there is a 75 percent chance that the entire north polar ice cap during some of the summer months will be completely ice-free within the next five to seven years," Gore said.

    Afterward his office clarified his statement, saying he meant nearly ice-free, because ice would be expected to survive in island channels and other locations. . . .
    Gore: Polar ice cap may disappear by summer 2014

    Which makes one wonder how many times those computer models will have to be wrong before at least some of the AGW religionists will also become skeptics?
    "I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it." --Benjamin Franklin 1776

  10. #100
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    12,446
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Only 20% Think Debate About Global Warming Is Over

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    Didn't you just do exactly what you claim j-mac was doing - i.e. insult him for posting a poll rather than debate the merits of the poll?

    Part of the problem with environmental science is that it is entirely counter to people's own experiences and all of the remedies appear to be ones that almost totally destroy the lifestyle people have worked hard to create. No wonder people, those well informed and those not well informed, challenge the validity of the "science" presented to them.
    Wonder how many lost civilizations would be around if they had listened to those saying "I think we may have a problem here."

    They listened to their Koch brothers, though, and we can see where that got them.
    Anyone wondering what I'm talking about start here:
    The Psychology of Persuasion

Page 10 of 41 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •