Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 25

Thread: College GOP chairman resigns, joining Democrats

  1. #1
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,746

    College GOP chairman resigns, joining Democrats

    The chairman of the Mississippi Federation of College Republicans has resigned his post and "will be changing my party affiliation to Democrat in the next few days."
    Evan Alvarez resigned his post this morning, which was made public by a release sent out by MFCR with a copy of his resignation. In the letter, he says that tea party activists have too much of a voice in the party, "and because of that, the platform of the Republican Party has shifted too far to the right in my opinion." In a separate email to me, he says he has already begun talking with Democrats about joining their party.
    A sign of the times. The extremist elements in the GOP are driving some of the mainstream members away. So much for the big tent The Republican Party used to have.

    Article is here.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  2. #2
    Electrician
    Bob Blaylock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    North 38°28′ West 121°26′
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,745

    Re: College GOP chairman resigns, joining Democrats

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    A sign of the times. The extremist elements in the GOP are driving some of the mainstream members away. So much for the big tent The Republican Party used to have.

    Article is here.
    The article has failed to indicate to me any reason why anyone should care more about this turncoat than any other who chooses to switch party affiliations in either direction.
    The five great lies of the Left Wrong:
    We can be Godless and free. • “Social justice” through forced redistribution of wealth. • Silencing religious opinions counts as “diversity”. • Freedom without moral and personal responsibility. • Civilization can survive the intentional undermining of the family.

  3. #3
    Preserve Protect Defend
    Beaudreaux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Covfefe, NC
    Last Seen
    12-12-17 @ 06:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,566

    Re: College GOP chairman resigns, joining Democrats

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    A sign of the times. The extremist elements in the GOP are driving some of the mainstream members away. So much for the big tent The Republican Party used to have.

    Article is here.
    Because of the extremists that have seized power within the GOP, I too am having a hard time remaining registered as a Republican. However, the way to effect change and prevent the destruction of the party is not to abandon it. That's the only reason that I haven't jumped ship already. Also, if I ever do leave the GOP, it will not be to join any other party, especially the Democratic party given that they think it's okay to ignore the Constitution as long as it benefits their agenda.

    I'm a Goldwater Republican. Unfortunately, it appears that we are a dying breed.

    And, if the Democrats think that all this bad discourse within the GOP helps them, they need to put the corks back in the champagne bottles and look at the latest polls regarding Obama and Congress.

    The country is moving away from the two major parties en masse. The June 5-8 Gallop records show that 24% consider themselves Republican, 28% consider themselves Democrats and, 46% consider themselves Independents. In the same poll, the independents were asked which party they lean more toward, and of those 46% of voters - it was dead even - 44% Republican and 44% Democrat, which leaves 22% of Independents (a full 10% of registered voters) that do not even lean toward either party.

  4. #4
    Educator
    mtm1963's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    05-25-17 @ 04:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,067

    Re: College GOP chairman resigns, joining Democrats

    the guy seems naive. he is giving up and switching parties.
    Go Vols

  5. #5
    cynical class clown
    Luftwaffe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    CONNECTICUT
    Last Seen
    11-18-17 @ 10:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    10,499

    Re: College GOP chairman resigns, joining Democrats

    Quote Originally Posted by mtm1963 View Post
    the guy seems naive. he is giving up and switching parties.
    How exactly does that constitute as being naive?
    -----MOS 19D = cavalry scout = best damn MOS there is

  6. #6
    Educator
    mtm1963's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    05-25-17 @ 04:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,067

    Re: College GOP chairman resigns, joining Democrats

    Quote Originally Posted by Luftwaffe View Post
    How exactly does that constitute as being naive?
    he seems to be unaware. did he not understand the environment that existed when taking the post?

    i can understand resigning a position but switching parties because of the situation?
    Go Vols

  7. #7
    Electrician
    Bob Blaylock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    North 38°28′ West 121°26′
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,745

    Re: College GOP chairman resigns, joining Democrats

    Quote Originally Posted by Beaudreaux View Post
    Because of the extremists that have seized power within the GOP, I too am having a hard time remaining registered as a Republican. However, the way to effect change and prevent the destruction of the party is not to abandon it. That's the only reason that I haven't jumped ship already. Also, if I ever do leave the GOP, it will not be to join any other party, especially the Democratic party given that they think it's okay to ignore the Constitution as long as it benefits their agenda.
    Of course, it is those who you label as “extremists” who stand for the values that set the Republican party apart from and above the Democratic party. Remove them from the Republican party, and all that will be left will be just another version of the Democratic party calling itself “Republican”.
    The five great lies of the Left Wrong:
    We can be Godless and free. • “Social justice” through forced redistribution of wealth. • Silencing religious opinions counts as “diversity”. • Freedom without moral and personal responsibility. • Civilization can survive the intentional undermining of the family.

  8. #8
    Preserve Protect Defend
    Beaudreaux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Covfefe, NC
    Last Seen
    12-12-17 @ 06:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,566

    Re: College GOP chairman resigns, joining Democrats

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Blaylock View Post
    Of course, it is those who you label as “extremists” who stand for the values that set the Republican party apart from and above the Democratic party. Remove them from the Republican party, and all that will be left will be just another version of the Democratic party calling itself “Republican”.
    Ummmm... No.

    Do some reading regarding Barry Goldwater, and you'll see why I said no. There's hardly anything that I believe in that even comes close to what the Democratic Party believes. From fiscal issues to social issues. Also, the difference between what I believe and what the right wing extremists believe is that I do not believe in hating anyone just because they're different than me, discriminating against anyone for any reason, or denying any other citizen of this country the exact same rights that I have under the Constitution. Additionally, unlike the extremist, I believe in the entire Constitution, not just the parts that agree with my opinion or position.

    So, again.... no.

    And to help save you some time looking up Goldwater, here's one quote that describes this discussion very clearly:

    Berry Goldwater quote

    Mark my word, if and when these preachers get control of the [Republican] party, and they're sure trying to do so, it's going to be a terrible damn problem. Frankly, these people frighten me. Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise. I know, I've tried to deal with them.
    .....
    The religious factions that are growing throughout our land are not using their religious clout with wisdom.... I'm frankly sick and tired of the political preachers across this country telling me as a citizen that if I want to be a moral person, I must believe in 'A,' 'B,' 'C,' and 'D.' Just who do they think they are?... I will fight them every step of the way if they try to dictate their moral convictions to all Americans in the name of "conservatism."

  9. #9
    Sage
    Perotista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,934
    Blog Entries
    25

    Re: College GOP chairman resigns, joining Democrats

    Quote Originally Posted by Beaudreaux View Post
    Ummmm... No.

    Do some reading regarding Barry Goldwater, and you'll see why I said no. There's hardly anything that I believe in that even comes close to what the Democratic Party believes. From fiscal issues to social issues. Also, the difference between what I believe and what the right wing extremists believe is that I do not believe in hating anyone just because they're different than me, discriminating against anyone for any reason, or denying any other citizen of this country the exact same rights that I have under the Constitution. Additionally, unlike the extremist, I believe in the entire Constitution, not just the parts that agree with my opinion or position.

    So, again.... no.

    And to help save you some time looking up Goldwater, here's one quote that describes this discussion very clearly:
    My first presidential vote went to Barry Goldwater back in 1964. The third tenet of a traditional conservative is: Small Government - Keeping government out of a citizens private business and lives. Barry, the supposedly father of modern day conservatism also was in favor of keeping government out of abortion, it is strictly up to the woman. Also, back then gay marriage wasn't even thought of, but gays in the military was. Barry was quoted either back in 1963 or 64, "You do not have to be straight to shoot straight."

    Goldwater is sort of a political mentor to me.
    This Reform Party member thinks it is high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first and their political party further down the line. But for way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.

  10. #10
    Preserve Protect Defend
    Beaudreaux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Covfefe, NC
    Last Seen
    12-12-17 @ 06:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,566

    Re: College GOP chairman resigns, joining Democrats

    Quote Originally Posted by Perotista View Post
    My first presidential vote went to Barry Goldwater back in 1964. The third tenet of a traditional conservative is: Small Government - Keeping government out of a citizens private business and lives. Barry, the supposedly father of modern day conservatism also was in favor of keeping government out of abortion, it is strictly up to the woman. Also, back then gay marriage wasn't even thought of, but gays in the military was. Barry was quoted either back in 1963 or 64, "You do not have to be straight to shoot straight."

    Goldwater is sort of a political mentor to me.
    Amen.

    As I read more and more about Goldwater, I find that my opinions and feelings about issues is nothing new at all - that Goldwater got there a long time before I did. In fact, it was about ~25 years ago, at a local Republican party meeting, that when I gave my opinions about a number of issues (many of which were in contrast to the others there), that one of the men in the meeting asked if my name was Barry Goldwater. I knew who Goldwater was of course, but had not really read anything about him, until after that night.

    We sure need another Goldwater to rise up within the party, and quickly.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •