Page 14 of 26 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 255

Thread: US economy adds 288,000 jobs in June

  1. #131
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,270

    Re: US economy adds 288,000 jobs in June

    Quote Originally Posted by pinqy View Post
    ummm you seem to be having trouble understanding the charts, too. The current U-4 is unemployed plus discouraged as a percent of the labor force plus discouraged. This is the new definition as of 1994. The official rate previously was the U-5 which is the same as the current U-3 with one small change (the change has nothing do do with discouraged).

    But you were talking about the OFFICIAL definition:
    And the OFFICIAL definition, from 1967 to 1993 was Answer yes or no...in that OFFICIAL definition, would those who have not looked for work in the last 4 weeks because they believed they wouldn't find work be included or not?

    And further, your own link proves you wrong. In discussing the old alternative measures, they write "The last of Shiskin's measures, U-7, built on U-6 by adding the number of discouraged workers to both the numerator and denominator. Shiskin assumed that people classified as discouraged workers-those who wanted work, but who were not currently looking because they believed that their search would be futile-very much resemble the unempled and therefore should be counted as such. (Because these persons were not looking for work at the time of the survey they were officially classified as not in the labor force.)"

    So, one more time...I gave you the pre-1994 and current definitions. There was a change in definition, yes. Can you even tell?

    1967-1993 Definition: Unemployed persons comprise all persons who did not work during the survey week, who made specific efforts to find a job within the past 4 weeks, and who were available for work during the survey week (except for temporary illness). Also included as unemployed are those who did not work at all, were available for work, and (a) were waiting to be called back to a job from which
    they had been laid off; or (b) were waiting to report to a new wage or salary job within 30 days.

    1994 to current DefinitionL Unemployed persons. All persons who had no employment during the reference week, were available for work, except for temporary illness, and had made specific efforts to find employment some time during the 4-week period ending with the reference week. Persons who were waiting to be recalled to a job from which they had been laid off need not have been looking for work to be classified as unemployed.
    Sorry but changing the definition of a discouraged worker doesn't change the fact that discouraged workers aren't counted in the official unemployment percentage released to the public but are in the U-6 rate. Seems you have a problem understanding that.

    As a general practice, discouraged workers, who are often classified as marginally attached to the labor force, on the margins of the labor force, or as part of hidden unemployment, are not considered part of the labor force, and are thus not counted in most official unemployment rates—which influences the appearance and interpretation of unemployment statistics. Although some countries offer alternative measures of unemployment rate, the existence of discouraged workers can be inferred from a low employment-to-population ratio.
    This country offers the U-6 rate which most low information voters ignore.

  2. #132
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Jersey
    Last Seen
    11-15-16 @ 01:29 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    1,532

    Re: US economy adds 288,000 jobs in June

    Economic Stimulus during Difficult times has worked for over 100 Years

    "In essence, during the course of the depression, Britain took the course of static supply adjustment while Germany stimulated effective demand and expanded industrial supply capacity by increasing and adjusting capital formation. For example, Germany dramatically increased investment with regard to social overhead capital, such as in the management of electric power transmission lines, roads, and railroads, while this input stagnated or decreased in Britain and the investment helped to stimulate industrial demand in Germany. The resulting difference in capital formation accounts for the divergent levels of industrial production in the two countries and the different growth rates during and after the depression.[36]"

  3. #133
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,270

    Re: US economy adds 288,000 jobs in June

    Quote Originally Posted by Buddha C View Post
    Economic Stimulus during Difficult times has worked for over 100 Years

    "In essence, during the course of the depression, Britain took the course of static supply adjustment while Germany stimulated effective demand and expanded industrial supply capacity by increasing and adjusting capital formation. For example, Germany dramatically increased investment with regard to social overhead capital, such as in the management of electric power transmission lines, roads, and railroads, while this input stagnated or decreased in Britain and the investment helped to stimulate industrial demand in Germany. The resulting difference in capital formation accounts for the divergent levels of industrial production in the two countries and the different growth rates during and after the depression.[36]"
    There is no greater stimulus in a private sector economy than to allow people to keep more of what they earn. Govt. strings attached to any stimulus is nothing more than micromanagement and will lead to the failure we see today. Rebate checks aren't the answer and never will be, actual rate cuts are but not to big govt. liberals who don't believe people spend their own money right.

  4. #134
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Jersey
    Last Seen
    11-15-16 @ 01:29 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    1,532

    Re: US economy adds 288,000 jobs in June

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    There is no greater stimulus in a private sector economy than to allow people to keep more of what they earn. Govt. strings attached to any stimulus is nothing more than micromanagement and will lead to the failure we see today. Rebate checks aren't the answer and never will be, actual rate cuts are but not to big govt. liberals who don't believe people spend their own money right.
    Rebate checks?

    Please look up the definition of Social Overhead Capital.

    In fact, just so I'm not the douche I generally am I'll send you short script: Strategy of unbalanced growth - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

  5. #135
    Guru
    pinqy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    4,372

    Re: US economy adds 288,000 jobs in June

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Sorry but changing the definition of a discouraged worker doesn't change the fact that discouraged workers aren't counted in the official unemployment percentage released to the public but are in the U-6 rate. Seems you have a problem understanding that.
    They're included in the U-4, U-5 and U-6. The point is they have NEVER been included in the official definition, although a version was included before 1967.

    Why is it so hard for you to admit that you were misinformed about them being removed from the official definition in 1994? You can plainly see they were not removed because they weren't in it.
    Therefore, since the world has still/Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure/Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would,/And train for ill and not for good.

  6. #136
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,270

    Re: US economy adds 288,000 jobs in June

    Quote Originally Posted by pinqy View Post
    They're included in the U-4, U-5 and U-6. The point is they have NEVER been included in the official definition, although a version was included before 1967.

    Why is it so hard for you to admit that you were misinformed about them being removed from the official definition in 1994? You can plainly see they were not removed because they weren't in it.
    Not hard at all, because the official rate excludes the discouraged workers. Why is that so hard to get through your head. Here is the chart that is so hard for the left to understand. thanks for acknowledging that the U-3 Rate which is the official reported number doesn't include discouraged workers.

    Labor Force Statistics from the Current Population Survey
    Original Data Value

    Series Id: LNS13327709
    Seasonally Adjusted
    Series title: (seas) Total unemployed, plus all marginally attached workers plus total employed part time for economic reasons, as a percent of all civilian labor force plus all marginally attached workers
    Labor force status: Aggregated totals unemployed
    Type of data: Percent or rate
    Age: 16 years and over
    Percent/rates: Unemployed and mrg attached and pt for econ reas as percent of labor force plus marg attached
    Years: 2004 to 2014

    Year Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec
    2004 9.9 9.7 10.0 9.6 9.6 9.5 9.5 9.4 9.4 9.7 9.4 9.2
    2005 9.3 9.3 9.1 8.9 8.9 9.0 8.8 8.9 9.0 8.7 8.7 8.6
    2006 8.4 8.4 8.2 8.1 8.2 8.4 8.5 8.4 8.0 8.2 8.1 7.9
    2007 8.4 8.2 8.0 8.2 8.2 8.3 8.4 8.4 8.4 8.4 8.4 8.8
    2008 9.2 9.0 9.1 9.2 9.7 10.1 10.5 10.8 11.0 11.8 12.6 13.6
    2009 14.2 15.2 15.8 15.9 16.5 16.5 16.4 16.7 16.7 17.1 17.1 17.1
    2010 16.7 17.0 17.1 17.2 16.6 16.4 16.4 16.5 16.8 16.6 16.9 16.6
    2011 16.1 16.0 15.9 16.1 15.8 16.1 16.0 16.1 16.3 15.9 15.6 15.2
    2012 15.1 15.0 14.5 14.6 14.8 14.8 14.9 14.7 14.7 14.4 14.4 14.4
    2013 14.4 14.3 13.8 13.9 13.8 14.2 13.9 13.6 13.6 13.7 13.1 13.1
    2014 12.7 12.6 12.7 12.3 12.2 12.1

  7. #137
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Jersey
    Last Seen
    11-15-16 @ 01:29 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    1,532

    Re: US economy adds 288,000 jobs in June

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    There is no greater stimulus in a private sector economy than to allow people to keep more of what they earn. Govt. strings attached to any stimulus is nothing more than micromanagement and will lead to the failure we see today. Rebate checks aren't the answer and never will be, actual rate cuts are but not to big govt. liberals who don't believe people spend their own money right.
    I'm not trying to call you stupid, but you should really check out my post from the previous page that was likely overlooked as it was the last one.

    Quote Originally Posted by Buddha C View Post
    Why would Anyone still be stupid enough to believe that tax cuts lead to Economic growth? Even that useless retard reagan, who instigated the trickle-down drivel, didn't believe that.

    ""Rather than proposing unpopular spending cuts, Republicans would push through popular tax cuts, with the deliberate intention of worsening the government’s fiscal position. Spending cuts could then be sold as a necessity rather than a choice, the only way to eliminate an unsustainable budget deficit.""

  8. #138
    Guru
    pinqy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    4,372

    Re: US economy adds 288,000 jobs in June

    Quote Originally Posted by DA60 View Post
    I know I said I wouldn't, but I just cannot resist...

    so John Williams lied about this?

    'lie
    noun
    1.
    a false statement made with deliberate intent to deceive; an intentional untruth; a falsehood. Synonyms: prevarication, falsification. Antonyms: truth.'


    Lie | Define Lie at Dictionary.com


    A lie requires intent. And since you CANNOT know what John Williams intent was when he made said statements (unless he stated them each time), then you cannot know his intent.

    So where is your proof of his intent or do you just commit defamations of character as a hobby?


    Plus, you say he 'likes to tell' this supposed lie.

    Are you personally familiar with him? Has he told you that he derives pleasure from uttering said statement? Because unless he has - and you can prove it - then it appears that you are just going around putting words in his mouth.

    And if you cannot prove it and you admit that you made the statement knowing you could not prove it...then it appears that it is you that is guilty of telling a lie.
    Actually, by your own definition, you would have to prove my intent. Which, since you cannot know my intent since I did not state it and you cannot read my mind, then you cannot, by your own logic, accuse me of lying either.

    But then you're known for demanding a different standard of other people than yourself.
    Therefore, since the world has still/Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure/Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would,/And train for ill and not for good.

  9. #139
    Guru
    pinqy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    4,372

    Re: US economy adds 288,000 jobs in June

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Not hard at all, because the official rate excludes the discouraged workers. Why is that so hard to get through your head. Here is the chart that is so hard for the left to understand. thanks for acknowledging that the U-3 Rate which is the official reported number doesn't include discouraged workers.
    I never said it did. When will you admit that the official definition NEVER did? They were not "removed" in 1994, because they weren't there to remove!
    Therefore, since the world has still/Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure/Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would,/And train for ill and not for good.

  10. #140
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,270

    Re: US economy adds 288,000 jobs in June

    Quote Originally Posted by Buddha C View Post
    I'm not trying to call you stupid, but you should really check out my post from the previous page that was likely overlooked as it was the last one.
    What you fail to understand is that the problem we have is a spending problem not people keeping more of what they earn. Quite frankly I am getting tired of arguing for you to keep more of what you earn. Just send your paycheck to the govt. and maybe they will send back what they think you need to live on

    The 3.9 trillion dollar Federal Govt. budget never is a problem with liberals and certainly is never enough to provide for the liberal spending appetite. You see, liberals like you think only with your heart and as long as you are told it is spending in the name of compassion that is fine with you regardless of the fact that we aren't getting compassionate results

    What is compassionate about 12.1 percent of 156 million Americans not working, being under employed, or discouraged?

    Labor Force Statistics from the Current Population Survey
    Original Data Value

    Series Id: LNS13327709
    Seasonally Adjusted
    Series title: (seas) Total unemployed, plus all marginally attached workers plus total employed part time for economic reasons, as a percent of all civilian labor force plus all marginally attached workers
    Labor force status: Aggregated totals unemployed
    Type of data: Percent or rate
    Age: 16 years and over
    Percent/rates: Unemployed and mrg attached and pt for econ reas as percent of labor force plus marg attached
    Years: 2004 to 2014

    Year Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec
    2004 9.9 9.7 10.0 9.6 9.6 9.5 9.5 9.4 9.4 9.7 9.4 9.2
    2005 9.3 9.3 9.1 8.9 8.9 9.0 8.8 8.9 9.0 8.7 8.7 8.6
    2006 8.4 8.4 8.2 8.1 8.2 8.4 8.5 8.4 8.0 8.2 8.1 7.9
    2007 8.4 8.2 8.0 8.2 8.2 8.3 8.4 8.4 8.4 8.4 8.4 8.8
    2008 9.2 9.0 9.1 9.2 9.7 10.1 10.5 10.8 11.0 11.8 12.6 13.6
    2009 14.2 15.2 15.8 15.9 16.5 16.5 16.4 16.7 16.7 17.1 17.1 17.1
    2010 16.7 17.0 17.1 17.2 16.6 16.4 16.4 16.5 16.8 16.6 16.9 16.6
    2011 16.1 16.0 15.9 16.1 15.8 16.1 16.0 16.1 16.3 15.9 15.6 15.2
    2012 15.1 15.0 14.5 14.6 14.8 14.8 14.9 14.7 14.7 14.4 14.4 14.4
    2013 14.4 14.3 13.8 13.9 13.8 14.2 13.9 13.6 13.6 13.7 13.1 13.1
    2014 12.7 12.6 12.7 12.3 12.2 12.1

Page 14 of 26 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •